Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Baker Air Ride System for RT's

http://www.bakerbuiltairwings.com/pr...?prod=SPYRTIAS

Anyone ever use the Baker Air Ride System on their RT???

I'm going to do away with my troublesome factory air ride system on my 14 RTS...I have my own idea and parts to do it...I plan to do it next month when doing my yearly maintenance...But this set up from Baker Air Wings also caught my eye...ANYONE TRY IT or KNOW ANYONE THAT HAS???

THANK YOU, larryd

Spyder Garage

I installed one a few years ago on my 2012 RT. I really liked it. It was straight forward to install, and had good instructions.
    I have a 2016 RTL now, and I miss the pressure gage. With that you could tell at a glance how hard or soft the suspension was. The compressor did go out after several years, but it is very easy to replace and you can get one online for about $30.46CADE5C-834D-4E92-974C-958F678F0911.jpg
    Sorry about the picture, it was right side up when I uploaded it.

2022 Spyder RT Limited Sea to Sky Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by george123 View Post
    I installed one a few years ago on my 2012 RT. I really liked it. It was straight forward to install, and had good instructions.
    I have a 2016 RTL now, and I miss the pressure gage. With that you could tell at a glance how hard or soft the suspension was. The compressor did go out after several years, but it is very easy to replace and you can get one online for about $30.46CADE5C-834D-4E92-974C-958F678F0911.jpg
    Sorry about the picture, it was right side up when I uploaded it.
    George123, Thank You for your reply...Could you also let the air out at the gauge control panel?? I did call Bakers and they are sending me the directions...I talk to 3 people there and no one there could tell me...THANK YOU, larryd

Spyder Garage

The red button adds air, and to the left of the gage is a valve stem that you can press to release air.

2022 Spyder RT Limited Sea to Sky Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by george123 View Post
    The red button adds air, and to the left of the gage is a valve stem that you can press to release air.
    THANK YOU george123...I would think this kit would be a "MUST HAVE" for all RT base models...And a cheap fix for all the RTS & RTL owners with ongoing air ride failures when out of warranty...larryd

Spyder Garage

Interesting thread...Went to the link posted, learned the unit sells for $175.00 Very poor description of what you get, and no installation information. How does this work on an RT? Do you get new shocks along with the compressor and button panel? Just askin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Clayvis View Post
    Interesting thread...Went to the link posted, learned the unit sells for $175.00 Very poor description of what you get, and no installation information. How does this work on an RT? Do you get new shocks along with the compressor and button panel? Just askin
    I called Bakers and they sent me the installation instructions in the mail...

The base model RT's do not have the factory installed air compressors for the air ride systems...They have a air valve under the seat that requires you to manually air up the air spring (air bag) from a off machine outside air source...No RT's have air shocks to the best of my knowledge...larryd

Spyder Garage

The air bag is really just a ride-levelling device, it is separate from & has little to do with any of your shocks & coils, altho if you ride with a passenger often, you will quickly discover that no air in the air bag for whatever reason means you'll bottom out the suspension fairly frequently!

As Larry said above, the base model RT's don't get the onboard compressor nor do they get dash controlled adjustment, so the Bakers kit is one relatively cheap & simple way of getting both on your base model RT; and since the OE Compressors are not all that robust & are also quite expensive & difficult to replace, the Bakers kit can often get your up-market/higher spec RT back on the road somewhat cheaper & quicker than replacing a blown OE spec compressor with either another OE spec replacement or with one of the form, fit (well, almost), & function A/mkt alternative options out there.

As with most of the Bakers gear, it's all good, reasonably cheap, and simple too!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-24-2019 at 12:56 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Peter thanks for posting this. I’ve been futzing around with the ”comfort” setting on my RTL and really can’t tell a difference other than the rear being higher or lower. I always ride solo so I guess I’m ok no matter the setting.
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 01-24-2019 at 10:06 AM.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Thanks for clearing that up for me Peter. I did not realize that our RT has an air bag. I was told the air suspension thingy was only on the Limited Models...I will look for the manual fill valve under the seat... No sure why some sales people have such limited product knowledge...

Spyder Garage

If your RT has that little Schraeder Air Valve thingy under the seat (technical term, sorry ) then you've got an air bag under there! But the air bag is completely separate from the shock/coil, and as mentioned above, it really only adjusts the ride height for the load you have on it, so the Softer/Harder labelling on the Dash display is just a tad deceptive.... & the Owner's manual isn't really all that helpful either!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

UPDATE! I am so happy and grateful that I joined this site! When I looked under the seat of our RT, low and behold, there was a Schraeder valve Peter mentioned. I guess I had seen it before, but never thought about it. So I stick my tire gauge on it to see what the pressure was....and the gauge read ZERO! So I fired up my shop compressor and put some air in...The rear end immediately raised up several inches...So I again checked the pressure, and it was over the limit of my gauge! So, a quick check of the owners manual showed that the pressure should be between 20 and 90 psi. I set it at 45. We have not ridden it since the change as the weather has sucked. But planning on a ride this weekend...I am expecting to notice some difference. My questions are: 1.) why did the dealer NOT put any air in the system? 2.) Why did they not tell me we had an air adjustable suspension? I had to learn about it here! Bad dealer, bad dealer! Going to take it elsewhere for service...(it's a big town with multiple dealers.) Again, big thanks to folks on this forum!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Clayvis View Post
    UPDATE! I am so happy and grateful that I joined this site! When I looked under the seat of our RT, low and behold, there was a Schraeder valve Peter mentioned. I guess I had seen it before, but never thought about it. So I stick my tire gauge on it to see what the pressure was....and the gauge read ZERO! So I fired up my shop compressor and put some air in...The rear end immediately raised up several inches...So I again checked the pressure, and it was over the limit of my gauge! So, a quick check of the owners manual showed that the pressure should be between 20 and 90 psi. I set it at 45. We have not ridden it since the change as the weather has sucked. But planning on a ride this weekend...I am expecting to notice some difference. My questions are: 1.) why did the dealer NOT put any air in the system? 2.) Why did they not tell me we had an air adjustable suspension? I had to learn about it here! Bad dealer, bad dealer! Going to take it elsewhere for service...(it's a big town with multiple dealers.) Again, big thanks to folks on this forum!
    When we ride two up I find the pressure works best between 60 & 80 psi...But were both a little on the fat side...The air bag is small and every time you check the air pressure with a gauge you loose several pounds...so you may just fill it to 50 and after checking it once it will probably be very close to 45...Play with the pressure and see what works for you...Also depending on temperatures and slight leaks you may want to check it before every ride...Or better yet invest in the Baker Kit...Update us with your findings...larryd

Spyder Garage

The up / down of the rear end also changes the aim of the front head lights. If you lower the rear the lights will seem to shine farther out in front of you. And visa versa, raise the rear and they don't reach out as far. I use this if I'm traveling behind someone and don't want to shine my lights into their rear view mirrors.

Spyder Garage

Clayvis, I had a leak develop in my '13 RTL's compressor backflow valve I discovered while on a long ride that my bike would leak down and eventually cause the fuse to blow. So set that pressure on the air bag and check it a couple few days later. If it's leaking down there are other issues to check out before taking any really long trips (like 4000+ miles). We ended up using a portable cordless air pump numerous times while driving back from Dayton OH to Minnesota last year. Found out the check valve was bad.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

All good advice guys. Keep it coming! I am more interested in the Baker system now...But I have to make sure it is working properly first...not leaking etc..still pi$$ed that the dealer put us 2 up on brand new RT with NO air in the system, and no mention that it even existed.

Spyder Garage

Just some additional info on the Baker compressor system. There are two installation videos on youtube.com

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H325EL9pNns
    Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErHcj3TGqhY

I haven't ordered one yet but probably will soon.. Certainly appears easier the taking the whole bike back end apart or removing the rear wheel. Thanks to the previous posters for your comments and assistance

Jerry

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a new, in the box, Baker Compressor System for sale...$150.00 With free shipping in the US...

Didn’t work out?
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 06-19-2019 at 07:58 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I have a new, in the box, Baker Compressor System for sale...$150.00 With free shipping in the US...

Didn’t work out?
    . Will it work on a 15 RTL?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622