Spyder Garage

Unhappy Electrical problem

I have a 2011 RTS, with a 998 engine and 18K miles. Over a week ago I rode it to work and parked it. When I returned a day and a half later, the cluster did not power up when I turned on the key. The lights came on, but no cluster, so I could not start it. I got a ride home, and when I returned later in the day and tried the key nothing worked not even the lights. I have checked the fuses and relays, and replaced the battery. I took the battery ground wire loose, cleaned everything, and reattached it tightly, all to no avail. The only things that work are the hazard lights, brake lights, and horn. I don’t know what to try next or where to look or what to think. I love my Spyder but this is very frustrating, and I have a big ride coming up in May that I really want to make. I would very much appreciate help from anyone that is good at solving electrical/power problems because I’m at a dead end!

Spyder Garage

Default Tricky

Battery issues can be tricky. You are not getting full power to the system and the quick test would be to jump start it from a known good battery a car with the engine off. If it powers up and if it cranks then for sure your battery or connections are not working. New battery needs to be fully charged and these machines need a fully charged battery to operate. Try the jump and let us know.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you for your response. I tried jump starting that first day but apparently the cluster has to power up for the starter to be active so no go on that either. I have jumped it before when the battery went bad and it’s easy to do, but it can’t be done if the cluster isn’t powered up.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Let’s circle back to the fuses. They are historically hard to see if they’re blown by visual check only. If you didn’t, then remove them and check with a meter or continuity tester of your choice. Remember that there are fuses under the seat. At this time, I’m suspicious of fuse F1 in the front box. I’m sure this will get figured out by May.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead0897 View Post
    apparently the cluster has to power up for the starter to be active so no go on that either. I have jumped it before when the battery went bad and it’s easy to do, but it can’t be done if the cluster isn’t powered up.
    I don't think that is universally true.
    Your present situation sounds like a bad ignition switch or a connection to it.

Spyder Garage

How old is the battery in your 2011?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Brand new Yuasa bought to hopefully remedy this problem.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead0897 View Post
    Brand new Yuasa bought to hopefully remedy this problem.
    Did you fully charge it first?

Have you checked the fuses as suggested earlier?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Yes the battery was fully charged prior to installation and I have checked fuses. I’m thinking about checking the cluster next for a loose connection.

Spyder Garage

Traditionally the DESS module and ignition switch do not go bad on the 2011. However I just had to replace mine. Hopefully it's something else for you! I had the shop do it. 2011 RT manual.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited