Spyder Garage

Default New rider questions

So I have only had my 2018 F3 since Oct 18, and being on the east coast I've only been able to ride a few times. I have been seeing a lot of discussion about "belt stabilizers", is this something I need to add to my bike? Or is it something for down the line after a few thousand miles? My other big question is about comm devices. I noticed that SENA and CARDO seem to have the lions share of the market. I also know it is personal preference to which unit you purchase. Are they compatible? Can a SENA and a CARDO talk to one another in a group setting?

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hope you enjoy the forum. I'm sure some one here will have some good advice on the belt issue.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

and I throw another card on the pile for give it a thousand miles or so. Some machines need em, and some don't.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yup, you will want the belt stab. Get Lamonster's version with the good bearing. As for the comm device, I went with the Cardo version and like it a lot. They can communicate with the Sena, but only in the blue tooth mode.

Spyder Garage

There are at least 3 after market vibration dampers - all at different revision levels. I have the one made by BRP and am probably going to remove it - they aren't worth the hassle IMO it is another maintenance item I don't want to mess with. You can drive out of the vibration fairly easy - speed up or slow down cheap resolution.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Agreed on ride 1000 miles to decide. I bought my RTL with 15k and no dampener on it. It vibrates at about 73 mph but I just adjust speed. Even though I’ve only got 3k on the bike I probably won’t ad it, at least that’s what I’m thinking at the moment.

As far as Sena vs Cardo I can’t say but I did put up a review of my experience with the 30k in another thread. If you can’t find it let me know and I’ll see if I can’t locate it
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    Agreed on ride 1000 miles to decide. I bought my RTL with 15k and no dampener on it. It vibrates at about 73 mph but I just adjust speed. Even though I’ve only got 3k on the bike I probably won’t ad it, at least that’s what I’m thinking at the moment.

As far as Sena vs Cardo I can’t say but I did put up a review of my experience with the 30k in another thread. If you can’t find it let me know and I’ll see if I can’t locate it
    Quite a few folks here ( me included ) just re-deuced the belt tension a bit and …..Problem solved ….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tbachli View Post
    Yup, you will want the belt stab.
    Maybe but I think probably not.
    I bet the number of happy owners out there without one outnumber those who have one by about 100 to 1.
    IF.....you notice a "speed sensitive" vibration, then maybe you need one.....AFTER checking the belt tension.

Spyder Garage

I would ride and not try to find things to worry about. If it breaks, fix it. If it don't break, keep riding.

Spyder Garage

so I also have a 2018 F3. I got the belt belt tension a couple months after I got my F3. the reason is it takes all the vibration out of the spyder. If you ride one that has it and then ride one that does not you notice the difference. You expect some vibration because clearly your not in car. Their is more vibration at higher speeds. Its not that you cant deal with the vibration. but it surely is a better ride without it.

Also I have a sena 30K. Went with this because the rest of my friends have Sena. IT works well and has a ton of things it can do including voice control which is nice so I dont even have to take my hands off the handlebars.
    2018 F3 , Black on Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Forum!
    Try riding your Spyder next Spring for a couple of Months; before trying to decide on any Farkles...
    Some folks will tell you that the stabilizers are as valuable as Platinum; others will tell you that they're net necessary at all.
    The speeds at which you ride; will end up making the decision for you.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My wife and I have the Lexin B4FM. They have been great for us. they pair up with our Garmin. PLUS this is the kicker, they will last/stay charged for up to 10-plus hours. On long trips I don't have to recharge them. My wife will listen to her radio/music on a long 9 plus hour bike trip and it is still charged and working. SENA will not do that! I know because I have had both. IMO