Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Gotta love California....🏁🏁

The blog for my trade association, Automotive Service Councils of California has a thread going about loud vehicles. Somebody found the following on the AAA webpage and posted it:
    California Vehicle Code sections 27201 and 27202 established the following:

A noise limit of 92 decibels applies to any motorcycle manufactured before 1970. A noise limit of 88 decibels applies to motorcycles manufactured after 1969 and before 1973; 86 decibels applies to motorcycles manufactured after 1972 and before 1975; 83 decibels applies to motorcycles manufactured after 1974 and before 1986; 80 decibels applies to motorcycles manufactured after 1985.

Motorcycles registered in the state that are manufactured on or after 2013 or have an aftermarket exhaust system manufactured on or after 2013 must have the federal EPA noise emission label affixed to it in order to be operated, used, or parked in the state.

However, in order for us to enforce these regulations we are required to have a calibrated decibel meter! Psss..... we don't have calibrated decibel meters.

What we do have is section 27150 (a) which requires every motor vehicle to be equipped with "An adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise."

So what is excessive and unusual noise? If we can hear it from a distance of 50 feet, at freeway speeds, with our windows rolled up, and it is still uncomfortably loud, that is enough for us to stop that motorcycle for excessive exhaust noise.

After digesting this, does anybody agree that we should start a movement to get the dummos in Sacramento to fund calibrated decibel meters?
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post

After digesting this, does anybody agree that we should start a movement to get the dummos in Sacramento to fund calibrated decibel meters?
    First, the complete absence of a muffler should be good enough evidence that the rules are being violated.

Second, I believe it is the responsibility of the person or company that sells and installs after market parts to be sure they are legal.

Why should I pay for a meter when I have stock pipes ??

Spyder Garage

Hi Easy Rider,

Re: Why should I pay for a meter when I have stock pipes ??

I'm with you. Something about the old adage 'Be careful what you wish for.'

Back in the '70's I attended a few meetings when Oregon was bringing in emission testing. I was driving a 1965 Porsche and that car was never designed to have low emissions. The state employees at one meeting stated that any car could pass the standards that they were proposing. The local Porsche club set up a pre-legislation test & virtually none of us with the older cars could pass the proposed standards. After that, and with a good effort at lobbying, we got the standards relaxed for our older cars.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Another reason I don't go to California

Spyder Garage

After digesting that, I think those "dummos" should be voted out of office!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got no dog in a "Left Coast Fight": but
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAH5P5fSTas

Since I was 25 Ive had stock exhaust on everything - no need for noise, I like it quite.

Past 12 years I wear hearing protection at work so I'm very sensitive and enjoy normal exhaust.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

"in order for us to enforce these regulations we are required to have a calibrated decibel meter" - nothing you quoted says this is your problem. Unless you are the police, why would it be your problem to enforce the regulations? I agree with Easy Rider, it's the responsibility of the person that sells and installs aftermarket parts to be sure they comply. And nobody with a normal stock muffler has anything to worry about. Those who do have a problem know exactly who they are.

As for police enforcement, I used to be a municipal prosecutor in a small town and we had no difficulty enforcing a similar law about loud cars. In this case, the cops will probably warn first based on what they hear, then give a ticket, then if the recipient fixes the muffler they throw the ticket away, then if not they find somebody with a decibel meter. Don't tell me there are no decibel meters in the entire state of California. This gives the police something ironclad and unambiguous for the hardcore, obstinate violators. This isn't really that hard OR stupid.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Nothing unusual. I wonder, do newer bikes really display EPA noise stickers.....? I can't find one on my bike. I know California has different emission limits but didn't know about the noise limits. And......Seventeen Mile Drive bans ALL motorcycles regardless of noise level. Guess the good folks of Carmel don't want to have to deal with the likes of us bikers..... Here in Arid-Zone-A we have a little town of Cave Creek that has a lot of good biker bars and lunch destintions. But to get to Cave Creek you have to ride through the town of Carefree. I havn't been there for a long time so don't know current situation. But there was a time when Carefree posted "warning signs" for motorcycles right below the speed limit signs. The noise limit in town was 80db and the fine for exceeding that was $750.00...... .....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

California is not much fun.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Nothing unusual. I wonder, do newer bikes really display EPA noise stickers.....? I can't find one on my bike. I know California has different emission limits but didn't know about the noise limits. And......Seventeen Mile Drive bans ALL motorcycles regardless of noise level. Guess the good folks of Carmel don't want to have to deal with the likes of us bikers..... Here in Arid-Zone-A we have a little town of Cave Creek that has a lot of good biker bars and lunch destintions. But to get to Cave Creek you have to ride through the town of Carefree. I havn't been there for a long time so don't know current situation. But there was a time when Carefree posted "warning signs" for motorcycles right below the speed limit signs. The noise limit in town was 80db and the fine for exceeding that was $750.00...... .....
    Interesting thing is they do not smog bikes of any kind here nor do they check noise levels. Kinda "on the books" rules/laws. Now when they do there will be a mad scramble to find those cat units everyone trashed or left behind at the show...And they are not cheap nor is a stock muffler..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

Lol it’s not that bad most of the time. Police don’t enforce the 10 or so leaf blowers that come through the street every week that are obnoxiously loud and most police I know would really rather get involved with something other than a loud muffler.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Careful they might calibrate the radar guns while they are at it

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

That is one of the most annoying rules ever.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    The blog for my trade association, Automotive Service Councils of California has a thread going about loud vehicles. Somebody found the following on the AAA webpage and posted it:
    California Vehicle Code sections 27201 and 27202 established the following:

A noise limit of 92 decibels applies to any motorcycle manufactured before 1970. A noise limit of 88 decibels applies to motorcycles manufactured after 1969 and before 1973; 86 decibels applies to motorcycles manufactured after 1972 and before 1975; 83 decibels applies to motorcycles manufactured after 1974 and before 1986; 80 decibels applies to motorcycles manufactured after 1985.

Motorcycles registered in the state that are manufactured on or after 2013 or have an aftermarket exhaust system manufactured on or after 2013 must have the federal EPA noise emission label affixed to it in order to be operated, used, or parked in the state.

However, in order for us to enforce these regulations we are required to have a calibrated decibel meter! Psss..... we don't have calibrated decibel meters.

What we do have is section 27150 (a) which requires every motor vehicle to be equipped with "An adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise."

So what is excessive and unusual noise? If we can hear it from a distance of 50 feet, at freeway speeds, with our windows rolled up, and it is still uncomfortably loud, that is enough for us to stop that motorcycle for excessive exhaust noise.

Chupaca for the next Governor of the state of California!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrgrtt123 View Post
    That is one of the most annoying rules ever.
    Are you talking about noise rules ?
    If motorcycles don't have to follow the rules, why should any OTHER vehicle ??
    Think about a busy highway if ALL the vehicles had no mufflers.

For those of us that value our daytime naps and a good night's sleep......the rules are not annoying at all.
    What IS annoying is that they aren't better enforced.

For those people who are SICK and sleep is required, excessive noise could literally KILL them.

Spyder Garage

Default Whoa.....!!

Easy there folks this is for us who live here to duke out....as everything else it will get nowhere unless they can TAX it. Last smog test for the cars I had I was told that they no longer smog anything. They simply verify that the emissions lable attached to the car matches the equipment on the car...If your older vehicle does not pass you can show proof of attemps to repair and they will pass you anyway. I also think they no longer smog the poluters anymore anyway....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

The smog stations have been one of the biggest rip offs ever here, a lot of shady operators taking advantage of people, coupon battles with hidden fees etc. the sooner those guys go out of business the better imho.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think a good start to solve this and other problems that
    California has, would be to vote OUT all the good ole boys
    that make laws that are unneeded and unwanted by the
    citizens......
    Only my opinion, and yo know about opinions... everyone has one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This entire discussion is a moot point. LE in mexifornia whether state, county or city are all lacking the funds and manpower to address loud exhaust. Boom boxes and the loud thump thump irritating noises they produce are over ridden by the necessity to respond to crimes of a greater nature. Vehicle accidents, assaults, domestic violence, shootings and home invasions are constantly ongoing and require a higher degree of attention than an irritating noise ordnance. Wish it were not so, but that's the way it is.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    This entire discussion is a moot point. LE in mexifornia whether state, county or city are all lacking the funds and manpower to address loud exhaust. Boom boxes and the loud thump thump irritating noises they produce are over ridden by the necessity to respond to crimes of a greater nature. Vehicle accidents, assaults, domestic violence, shootings and home invasions are constantly ongoing and require a higher degree of attention than an irritating noise ordnance. Wish it were not so, but that's the way it is.
    I think the politicians are afraid to go after those that are at the root cause of many of those problems, ca. criminals vote

Spyder Garage

but California is broke and can't afford decibel meters????????
    BIG F

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluewoo View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAH5P5fSTas

Since I was 25 Ive had stock exhaust on everything - no need for noise, I like it quite.

Past 12 years I wear hearing protection at work so I'm very sensitive and enjoy normal exhaust.
    i agree and it seems to be a requirement if you own a Harley to make them stupidly loud I hate it it's not necessary
    2 happy happy spyders

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    i agree and it seems to be a requirement if you own a Harley to make them stupidly loud I hate it it's not necessary
    Anyone remember the south park episode with loud bikes & harley riders?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    Anyone remember the south park episode with loud bikes & harley riders?
    I saw that about a month ago. I was on the floor laughing at parts of it
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light