Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Thinking my post through a little more... my question really I guess is this: Are Spyders more prone to belt/sprocket damage than other belt driven cycles? Like I said, I've traveled my fair share of gravel through construction zones (miles) on Harleys and never had an issue. Is there something engineered differently with Spyders that makes this more of a hazard for them? If they are no more prone to damage that other belt driven bikes, then I guess not so big a concern to me to head out on any regular road. The one comment I read of damage from just heading down a graveled drive has me a bit concerned, though, as a newbie. Interested to hear your ideas. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

here is a link to the Dragon https://tailofthedragon.com/ open the dragon brochure to see a map of some great rides in the area. No need for gravel roads when there are so many paved roads just waiting for you and your Spyder ! here is the map link which is page 2 of brochure. Enjoy the area it is one of our favorites. https://tailofthedragon.cld.bz/Tail-...on-Brochure/2/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinDavid View Post
    Thinking my post through a little more... my question really I guess is this: Are Spyders more prone to belt/sprocket damage than other belt driven cycles? Like I said, I've traveled my fair share of gravel through construction zones (miles) on Harleys and never had an issue. Is there something engineered differently with Spyders that makes this more of a hazard for them? If they are no more prone to damage that other belt driven bikes, then I guess not so big a concern to me to head out on any regular road. The one comment I read of damage from just heading down a graveled drive has me a bit concerned, though, as a newbie. Interested to hear your ideas. Thanks.
    I would say no. Maybe Spyder Ann will give us some information. She has driven at least two high mileage spyders.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

We have HEAPS of unpaved roads around my neck of the woods, and we have almost as much black-top that's only chip-seal stuff instead of full on bitumen surfaces.... and I bought my Spyder to ryde wherever & whenever I could!! There are more than just a couple of Spyders here in Aus that rarely get to see bitumen or paved surfaces outside their driveways, and those don't seem to have major belt issues. While I don't spend THAT much time off the black-top, I'd guess that something like half of the miles my 2013 RT has up (about 60k) will have been on unpaved or chip seal surfaces. I don't have & never have had an add-on belt guard, and I don't tip toe thru the loose stuff either (a little drifting every now & then IS possible & IS a barrel of fun) and I've never had a belt issue, altho I do generally ride a little more sedately on the loose stuff. Still, this Spyder isn't my first belt driven bike, but it's a lot more fun than any of the others & it gets ridden that way. Sure, I might be a touch more careful & a little more restrained than I'd be on a Multi-Strada, but there's not really that much in it. I think many worry waaaay too much about belts vs chains vs shafts - it's a bike, ride it how you want & where you want & accept the wear & consequences.

Belts have been around for ages, they aren't really all that more susceptible to damage than anything else, altho they do probably have a slightly shorter life for a similar style chain driven bike ridden in the same places & in much the same manner. If you want to be sure to be sure, then fit the belt guard. And if you are really THAT WORRIED about ryding your Spyder on those sorts of roads, then either don't, or maybe get a different machine.... but honestly, IMHO most Spyders probably run more risk of belt damage from main highway road debris than they do from riding reasonably sedately on a good un-paved road.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!