Thread: Cat removal

Spyder Garage

Default Cat removal

Over the years I have heard about a catalytic converter removal. Some say its good adding several miles to the gallon and also additional horsepower. Others have said it doesn't do it. I live in a non inspection state so emmisions are not an issue. I interested in knowing what you all think about doing this. I have a 2016 RTS with over 29000 miles. It runs great but I am looking to get extra gas mileage and power out of the engine. For those who have done this, did it improve preformance? Was it worth the cost and effort to do this?

Thanks in advance.
    2016 RTS , GPS, entertainment cable. Outlets in trunk and trunk. White

Spyder Garage

We have the cat delete pipe and baffle on the 16 F3T and it does sound peppier..... I get the same gas mileage on my 15 RT that the wife gets on her 16 F3T as we ride together a lot.

The cat delete makes her bike sound louder, but the only thing that makes hers faster is the 10 % lower gearing due to the larger rear sprocket. Your call. You should be getting close to 37-40 MPGs which is great in my book. 46 K on the RT and 40K on the F3T so they're both broke in...
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Here is some interesting info from Shawn Smoak, who has numerous videos on the spyder, as well as he is a top technician.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqYs2Joamqo&t=851s At about 8:24 He talks about Cat. If you have a problem finding the video, here is the name on it.
    Spyder RT will Make the Trip!! • Repaired & Ready!! | TheSmoaks Vlog_941
    2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I removed the Cat and wrapped the baffle with ceramic cloth. Sounds very close to stock. No fuel MPG improvements does give it a bit more pickup when getting on the throttle a bit.

I would leave your alone unless you want a bit less heat and restriction.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Calimbo, you'd be smiles and miles ahead if you went with a remap of your ECM, not to mention $$ ahead over time. Much more power and better MPG. Besides, the remap and the cat delete pipe are not that far apart in price. The cat delete (with the baffle) will give you a little more sound and no one truly knows if you'll gain any appreciable horse power if any at all. In all of my searching I've not run across any sound/reliable documentation regarding dyno test on stock vs cat delete. Do a search here on the ECM remap (upgrade) and read all you can about it, I think you'll be convinced. After all, screwing with those darn springs on the cat and exhaust pipe is enough to convince anybody to go with the remap. 3 springs vs 3 screws? LOL You don't live that far away from where they do the remapping. Should be just a 5 day turnaround. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Calimbo, you'd be smiles and miles ahead if you went with a remap of your ECM, not to mention $$ ahead over time. Much more power and better MPG. Besides, the remap and the cat delete pipe are not that far apart in price. The cat delete (with the baffle) will give you a little more sound and no one truly knows if you'll gain any appreciable horse power if any at all. In all of my searching I've not run across any sound/reliable documentation regarding dyno test on stock vs cat delete. Do a search here on the ECM remap (upgrade) and read all you can about it, I think you'll be convinced. After all, screwing with those darn springs on the cat and exhaust pipe is enough to convince anybody to go with the remap. 3 springs vs 3 screws? LOL You don't live that far away from where they do the remapping. Should be just a 5 day turnaround. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
    I agree with you...I upgraded my ECU ...stage II yesterday...worth every cent...and im running a RLS dual baffle cat bypass.

Spyder Garage

youre way better off doing a remap of the ECU....your spyder will come alive...advice: do a stage II map @ 8600 RPM.

Spyder Garage

Not worried about performance, The RTL runs well stock for our use. The mileage is good, though at some prices I wish it could run on regular pump gas.
    Reports are that after the cat delete there is less heat on the riders, and the hot smell some (us included) have noticed goes away. As we got the RTL in November I can't speak to the heat, but living in the Ozarks that will be tested soon enough. For the price of a delete pipe I can purchase a lot of gas and live with the odor, though I'm not sure the backseater will agree - she mentions the smell every time we pull into the garage.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkryder View Post
    Not worried about performance, The RTL runs well stock for our use. The mileage is good, though at some prices I wish it could run on regular pump gas.
    Reports are that after the cat delete there is less heat on the riders, and the hot smell some (us included) have noticed goes away. As we got the RTL in November I can't speak to the heat, but living in the Ozarks that will be tested soon enough. For the price of a delete pipe I can purchase a lot of gas and live with the odor, though I'm not sure the backseater will agree - she mentions the smell every time we pull into the garage.
    My expereance with the cat delete was no noticable reduction in heat felt, no noticable increase in fuel savings, no noticable increase in power, but a noticable increase in sound.
    It is lighter, but could not tell the difference on the RT.
    Ran one for three years, and then removed it and put the cat back on and sold the delete pipe.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    My expereance with the cat delete was no noticable reduction in heat felt, no noticable increase in fuel savings, no noticable increase in power, but a noticable increase in sound.
    It is lighter, but could not tell the difference on the RT.
    Ran one for three years, and then removed it and put the cat back on and sold the delete pipe.
    Ditto...we have a 2016 RT as well, and we tried Lamont's cat delete. No noticeable improvement in any sense, other than more noise. I DID however notice more exhaust fumes, which made me decide to go back with the stock exhaust. I then replaced the muffler with one from RLS exhaust. I really like the sound it puts out now, and everything else is just like it was when it was all stock. There seems to be a bit more throttle response, but nothing major IMO. I've never tried a remap....maybe this summer...
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Remove the Cat?!?

Grumpy-cat.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Where did you do the re-map.....I know for other bikes I had they sold units to plug in and use your lap top,
    Is this something the dealer will/can do?