Spyder Garage

Default want info on 2008 spyders

Just a question about the older 2008 can am spyders, My daughter is wanting to buy an older spyder / because the cost of a new one. Is there any information that I need to know before getting one ?? are they good spyders or are they issues ??

Please let me know
    Thanks
    Rog1541

Spyder Garage

I have a 2009 and have had no issues with it. I have had it for 2 years. I am very diligent about maintaining it.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

I have a 2008 with 25,000 miles. It is the SM5 or manual gearchange model. Mechanically it has been very reliable. I do all the servicing myself.
    I did not find the original riding position comfortable so have spent quite a bit of time and money to get it to my liking.
    When I picked it up from the dealer in 2012 with only 100 miles on the clock he said it was the most reliable of Spyder models as of 2012 as it was the simplest.
    Have been happy with my purchase
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

My 2008 is a good one but, with all machines, there are a few not so good ones. Unless you're relying solely on a bike mechanic these "things" require, at minimum, intermediate skills. Although I've gone the limit with counter measures, due to design, it's the HEAT. Irregardless of what anyone else tells you, the hot factor on the older ones is like a rolling pizza oven (primarily lower right leg)... unless cruising.
    Fog lights
    Tour wind screen & deflectors
    Auxiliary power
    KewlMetal - radiator web
    SpyderPops - Air Dam, Heat Shield & Air Management
    Rivco - floorboards
    Easy Risers
    ISCI - passenger armrests
    Canisterectomy Stant 10819 gas cap
    DYI rear splash guards
    Frunk light
    Handlebar foam grips,cup holder & mirrors
    Wool seat cover
    Rear rack bag
    Car tires Solar 175/65r14 - 215/60r15
    MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wires (DIY)
    LED strips brake/running
    2008 GS , MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wires (DIY) - Autolite Iridium Extreme Sport Spark Plugs #XS4162 Stock BLACK/SILVER

Spyder Garage

Hello, I have an '08 with around 95000, miles. There were several issues with the early models and most were addressed with updates and warranty replacements of the DSS unit and the gas cap. The heat issue on the right side because that is where the radiator and cooling fan are located can be alleviated somewhat with some aftermarket products from Spyderpops, one of our vendors or by removing the two bottom access panels under the Spyder. There are some good Spyder deals to be had so look around and make sure to have a dealer hook it up to Buds and make sure all updates are current. Don't limit yourself to the '08 machines, go for the most value and best machine you can afford. Welcome to Spyderlovers.

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

My first SPYDER was a 2008 GS SE 5 used with 22000 miles on it, tires were worn as were the brake pads so I replaced them. Rode it another 10000 miles with no problems. But I could not get comfortable with the riding position as it put too much pressure on my hands. So I traded up for a 2015 ST SE5 due to a more comfortable riding position. I know of several 2008s and they are solid machines. However, I would suggest looking seriously at the RYKER as the pricing and available financing plus warranty might be a better choice for a new rider.

Spyder Garage

Default There you have it....

Although mine is a 2012 RS Sm5 with 43,000 miles they are reliable and she should just check that the updates have been done with the vin# at a dealer. Hope she find the one to her liking and gets out there and enjoys the road....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

They are mostly good machines. If maintenance is kept up you should be good to go. I have seen them as low as $5,000 on here for sale.

I had an 08 and had no problems with it the two years I owned it. You can get a service record by having the dealer run the vin #.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As with any 11 year old machine: there will be issues...
    But the basic architecture is good. You just have to find the right one!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for the information you have given me !!!

Ride safe !!!!!!!!!!!!

Rog1541

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Happy shopping!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Similar to other vehicles, depends on the owners.

We had a Premier Edition 08 GS for 10 years. Always started. Even original battery (!!). Was a very fun ryde. Sold because W could no longer operate the clutch - too stiff - and I already had my 15 RT.

The 08s had a couple recalls (done well by dealer). Basically, check them out, especially with BUDS to be sure all maintenance has been (properly) done.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No complaints with ours. We had the DSS recall, the gas cap recall done. Spyderpops heat management and belt guard kits installed. The early GS/RS's are simple and reliable. Ours has never had to be laser aligned or suffered any limp home issues. While they lack the bells and whistles of the later models, they are also less complicated with fewer potential points of failure.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I still have my '09. The main problem I found was the original "y" gaskets burned up before 20k and gave you a very hot right leg.

It's an easy fix. Replace both right and left gaskets with Honda PN 18392-MAM-000.

I replaced mine at 18k and haven't had a heat problem with over 50k now.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Did the exhaust change from '08? When I put on my HMF muffler I saw no "Y" gaskets. Unless I'm blind . I get occasional P0170 codes that are nebulous - check exhaust, intake throttle body, so I was looking.

Spyder Garage

Did you actually remove the Y pipe to check when you replaced the muffler?
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I also have one...

I have over 25 K on mine I got it in 2010 with 6oo miles on it and up till last year never had any trouble
    with it, last year the DPS went out (DPS) is the power steering unit, that was a shocker it went out at 19K
    and cost $1300 to have replaced, however it was worth having it done the trike runs and rides great and like
    others I made a bunch of changes to it to get a comfortable riding position. I have replaced tires once all 3
    with Michelin car tires.. I have no reason to get rid of it, if I get a new one I will give this one to one of my
    grandkids...

IMG_0987.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    I have a 2008 with 25,000 miles. It is the SM5 or manual gearchange model. Mechanically it has been very reliable. I do all the servicing myself.
    I did not find the original riding position comfortable so have spent quite a bit of time and money to get it to my liking.
    When I picked it up from the dealer in 2012 with only 100 miles on the clock he said it was the most reliable of Spyder models as of 2012 as it was the simplest.
    Have been happy with my purchase
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 01-21-2019 at 01:59 PM.