Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Does Anyone "Snowbird" with their Spyder?

As I get older, I find that I can tolerate the cold winters in upstate NY less and less. For many years, I kept busy in winter by skiing, which I've genuinely enjoyed - but I think I may be at the point where I'm losing my motivation for even that due to the cold weather and my aging joints. ....and, most importantly, I'd much rather be ryding my Spyder somewhere.

I recently moved to a townhouse/condo community where I don't have to lift a finger to manage the snow anymore. (The HOA takes care of it for me.) So, it's dawned on me that I'm suddenly free to spend winters wherever I want. So....I'm asking whether anyone here moves south with their Spyder to get thru the winter. If so, where do you go?

Ideally, I'd like somewhere on the East Coast with temps usually in the mid 50's (F) or above in January thru March, and interesting roads (with relatively little traffic) to explore. I'd want to rent a small, one bedroom, furnished place (with a garage for the Spyder) for probably a 3-month period (January thru March) -- all at a reasonable price, of course. --- That's not asking for too much is it?

So, would anyone have any suggestions for me? And tips on things to consider in deciding where to go and preparing to make the trip?

BTW -- To be clear, I'm talking about perhaps doing this next year - not right away.

Thanks!
    Bert

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's a bunch in the Southwest, particularly Arizona.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    There's a bunch in the Southwest, particularly Arizona.
    I love the Southwest. But it's quite a bit too long of a trip from here, unfortunately.
    Bert

Spyder Garage

I don't snowbird (yet), but based on your criteria, you'd probably need to go as far south as Georgia/South Carolina to get average temps in the mid-50s for January through March.

If you were willing to go west as far as Arkansas, you'd have a *ton* of great roads to explore, but you'd be looking at average temps right at 50 until Feb.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    I love the Southwest. But it's quite a bit too long of a trip from here, unfortunately.
    Shouldn't be a problem, should it? Didn't you just imply you have all kinds of time on your hands?????

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Shouldn't be a problem, should it? Didn't you just imply you have all kinds of time on your hands?????
    Yeah, I've got time but driving to the Southwest is a L-O-N-G trip!
    Bert

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, I've got time but driving to the Southwest is a L-O-N-G trip!
    Just look on it as a series of short trips of 300 miles each!!!!! It's less than 2500 miles from Glens Falls to Phoenix!!!

Actually, I understand. Just gotta give you hard time!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We snowbirded one winter with the bikes in the back of our toy hauler.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

As I get older, I find that I can tolerate the cold winters in upstate NY less and less. For many years, I kept busy in winter by skiing, which I've genuinely enjoyed - but I think I may be at the point where I'm losing my motivation for even that due to the cold weather and my aging joints. ....and, most importantly, I'd much rather be ryding my Spyder somewhere.

Thanks!
    I am starting to think like you about getting away from winter at least Jan - Feb and possibly even March. I retire in the summer of 2021 so I am trying to come up with my plan for the first of many winters. Right now Arizona weather sounds awfully good to me and I have never spent very much time in that part of the country. I don't think the Southeast would be warm enough (I may be wrong) other than Florida and it is my least favorite state ever.

I am going to keep an eye on this thread because it seems like you posted it for you and I
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Snowbirds, so nice when Easter arrives and they all migrate North.

Here in SoFlo, there is serious competition as to the worst drivers, those from up North, aka Snowbirds, or those from South America. Defensive driving is a way of life.

And drivers that are quick on their horn, boy do they get real upset when I pull away very, very slow after they have hit their horn.

Crazy time of year around here right now.

As for traveling and Spydering if you head this way, Florida,north of Orlando has some cool riding and quite a few Spyders. Have fun.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was answering the question you posed in the name you gave the thread. The answer is YES, lots of SpyderLovers snowbird in winter.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Fort Myers FL.

Spyder Garage

Been hauling the 2012 RT down to AZ with us for quite a few years now. Love it.
    Bob S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have given thought to spending after Thanksgiving, leaving when weather is still decent, and coming back in March when weather permits. My big three main possibilities are Arizona,NM, and Florida. cueman

Spyder Garage

North East Florida - cant beat it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    I have given thought to spending after Thanksgiving, leaving when weather is still decent, and coming back in March when weather permits. My big three main possibilities are Arizona,NM, and Florida. cueman
    It's nice to have choices. Are you looking for recommendations?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

This is our first year snowbirding. We checked out Florada last February, but I did not find anywhere that I would care to ride the Spyder. This winter we are in Apache Junction, AZ and love it. Lots of great roads to ride. We even road over and around San Diego, CA for a week.
    We only trailered one F3 down. Left the day after Thanksgiving (between snow stroms) and will head back to Minnesota at the end of March.
    Thinking of comming down at the end of October this next winter so I can ride one down and tow the other.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    It's nice to have choices. Are you looking for recommendations?
    Yes I am, I’m all ears! cueman

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You have options every year you can rent in a different place if you don't like the last place. That will be the key I think finding a place to rent that fits what you want and willing to pay. As far as area I like Florida (North Central) 1 hour or so to Jax, St Augustine, Daytona, Orlando. All kinds of things to see if you want but if you like quiet get a way from the coast and lots of quiet country roads out around the lakes no traffic. Best of both worlds. Got Bike week in Mid March and there are other small bike events through the area if you like them. Then next year you can try Yuma AZ. if you find Florida boring. So you should be looking for what it will cost you to rent a living space, feel that out a little. Good luck with your planning.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

South Georgia, 78 degrees today. Rode down from MICHIGAN in October, stored Blaze in Georgia, came back last week until mid March. Several multiday trips planned, north GA, NC, SC, AL. Less money, fewer people, better rides than FL.
    2021 RTL SE6 - Marsala Red Blackout

BajaRon Nosway Bar
    Front CentraMatic Balancers
    Value Accessories HandleBar Riser
    Brake LED Flasher
    Customized SmoothSpyder Tensioner
    Phone Phang
    Smart Mount Backrest
    LaMonster Mirror Locks
    Hopnel Frunk Bag
    Ultraguard Cover

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes I am, I’m all ears! cueman
    Would you be RV'ing or what?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Folks, I guess I should have told you that I have an RV and pull a Triton trailer for my toys, so I’ll be staying in the RV sites. My wife and I like to dine out a lot and like site seeing on secondary roads. Like to be in a semi quiet area in riding distance to new things to see and do, and still ride back to RV and relax towards evening. cueman

Spyder Garage

If you ever come out to Arizona for winter riding you will NEVER go back to Florida. BTDT. Very much worth the extra day or two of travel time..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Savanna GA. area would certainly fit your bill. I plan on retiring in that area in a couple years...….

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Folks, I guess I should have told you that I have an RV and pull a Triton trailer for my toys, so I’ll be staying in the RV sites. My wife and I like to dine out a lot and like site seeing on secondary roads. Like to be in a semi quiet area in riding distance to new things to see and do, and still ride back to RV and relax towards evening. cueman
    It sounds like you can go pretty much wherever you want and even move from spot to spot during the winter. If so, you should include the Southwest on your itinerary. Having said that, it's a pretty big area with a lot of choices. If money is an issue, you can't go wrong with the area around Yuma or Quartzite AZ which caters specifically to snowbirds. If you want to go more upscale and can afford it, look in Palm Desert, CA. The area around Globe, AZ and Tucson, AZ is fantastic for riding, although the weather can be a little dicey because of the elevation.
    2014 RTL Platinum