Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Ok - mine was changing the rear tire on my 2015 F3s. I was lowering the Spyder onto the rear wheel with my ATV jack when I released to quickly and the Spyder bounced off the jack causing the rear brake mounting plate to hit the speed sensor damaging it. (I did not know it at the time). Put everything back on and went for a ride - or tried to. Spyder would not shift and got limp home mode. Had it towed to my dealer to get it fixed. Cost over $270.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Was trying a demo last year for the first time on a 2017 RT-L, was trying to see if it fits in my toy hauler and couldn't remember how to get it into reverse!
    Thanks goodness for Google.

The wife was laughing at me as I was getting frustrated and swearing......
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Seems I pulled the very same stunt once.......scared the crap outta me.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    I Used a floor jack on the 2011 RT to raise it up. The metal cup slid off the main frame box tube and ended up breaking a plastic panel. I have used the floor jack many times since on the RTs or F3T, but ALWAYS with a rubber tire tread strip to cushion and grip the main frame rail.

Never had a problem since. Live and learn I guess.
    Seems I pulled the very same stunt once.......scared the crap outta me.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Our first RT had foot pegs and after years of riding with foot pegs, two wheel and Spyder, I didn't want floorboards. Our newest RT came with floorboards so I talked the dealer into giving me a set of footpegs. Before I could get the footpegs on we went to a rally. On the last ryde of the rally as we started my GPS fell off and landed on the floorboards and stayed there till I retrieve it. I believed it was a sign and have had the floorboards on ever since.
    2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    2017 Honda Pilot
    2018 Maverick Trail 1000 DPS
    2015 RTS SE6 Intense Red Pearl
    2014 35' Keystone Fuzion Impact Toyhauler
    Ultimate Seats passenger backrest, Adjustable wind deflectors, Minitrailer USA trailer, Can Am driver backrest, Corbin passenger armrests, after market hitch, DIY bump skid, LED turn indicaters, cup holders, frunk decal stripes, DIY GPS mount, DIY Gopro dash mount, aux 12v & USB outlets, DIY belt rock shield, BajaRon swaybar, frunk 12v outlet

Spyder Garage

Done that.. more than once...
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chefex View Post
    Ok, try to top this one. Bought a brand new 2016 RT-S, got it home, and ordered some kuryakin hand grips to put on it. Didn't realize that I bought the wrong grips and just followed the instructions. Told me to cut the old grips off and just slide the new grips on. 1. did the left side first and forgot that I had heated grips so ruined that feature. Figured well I did it now so might as well do the other side also. 2. Was already angry so just went ahead and did the other side. Ended up cutting my throttle off. You probably heard the screaming and cussing. $1500 later had the bike back to the original stock. needless to say, I didn't get any new grips. LOL
    I remember that that thread, Chefex. As soon as you said you cut the grip, I thought “oh, no, you poor bugger.....that’ll be expensive”
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I bought one of Lamont’s IPS key covers. Took the F3 out for a ride, needed to do a u-turn to head back home, half way around the F3 just stopped and was beeping at me. Quite frightening when there’s a B-Double heading down the road toward you. It appears that when I rotated the handlebars up (removing the limiting nub), it also tightened my GPS cable. On full lock, the GPS cable then snagged one of the fins on the IPS and rotated it, turning the F3 off. The beeping was the handbrake kindly reminding me that I hadn’t set it before turning the motor off. By sheer luck I found the problem quickly, turned the IPS on and rolled off the road. THIS IS NOT A FAILING OF THE IPS. It was caused inadvertently by me removing the handlebar rotation limiting nub. D’oh
    Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I was backing my 2013 RT one time, running the front tires up onto car ramps. I don't remember exactly but I think the ramp on the right side started sliding on the floor. Of course I didn't want the left wheel to come back so far it would drop off the back end of the ramp so I hit the brakes, hard. It was enough to cause the front of the RT to dip with the end of the right mud flap contacting the apex of the ramp. The end of the fender where the mud flap was attached snapped almost completely off instantly! Plastic repair cement held it all together after that. By that time it was a reasonably well used Spyder so I decided that's the breaks and eventually sold it with an injured right front fender!

Blue Nid fender break.jpg

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chefex View Post
    Ok, try to top this one. Bought a brand new 2016 RT-S, got it home, and ordered some kuryakin hand grips to put on it. Didn't realize that I bought the wrong grips and just followed the instructions. Told me to cut the old grips off and just slide the new grips on. 1. did the left side first and forgot that I had heated grips so ruined that feature. Figured well I did it now so might as well do the other side also. 2. Was already angry so just went ahead and did the other side. Ended up cutting my throttle off. You probably heard the screaming and cussing. $1500 later had the bike back to the original stock. needless to say, I didn't get any new grips. LOL
    Okay, I can top it. Took my 2010 RS into the dealer for a service, and took home a 2012 RT. Wait a second, that is not a bad blooper. You win
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Have had to replace a couple gas caps here too, either a distraction from reseating trip meters(dash & gps)+ inputting data to my fully app, then there is usually someone interested in the bike asking questions. & that IF the pump actually printed the receipt. {yes it's a bit much, but does what I want}
    Oh ya & tighten the back rest correctly in place making sure the flag is not gonna fly off.
    I always put the gas cap on my seat, that way I can't forget to reinstall.
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davehirst View Post
    I always put the gas cap on my seat, that way I can't forget to reinstall.
    Be sure to always put it on the driver seat! Put it on the passenger seat like I did my Spot tracker and you may never see it again!!!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Had only had my RTL for a short time after not having ridden at all for 3 years and went on my first little ride with a friend on a Harley. I was in front and we got to a road repair bridge that was one lane. Crossing the bridge, which was next to a ditch, was controlled by an automated stop light so only one side could go at a time but there was no mention of how often the light changed. Well my friend and I sat there for a good 45 seconds with no change of signal and no cars on the other side of the bridge. So being the resourceful chap that I am I notice there is a push button on the signal light pole just like the one you’d see at a crosswalk. So in my incredible wisdom I decide I’m gonna go push that thing and get us on our way. Not wanting to look like the beginner I am I hop off the right side of the bike, with vigor mind you, without having set the parking brake. Naturally the bike begins to roll. Seeing this I immediately grab what is commonly known as “the throttle” to stop the bike from rolling. For some reason throttle and acceleration made no connection in my mind at all nor did the fact that grabbing that bit of motorcycle would also result in something known as “acceleration of the human idiot ”, which it did jerking me forward With ferocity while now becoming very aware of the nearby ditch. This bit of excitement was immediately followed by what I assume was the nanny deciding that acceleration at an alarming rate should not happen with no rider on board. So nanny did what nanny does and immediately slammed on the brakes (at least that’s what I think happened). Unfortunately my forward acceleration had no brakes as I was pretty much airborne and I slammed hard into the windscreen putting some nice bruising on the old rib cage. My friend on the Harley almost laid his bike down he was laughing so hard. To complete the embarrassment the light had turned green just after I got off the bike.

I will never forget the 10 or so lessons I learned in about 5 seconds.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I installed Lamont's foot pegs in 2015. This summer I had SpyderPops put in a new horn at the Deadwood 3 Wheel event. They laughed because a closed end wrench was STILL on a nut just inside. It was all rusted. It had been there for nearly two years and probably 20K miles.

I keep it with my Spyder as my "Guardian Bell."
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    I installed Lamont's foot pegs in 2015. This summer I had SpyderPops put in a new horn at the Deadwood 3 Wheel event. They laughed because a closed end wrench was STILL on a nut just inside. It was all rusted. It had been there for nearly two years and probably 20K miles.

I keep it with my Spyder as my "Guardian Bell."
    Hahaha.......you aren’t a surgeon are you, Todd ?
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

When I put the gel pad that I got from Dave in my seat as I removed one of the bolts from the seat to take it off I dropped it and sure enough it went down the black hole. I managed to not have the fumbles on the other and removed it successfully. When I went to reinstall the seat, yup the fumbles came back and away the remaining bolt went. No I didn't learn anything about black holes the first time. I rode the Spyder for a couple of months with only the latch peg holding the seat on.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have to take my glasses off to remove or put on my helmet. I used to put them on the back seat of my RTS. A few years ago when we rode to Alaska, we had either just had lunch or refueled. We were finally riding on some decent pavement at a good speed when I realized I didn't have my glasses on. I pulled over and, sure enough, no glasses to be found. I backtracked and found them in the middle of the road, all bent up. I did the rest of the trip without corrective lenses. Maybe I'll go back to Alaska someday and see what I missed!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Two bloopers involving similar circumstances. I was leading a group of 20 or so SPYDERS on ryde up Ebbetts Pass at the Nor-Cal Spyder rally. We got to the top at 8500 feet or so and stopped for a photo op. Took out my new iPhone and took some pictures. Got ready to head back down and got all geared up to head back to the resort. Normally when I am ryding I would listen to music streamed from my phone. Not this time I was leading. A group and neede to communicate with my sweep. Well you can only imagine how easy it is to forget a black phone on a black phone. That phone is spending its third winter in the Sierras somewhere under 10 feet of snow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Blooper #2

Well this is BLOOPER #2 out of 5 that I will write about. I hope that there will not be any more in the future. This is a variation of a BUTT dial on a phone. In case you do not know what a BUTT dial is ask your kids.

I was touring the UP of Michigan (was raining quite a bit so decided to head to lower Michigan to visit my nephew and dry out). After I crossed the Mackinaw Bridge the weather broke so decided to travel the Tunnel of Trees in the north west part of Michigan. That road is very scenic but after about 12 miles of the 22 mile road I decided get off that road. Way to narrow and to many bicycles!

Using Google maps I set the designation on my phone for North Branch, Michigan. After a while it started raining again so I took the phone off the X ram mount and put it in my caring case secured to my belt. I was using bluetooth from the phone to my speakers so all was good. NOT!! Some how I did a BUTT change of designation on Google maps. Way down the road I heard Google maps say "your designation is on the right". Hmm, I am looking a a large building not a house. Took the phone out of the case and checked it. Well I was about 80 miles off course.

What did I learn for this? Well I will always carry a zip lock bag to protect the phone on the ram mount so that I do not have to put the phone in my carrying case. Also I will periodically check that I am on the correct route and designation has not changed.

I try to live and learn and to enjoy life along the way.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Second one!

Ok Iron butt time! This is after loosing the cell phone. 650 miles into a 1000 mile, 19.25 hour ryde, we stop to get gas. Feeling pretty good, but the stop was much needed. Gassed up, pulled to the side for a 1/2 sandwich and water (5 hour energy) and off we go! 150 miles later we are at the next gas stop. Get to the pump, and no wallet! You guessed it Black Wallet on a black seat. Kicked it off as I got on, left it at the gas station. Well it’s an Iron Butt, can’t go backwards so used my wife’s credit card the rest of the way! Good news after getting home after midnight, I called the gas station the next day, and they had they had the wallet! Mailed it back to me, and I sent the young man a $100.00 reward!F0A4C8DD-3500-40EE-97A6-7B7A667058E4.jpg29406D77-55C8-4D8F-B848-6435CCE9E322.jpg
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Ok Iron butt time! This is after loosing the cell phone. 650 miles into a 1000 mile, 19.25 hour ryde, we stop to get gas. Feeling pretty good, but the stop was much needed. Gassed up, pulled to the side for a 1/2 sandwich and water (5 hour energy) and off we go! 150 miles later we are at the next gas stop. Get to the pump, and no wallet! You guessed it Black Wallet on a black seat. Kicked it off as I got on, left it at the gas station. Well it’s an Iron Butt, can’t go backwards so used my wife’s credit card the rest of the way! Good news after getting home after midnight, I called the gas station the next day, and they had they had the wallet! Mailed it back to me, and I sent the young man a $100.00 reward!F0A4C8DD-3500-40EE-97A6-7B7A667058E4.jpg29406D77-55C8-4D8F-B848-6435CCE9E322.jpg
    Ha! Thanks for sharing these pirate. I try to put my stuff in the same pockets all the time but have left the garage on multiple occasions with the wallet sitting right next to where I put my boots on.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Spyder601: I had a similar issue so I glued the rubber pieces on the X-grip.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Hahaha.......you aren’t a surgeon are you, Todd ?
    Well, I'm sort of a doctor. Just a dentist smart enough not to go to medical school.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Default Blooper #3

Well Blooper 3, 4 and 5 occurred on a trip to southern Arizona to visit some great Spyder friends and my 2 brothers.

I admit, I ran out of gas. I was heading south on I25 enjoying the sights and not paying attention to the gas gauge when the low gas light came on. Not many exits and gas stations in that area. I decreased my speed hoping to make it to the nearest gas station. I was about 6 miles north of Trinidad when the Spyder ran out of gas. Dang! Took my helmet off and put on my Air Force cap and stuck my thumb out. The 3rd vehicle stopped. The driver said that he noticed that I was on a motorcycle then saw my Air Force cap, and hit the brakes. He took me into town to get a gas can, then to a gas station, and back to my Spyder. He stayed there until I had put the gas in and had started it up. There are good people in this world, and he was one.

I rode in to Trinidad, put gas in the Spyder, refilled the 1 gal gas jug and put in in the storage box on my Leesure Lite trailer.

What did I learn from this? Keep an eye on the gas gauge, refill at 1/4 full or sooner. Carry extra gas when I can (perhaps I will be able to help someone else on the road). There are good folks in this world.

I try to live and learn and to enjoy life along the way.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've never run out of gas completely, but I've cut it really close. With all the stories of how difficult it is to find fuel on the AlCan, I carried a gallon of gas all the way to Alaska and back and never needed it. But, kind of like guns, it's better to have it and not need it.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)