Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Instrument cluster changed - is it now illegal?

last year my cluster had to be replaced and when they replaced it I lost all my mileage and they said they couldn't restore it.Anyone had this happen or know how to restore it?
    Thanks
    Geo
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-28-2019 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Merged thread titles

Spyder Garage

It is my understanding that the original mileage cannot be restored. Keep a copy of the dealer work order where they listed your last mileage before the replacement. If you sell your Spyder or trade in the future, you will need that info.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I have a copy and the dealer has it on file,but it will still make it harder to sell or trade in.

Spyder Garage

Default Sadly....

They do not restore the mileage when you replace the instrument cluster but for some reason they can restore the egine hours of use. Go figure... Do wonder as it must be a buds thing.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Yes I had mine replaced I wrote down the hours before I bought it in to get replaced, well if you had it in shop lately you could get mileage off of that service record ..

Spyder Garage

I had cluster replaced. Miles to zero. Never left the shop, so I know my exact miles. But, in most states, Florida included, the odometer does not accurately show the total miles and is therefore "True Miles Unknown, Warning Odometer Discrepancy". Sounds like a shot to the jewels when it comes to a sale.
    2020 RTL Chrome Marsala Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

By law, the dealer MUST set the mileage to zero if any work on the odometer necessitates changing the mileage on the odometer. It is a felony to muck with odo readings.

49 U.S.C.
    United States Code, 2017 Edition
    Title 49 - TRANSPORTATION
    SUBTITLE VI - MOTOR VEHICLE AND DRIVER PROGRAMS
    PART C - INFORMATION, STANDARDS, AND REQUIREMENTS
    CHAPTER 327 - ODOMETERS
    Sec. 32704 - Service, repair, and replacement
    From the U.S. Government Publishing Office, www.gpo.gov

§32704. Service, repair, and replacement

(a) Adjusting Mileage.—A person may service, repair, or replace an odometer of a motor vehicle if the mileage registered by the odometer remains the same as before the service, repair, or replacement. If the mileage cannot remain the same—

(1) the person shall adjust the odometer to read zero; and

(2) the owner of the vehicle or agent of the owner shall attach a written notice to the left door frame of the vehicle specifying the mileage before the service, repair, or replacement and the date of the service, repair, or replacement.

(b) Removing or Altering Notice.—A person may not, with intent to defraud, remove or alter a notice attached to a motor vehicle as required by this section.

(Pub. L. 103–272, §1(e), July 5, 1994, 108 Stat. 1049.)

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    By law, the dealer MUST set the mileage to zero if any work on the odometer necessitates changing the mileage on the odometer. It is a felony to muck with odo readings.
    Not to nitpick, but the law you quoted seems to read in paragraph a, the logged mileage may be restored to the true mileage when repairs are a complished. Not seeing where it is mandatory to reset to zero.

Regarding the Spyder, it seems to be a serious oversight that BUDS lacks the capability to properly reset the odometer as it was previously. Certainly is one method to prevent odometer tampering.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They made it tough to crack the odometer settings for a very good reason: There are too many folks out there, who would "tinker" with the mileage in an attempt to make a vehicle easier to sell...
    There's nothing wrong with your bike: just with the mindset of some people!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    They do not restore the mileage when you replace the instrument cluster but for some reason they can restore the egine hours of use. Go figure... Do wonder as it must be a buds thing.
    They do no restore the engine hours. Because it was never lost when replacing the instrument cluster. Engine hours are stored in the ECU.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I had something starting the "glass" and went to dealer. They instructed me how to remove and clean. It the cluster was replaced my mileage would be lost and I would have to apply for a new title that reflects the mileage at replacement.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

They are also not reset when the engine is replaced.....

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Not to nitpick, but the law you quoted seems to read in paragraph a, the logged mileage may be restored to the true mileage when repairs are a complished. Not seeing where it is mandatory to reset to zero.

Regarding the Spyder, it seems to be a serious oversight that BUDS lacks the capability to properly reset the odometer as it was previously. Certainly is one method to prevent odometer tampering.
    Yeah, I had to think about the wording too as it does seem to be contradictory. But I think the out given in (a) for replacement means if the odometer comes from the supplier or manufacturer or a professional speedometer shop with the mileage already set, then it can be used and no notation of mileage disparity is required. Otherwise, the only adjustment a repair person is permitted to make is to reset the mileage to zero. Because of rampant tampering in years past Congress basically said no person, except the odometer manufacturer or service facility, will be allowed to mess with the odometer reading.

As far as BUDs not being able to change an odometer reading, it would open the door to odometer tampering and that is clearly a violation of the Federal law. There's an interesting discussion on this page about odometer fraud. https://www.simple-car-answers.com/O...Tampering.html. In short, the article says a professional speedometer facility may change the mileage on a new odo to match the old, but they have to do it manually! They must have been sent both the old and new odometers to make the change so the vehicle will not be driven during this time. If the mileage is fairly high it could take a couple of weeks to do that. If the input spins the speedometer at 120 mph it would take over 10 days to reach 30,000 miles!

The required sticker on the door post and the service order showing the mileage before the change are legal documents and are just as valid as a set of numbers on the odometer. Of course, if you want to collude with a crooked service technician, then all bets are off!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Is Can Am illegal?

I got my ace back today, they replaced the multifuction gauge, brake reservoir kit and handlebar clamp screw. But it had over 7,000 miles on it when I dropped it off. It had 16 miles when I got it back. As far as I know it is illegal to change odometer mileage for any reason . I should be transferred with new gauge. I will do some more checking next week. Any thoughts?

Spyder Garage

Did you get any paperwork indicating the odometer had been changed on a specific date and what the mileage to that date was?
    Current: 2022 CAN AM F3S SS. Manta Green, Route 129 windscreen.

Previous:CAN AM Ryker Rally. Intense black, side case , comfort drivers seat, comfort passenger seat with back r test, wind screen, LED auxiliary lighting.
    2022 F3S, special series , Manta Green

Spyder Garage

Yes my ticket shows the mileage, but according to NHTSA it is illegal to change it. I will call them Monday.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would think that if they gave you paperwork that stated the milage, they did their part. It's up to you to state the correct mileage when it's sold.

If you sold or traded your Spyder without stating what YOU KNEW to be the actual, correct milage, then you would be committing a fraud.
    Last edited by BoilerAnimal; 07-12-2019 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

You didn't change it, the odometer was swapped out. This happens with autos at times also. It would be problematic if you sold the bike and didn't mention that it was changed out at 7000 miles. I do not know if there is some way to identify this on a motorcycle such as a sticker somewhere or if the information is stored with a title/registration. In NYC you have to certify the odometer reading is accurate when transferring ownership.
    Current: 2022 CAN AM F3S SS. Manta Green, Route 129 windscreen.

Previous:CAN AM Ryker Rally. Intense black, side case , comfort drivers seat, comfort passenger seat with back r test, wind screen, LED auxiliary lighting.
    2022 F3S, special series , Manta Green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
    I got my ace back today, they replaced the multifuction gauge, brake reservoir kit and handlebar clamp screw. But it had over 7,000 miles on it when I dropped it off. It had 16 miles when I got it back. As far as I know it is illegal to change odometer mileage for any reason . I should be transferred with new gauge. I will do some more checking next week. Any thoughts?
    https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/page.../odometer.aspx

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmith8695 View Post
    You didn't change it, the odometer was swapped out. This happens with autos at times also. It would be problematic if you sold the bike and didn't mention that it was changed out at 7000 miles. I do not know if there is some way to identify this on a motorcycle such as a sticker somewhere or if the information is stored with a title/registration. In NYC you have to certify the odometer reading is accurate when transferring ownership.
    I don't think it should be my responsibility to remember and or keep a piece of paper because can am didn't figure out a way to transfer mileage. I am honest but what if someone else is not. Plus it is really annoying to have to keep track of mileage for maintenance. It is just unacceptable to me.
    The dealer did say they can keep track of hours on the machine, not much help to me.

Spyder Garage

Unbelievably, my DIESEL engine (which SHOULD be good for 100s of 1000s of miles) BLEW recently at on 113,000!!! It was cheaper (supposedly) but not cheap to swap engines with a used one. The replacement engine had 25,000 less miles on it. So I can report actual mileage when selling is 25,000 less than what odometer says?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen47 View Post
    Unbelievably, my DIESEL engine (which SHOULD be good for 100s of 1000s of miles) BLEW recently at on 113,000!!! It was cheaper (supposedly) but not cheap to swap engines with a used one. The replacement engine had 25,000 less miles on it. So I can report actual mileage when selling is 25,000 less than what odometer says?
    Don't think so. Mileage is based on the vehicle not the engine.

Spyder Garage

MC odometers are swapped all the time, some for failure, others to upgrade. New odometer should state 0 miles, nothing illegal about it.

Spyder Garage

Jerbears post nailed it.

If you sell it YOU are to disclose the actual mileage.
    Nothing nefarious here.
    I'm a big fan of reading the actual regulations.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Legally speaking if the dealer or anyone else turns back an Odometer they are committing a crime ……. Mike - ( an x-Leo )…...