Thread: Helmet problem

Spyder Garage

Default Helmet problem

Good morning all,

My hubby and I are experiencing a knocking sound in our helmets. At first I thought it was being caused by the QE2 intercom system, but when I ride without the QE2 it also happens. We use the HJC FS-10 helmets with the integrated sunshield and we really like them except for this infernal knocking sound. Has anyone had a similar problem? Please .

quackerz

Spyder Garage

My first thought would be to keep your heads further apart!

But seriously I guess it could be part of the sunshield mechanism?
    Does it happen with shield in either position?

Spyder Garage

Helmet strap banging in the wind?
    or

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by q-brrr View Post

THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Do you ride with collars out? Years back, I started tucking my shirt or jacket collars in, got rid of a lot of helmet noise.

john

Spyder Garage

I noticed the same type of knocking sound... turned out to be the snap on the collar of my jacket hitting the side, lower part of the helmet (full face). I had been keeping it unsnapped. Now, if I snap it up or fold it down into the neck of the jacket I don't get that crazy tapping sound.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quackerz View Post
    Good morning all,

My hubby and I are experiencing a knocking sound in our helmets. At first I thought it was being caused by the QE2 intercom system, but when I ride without the QE2 it also happens. We use the HJC FS-10 helmets with the integrated sunshield and we really like them except for this infernal knocking sound. Has anyone had a similar problem? Please .

quackerz

I have the same helmet and have never noticed anything. I am guessing it is your collar or some clothing hitting the side.
    Mine is so quiet that I have trouble hearing myself sing. Believe me, thats a good thing. I only wish the people next to me could say the same thing.

Spyder Garage

I used to get that same thing. Turns out it was the tail of my Doo-Rag hitting the helmet. It drove me crazy for the longest time. Now I tie them a bit differently or tuck in the tail and the knocking is gone.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by q-brrr View Post

good one

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Helmet strap banging in the wind?
    or
    Woody Back!!

Spyder Garage

I've thought about all the posts and I appreciate all of the responses. I ride the spyder and my better half rides a Vstrom, so know clinking of the heads. The knocking sound happens when I'm ridding in a t-shirt or button down and the chin strap and jacket collar are not anywhere near where the sound is coming from. The knocking sound seams to come from the upper right side around or above the ear. I've owned a few different helmets and have never experienced this before. I guess I'll have to keep a look out for any renegade woodpeckers in southern California .
    Thanks,

quackerz

Spyder Garage

I've thought about all the posts and I appreciate all of the responses. I ride the spyder and my better half rides a Vstrom, so know clinking of the heads. The knocking sound happens when I'm ridding in a t-shirt or button down and the chin strap and jacket collar are not anywhere near where the sound is coming from. The knocking sound seams to come from the upper right side around or above the ear. I've owned a few different helmets and have never experienced this before. I guess I'll have to keep a look out for any renegade woodpeckers in southern California .
    Thanks,

quackerz
    Not to be redundant and I'm sure you probably checked but do you wear a doo rag? Does the tail stick out. That is where I was hearing the noise in my helmet and when I tucked the tail in the noise went away. I hope you find it, I know how annoying it can be to have the noise and not know what it is from.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the thought DL but nope no doo rag and I've never been able to grow my hair long enough for a respectable pony tail. I even gave up my skunk tail a few years back.

q-brrr I usually notice the knock at pretty decent speeds with my sunshield either up or down. The mechanism to the sunshield is on the top of the helmet not the side, but it is something to consider. I've been thinking that maybe it could be caused by wind?

Thanks again all for the feedback,

quackerz

Spyder Garage

While riding and getting that knocking or tapping sound, have you tried taking your left hand and feeling around the outside of your helmet to see if you can quiet the noise? I found the cause of a high speed whistle on my helmet caused by the top edge of the face shield and the seal of the face opening by doing that. Also, does the noise stay constant whether you tilt your head forward or back or left or right? The hand check and the head tilting check can help you pinpoint the potential source of the noise.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

I'll give those a try and see if I can figure were it's coming from. Thanks bjt. Were did you get the calvin and hobbs icons? They are pretty cool. I've always been a big fan of the strip.

quackerz

Spyder Garage

I'll give those a try and see if I can figure were it's coming from. Thanks bjt. Were did you get the calvin and hobbs icons? They are pretty cool. I've always been a big fan of the strip.

quackerz
    I found my avatar by doing a Google search for Calvin and Hobbes and I picked one of the many that came up. The little Hobbes smiley in my sig line... I found that at this smiley site. http://smileys.on-my-web.com/categorie10-Animals.html I have liked Calvin and Hobbes for years also.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.