Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: F3-s or Ryker??

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    7
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default F3-s or Ryker??

    Hi Spyderlovers,

    After riding a RSS for some time (loved the power!!), I think I am going to buy a Ryker this year. But a F3-s seems awesome too! Is there any ryder who has experience with both (or with the RSS) and can compare them for me ?

    THanks!!

    Greetings from Holland!

  2. #2
    Very Active Member chris56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    austria
    Posts
    1,025
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I used also an GS/RS and an RT - I think the Ryker is made for smaller roads and ideal to ryde here in the Alps (adventure-ryder).. but I had still no Chance to test one !!
    (I reserved one for february- but I would need different seats and more space for the luggage.. shouldn`t be a problem)

    Greetings from Austria
    smaller shield - lower sport-seat - GPS -adapter happy member of the spyder-crash-test-club - waiting for the HYBRID - SPYDER

  3. #3
    Very Active Member JayBros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Mint Hill, NC
    Posts
    2,993
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    To me the comparison is akin to that of a Miata vs Nissan 370Z.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    ******************************
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

  4. #4
    Active Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Windber,Pennsylvania
    Posts
    62
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    There is no bad choice there, but picking between them really comes down to what you envision doing on it, and where. If you see frequent trips 2+ hours at a time on higher speed roads/highways, then the F3 is a better choice IMO. Why? I works less to maintain those speeds (engine rpm's), it is a bit more comfortable at higher speeds (it weighs more, thus feels a bit more planted, and it has power steering) and it is capable of carrying more luggage to support a trip. If, however, the bulk of your riding is on local, twisty roads, or off-road a bit, or primarily an "under an hour" commute then the Ryker is simply more fun. It is exactly like JyaBros says, akin to a Miata vs a Nissan Z. Bopping around your city or town on a Ryker is more fun than you can imagine. But having put many, many miles on F3's, and a few on RS/Gs's, and a few on my Ryker I'd pick an F3 for a trip and a Ryker for everything else. Also, I'd prefer both over the RS/GS for every condition. The limited foot position, combined with the limited handlebar ergos and the high revving, heat dispensing V-twin engine are firmly supplanted by the triples in the newer stuff.

  5. #5
    Active Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Windber,Pennsylvania
    Posts
    62
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    That is it exactly

  6. #6
    Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Apex, N.C.
    Posts
    1,876
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    For me, the F3s, or F3T would be my choice. If you are riding a RS, you will definitely miss the storage. So going with a Ryker, you would miss the storage even more. The only advantage that I could see for the ryker would be pricing, and right now, there are deals on the F3 that put them near that price range. Plus if you go with the F3S, you will have cruise control, which is a must for me.
    But on the other hand, I am actually going to check out the ryker in about 2 hours. So I may come back with a whole different opinion on the bike. We will see.

  7. #7
    Very Active Member Chupaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA.
    Posts
    29,685
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default Depends...

    Test rydes are the best as what you want or like will vary greatly from others. What do you like about your RSS that you would miss and what you have been told about the F3 and Ryker that you would like give you something to look at when testing them. Have an RS and would not change it for I have grown fond of the high rpm twin and the seating and storage is perfect for me and my condition. One thing for sure is it will be fun finding out for yourself...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

    ​2012 RS sm5

  8. #8
    Consumer Advocate akspyderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Posts
    33,019
    Spyder Garage
    6

    Default

    Test rides are very important. The F3 and Ryker each have three wheels and look a little bit alike..but then the similarities stop.

    Both are entirely different machines. A test ride or two, or three is highly recommended here.

    People are really loving the Ryker, but I am thinkinjg the F3 has much to offer also.

    Let us know what you decide on.

    Currently Owned: 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium), 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow), 2015 Vulcan 900 LTD

    Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) Pictures of 2008 and 2009 Spyders are in Alaska Albums 2009 and 2010.
    5 Spyders, 10 years, 145,375 miles


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    24
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I was able to test drive a Ryker Rally today. The best way I could describe it, I was like being a kid again on a big wheel. I was smiling from ear to ear doing fishtails in the parking lot. I test drove a F3 in the fall and it was not the same. The F3 reminded me more of a motorcycle and the Ryker more like a snowmobile. Just twist and go! I put a deposit down on a Ryker today. I can't wait for spring. I do think my wife will still want a F3T. She prefers the creature comforts and doing fishtails does sound like fun to her.

  10. #10
    Active Member Winnex3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Paw paw mi
    Posts
    117
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wijames View Post
    I was able to test drive a Ryker Rally today. The best way I could describe it, I was like being a kid again on a big wheel. I was smiling from ear to ear doing fishtails in the parking lot. I test drove a F3 in the fall and it was not the same. The F3 reminded me more of a motorcycle and the Ryker more like a snowmobile. Just twist and go! I put a deposit down on a Ryker today. I can't wait for spring. I do think my wife will still want a F3T. She prefers the creature comforts and doing fishtails does sound like fun to her.
    https://youtu.be/mF8Tzi_yUIg

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I'm glad this thread was started, I've never owned (or ridden) any 3 wheeler and am waiting on the Rally at my local dealer which gave me time to do some reading, I discovered the F3-S (manual) and my wheels started turning with a lot of questions, they've been answered here, I have a Miata in the garage so I'll probly stick with the Rally but coming from a primarily sport bike background, the F3-S does look appealing with the manual tranny and higher HP. I might add that I live in a fairly mountainous part of Tennessee with a lot of good back roads up and down these mtns, some smooth and some not so much, I think the Rally will shine in this environment.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    24
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Great commercial! I had a couple of those as a kid. Problem was we would flatten (grind down) a rear wheel from all of the burn outs. The Ryker is pretty close!

  13. #13
    Active Member Winnex3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Paw paw mi
    Posts
    117
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wijames View Post
    Great commercial! I had a couple of those as a kid. Problem was we would flatten (grind down) a rear wheel from all of the burn outs. The Ryker is pretty close!
    That is exactly what the Rally reminds me of

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Australia, NSW
    Posts
    6
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Good thread and timely for me.
    Rykers are still a couple of weeks away from being available for test rides.
    Originally was attracted to the RTs for the storage and mega comfort then saw the F3 S Daytona edition while my son in law was picking up his Honda.
    Then the Ryker was announced so I really have a dilemma.
    A new RT is well out of affordability range however superseded F3 S's are around for $21 to $22k new.
    The Ryker Rally is $19k drive away over here so with a few extras thrown into the mix probably looking more like $21k.
    Kids are around 150 miles away and there are 2 ways to get there. Boring almost straight line highway or the longer way with plenty of twisties.
    I like the idea of cruise control on the F3 S for when I do take the highway and of course standard it does have a back seat that is not limited to 75kgs.
    Unfortunately I don't think they will lend me one of each for the weekend so it will be difficult to gauge which will ultimately be the ideal option.
    It will be fun finding out though and as mentioned earlier I don't think there is a wrong decision.

  15. #15
    Very Active Member chris56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    austria
    Posts
    1,025
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glennm View Post
    Good thread and timely for me.
    Rykers are still a couple of weeks away from being available for test rides.
    Originally was attracted to the RTs for the storage and mega comfort then saw the F3 S Daytona edition while my son in law was picking up his Honda.
    Then the Ryker was announced so I really have a dilemma.
    A new RT is well out of affordability range however superseded F3 S's are around for $21 to $22k new.
    The Ryker Rally is $19k drive away over here so with a few extras thrown into the mix probably looking more like $21k.
    Kids are around 150 miles away and there are 2 ways to get there. Boring almost straight line highway or the longer way with plenty of twisties.
    I like the idea of cruise control on the F3 S for when I do take the highway and of course standard it does have a back seat that is not limited to 75kgs.
    Unfortunately I don't think they will lend me one of each for the weekend so it will be difficult to gauge which will ultimately be the ideal option.
    It will be fun finding out though and as mentioned earlier I don't think there is a wrong decision.
    is the back seat of the Ryker limited to 75 kg ??? (is OK for my Girl ..but I plan to add a rack for the luggage !)
    smaller shield - lower sport-seat - GPS -adapter happy member of the spyder-crash-test-club - waiting for the HYBRID - SPYDER

  16. #16
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    32
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glennm View Post
    Good thread and timely for me.
    Rykers are still a couple of weeks away from being available for test rides.
    Originally was attracted to the RTs for the storage and mega comfort then saw the F3 S Daytona edition while my son in law was picking up his Honda.
    Then the Ryker was announced so I really have a dilemma.
    A new RT is well out of affordability range however superseded F3 S's are around for $21 to $22k new.
    The Ryker Rally is $19k drive away over here so with a few extras thrown into the mix probably looking more like $21k.
    Kids are around 150 miles away and there are 2 ways to get there. Boring almost straight line highway or the longer way with plenty of twisties.
    I like the idea of cruise control on the F3 S for when I do take the highway and of course standard it does have a back seat that is not limited to 75kgs.
    Unfortunately I don't think they will lend me one of each for the weekend so it will be difficult to gauge which will ultimately be the ideal option.
    It will be fun finding out though and as mentioned earlier I don't think there is a wrong decision.

    I think if I was in your situation I would go with the F3 with the reasoning being you will be using it on fairly long boring rides (possibly), plus the F3 is no slouch in the twisties. Plus you get the added storage.
    Just my two cents.

  17. #17
    SpyderLovers Founder Lamonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    15,733
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Right now I own two RT's, two F3's and two Rykers. I think the Ryker will be the most fun of all of them. There are some good deals on used F3's out there so now's the time to buy. It all depends on what you want it for. I think the Ryker will be more like your RS fun wise.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Australia, NSW
    Posts
    6
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Thanks for the comments, all very helpful. Hopefully test rides will highlight a clear winner for me. I have always liked small to mid sized sport bikes and cars but getting softer (and heavier) as I get older.
    Everything I have read so far indicates the passenger seat has a limit of 75kgs.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    nashville
    Posts
    9
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    i just bought a new 2018 f3-s. i debated the same thing for awhile. i got an amazing deal on my f3 so when it comes time to part with it i wont take as much of a loss. i dont usually keep bikes for more than a year or 2 at most because i want to ride and enjoy as many different ones as i can but cannot afford to own all of them at once. i plan to enjoy the f3 and wait till the price comes down on the ryker and they prove to be worth owning. on the plus side i give it a year or 2 at best before we see turbo rykers whether it be factory or aftermarket. plus i am hoping to be able to take a trip or 2 with the wife on the f3 this summer depending on if we can get away from work and a sitter at the same time. i definitely think the f3 is far more suited for it. so my plan and suggestion is plan to own both. just decide which one first.

  20. #20
    Active Member Cobwebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    35
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    I recently blew the budget on a new discounted F3s Daytona after heading in to put a deposit on a Ryker for my wife.Bang for the buck was unbeatable all things considered.Wife agreed.Only problem I've sort of developed a liking for the thing and really don't want to hand it over so my bargain buy looks like costing me the price of a Ryker when they arrive
    My cunning plan is working out perfectly with the only forseeable glitch being if she reads this
    Not advocating any sort of underhanded behavior robholland but just reminding you your hunter gatherer instincts sometimes have to be exercised to make things happen.
    I've never been near an RSS or Ryker but have always gravitated to the no substitute for cubes and buttons and gears and wider tyres etc end of the spectrum,yeah the Ryker would be a laugh for a while but for me not as enduring as the F3s.Hope this helps

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    4
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I've had a Daytona SM6 for a little over a year and have loved it. I also faced this dilemma when the Ryker was announced. I had to do a test ride to see what the hype was all about. So I went to our local dealer 2 weeks ago and test rode a 900. It was a blast!
    Very quick and nimble. If your coming from, or ride a lot of motorcycles its more like a sport bike. Its motor response is quick and runs at a higher RPM. F3 reminds me more of a cruiser little bigger and more comfortable and still able to get sideways (sport mode).
    Just my 2 cents. A test drive should decide it for you.

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Australia, NSW
    Posts
    6
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    I recently blew the budget on a new discounted F3s Daytona after heading in to put a deposit on a Ryker for my wife.Bang for the buck was unbeatable all things considered.Wife agreed.Only problem I've sort of developed a liking for the thing and really don't want to hand it over so my bargain buy looks like costing me the price of a Ryker when they arrive
    My cunning plan is working out perfectly with the only forseeable glitch being if she reads this
    Not advocating any sort of underhanded behavior robholland but just reminding you your hunter gatherer instincts sometimes have to be exercised to make things happen.
    I've never been near an RSS or Ryker but have always gravitated to the no substitute for cubes and buttons and gears and wider tyres etc end of the spectrum,yeah the Ryker would be a laugh for a while but for me not as enduring as the F3s.Hope this helps
    Congrats on the F3 purchase. Awesome looking beast! I hadn't even considered a F3 until I saw the Daytona.

  23. #23
    Active Member Cobwebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    35
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glennm View Post
    Congrats on the F3 purchase. Awesome looking beast! I hadn't even considered a F3 until I saw the Daytona.

    Just has the look doesn't it and at 20K out the door was a no brainer for us.Still can't wait to try the Ryker I'm sure it will suit the wifes needs but didn't want to let this bargain slip.

  24. #24
    Very Active Member Sarge707's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,250
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I have had a GS, RT and Now a F3 with a Ryker on order. If the Ryker Turns out to be All I need because I don't go on trips then I will sell the F3 During the summer OR Next summer OR Next summer . At 70 Having a F3, Ryker and New Sea Doo GTI-SE is about all a old man can wish for?
    2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

    Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Australia, NSW
    Posts
    6
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Cobwebs - brilliant deal.

    Cobwebs, Sarge looking forward to feedback from those with both in the family!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •