Thread: Oil dripping

Spyder Garage

Default Oil dripping

So I recently got my first oil change and after I got it home I am finding oil on the garage floor. Woke up this morning to about half a dollar bill size. Cleaned it, cleaned the bike, “inspected it” and now about 11 hours later I find about a silver dollar size. I’m hoping the mech was messy and this is nothing to worry about. However, if there is something wrong what do you think it could be?

2018 Spyder RT Ltd. 1900 miles

Thanks,
    Kevin
    2018 RT Ltd. , Champagne

Spyder Garage

Seems that some oil may have been around the drain hole....but it doesn’t explain why there was so much this morning...any thoughts.
    2018 RT Ltd. , Champagne

Spyder Garage

Default Keep checking...

Does seem like a lot for a messy oil change. If it continues take her back may be a drain plug problem...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

could be messy tech. there are 2 plastic cover pans under engine area, could have laid in there some, but have cut outs around drain plugs. there are 3 areas affected by a oil change. the 6mm hex plug, torx plug, and filter housing cover. hope it stops
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Hopefully just residue, but importantly WHERE is the drip? If on Lh by where a shift petal is normally:
    See this thread https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ranny-heads-up

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Hopefully just residue, but importantly WHERE is the drip? If on Lh by where a shift petal is normally:
    See this thread https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ranny-heads-up
    Unless I am missing something, the linked topic does not apply to SE6 gearboxes installed in the 1330 Spyders since 2014 and after. The link is applicable to the SE5 gearbox installed with the V Twin.

As best I can tell, this was a first oil change on a 2018 Spyder.

Spyder Garage

In regards to the oil spots on the floor, mentioned in the original post, pretty common for the oil to splash when drained and get onto the underbody panels. You should ensure that the drain plugs are wiped and show no leakage. Other than that, the oil drops should diminish quickly. Not saying positively that is the problem, but is typical. The dealers tech should have cleaned those panels prior to releasing the Spyder, but as often happens, the quality of workmanship varies between each tech.

If the dealer is nearby, return to the dealer and insist it is cleaned up. If you paid by credit card, dispute paying them until the work scope is finished, but this may bite you later.

Upon completing an oil change on our RTS, while the right side panel is removed to accomplish oil filter replacement, I spray some Simple Green onto those panels, then rinse. Ladt oil change I removed both underbody panels to inspect for leaks or other concerns. While the panels were off, and they were quite clean, I still gave them a good wash before reinstalling.

Spyder Garage

In addition to the comments above, in which I concur, if you elected to have an oil change done 1,100 miles early on an engine that is due for its first one at 3,000 miles, that's your choice. If on the other hand someone at the dealership that did the change recommended it, it's time to return to that dealership and have a come to Jesus meeting with the service manager about the sloppy service and the bum information you were given about the first oil change schedule. If you were in fact given bum scoop it's time to hunt for a dealership that does everything correctly and isn't just out for the contents of your wallet. Again, if the latter situation was your case go to pg. 113 of your operator's guide at this link and memorize it, http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...adster&type=og.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

So we figured out the issue. The tech reused the crush washer and O-rings on the left side which led to a very poor seal and a leak. As to why I changed my oil so early it was because I had my cluster changed out and upon doing so the odometer by default 0 on the new computer while the machine may have “x” miles on it. BRP knows of this bug and are working on a resolution. Ergo, I opted to have my oil changed early so I wouldn’t accidentally end up at 4000+ miles on the same oil. Rather play it safe than sorry. On the plus side I got another oil change for free. Lol. Service between my second and third oil, ~100 miles. I should have the cleanest engine and oil in town. The oil was coming from the left drain plug.
    2018 RT Ltd. , Champagne

Spyder Garage

Glad it was found & corrected. Thanks for keeping us informed

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check the drain seal as mentioned. Can do the issues you mentioned

Spyder Garage

Good to know the whole story. The tech should have to be pulling the service manager's boot out of his backside.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BioAbyssal View Post
    So we figured out the issue. The tech reused the crush washer and O-rings on the left side which led to a very poor seal and a leak. As to why I changed my oil so early it was because I had my cluster changed out and upon doing so the odometer by default 0 on the new computer while the machine may have “x” miles on it. BRP knows of this bug and are working on a resolution. Ergo, I opted to have my oil changed early so I wouldn’t accidentally end up at 4000+ miles on the same oil. Rather play it safe than sorry. On the plus side I got another oil change for free. Lol. Service between my second and third oil, ~100 miles. I should have the cleanest engine and oil in town. The oil was coming from the left drain plug.
    My question is why did you have to get your cluster changed out ...what was the problem I am asking due to my 2017 had to have the cluster replaced.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Rest assurred, your drain plug will be tight now...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydernatic View Post
    My question is why did you have to get your cluster changed out ...what was the problem I am asking due to my 2017 had to have the cluster replaced.
    I had these odd bubbles under the screen that would show up in bright light such as sun or when I was detailing it. They showed up on the edges of the screen and looked like some type of delamination or perhaps a poor seal between the lcd screen and display. BRP has now been made aware of the oddity and working on finding what is causing the issue at the mfg level and hopefully can produce a “flawless” cluster.
    2018 RT Ltd. , Champagne