Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Tipping on a cruise ship?

My wife and I have been on cruises before but I constantly struggle with the suggested “tipping” advices given out by the cruise lines. Thoughts forum members?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Geep View Post
    My wife and I have been on cruises before but I constantly struggle with the suggested “tipping” advices given out by the cruise lines. Thoughts forum members?
    This is a great question and one of the reasons I try to avoid these situations

My (unsubstantiated) opinion is that some cruise lines try to go cheap on the help and depend on passengers' generosity through tipping to keep the employees happy about their total compensation. Makes me wonder about the quality of the employees and where else the company has cut the corners on expenses.

I also think tipping should not be expected of passengers who have already paid through the nose for an 'all expenses paid' trip.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

An interesting subject for discussion.

I have not been on a cruise ship but still run into the same thing with travel and dining. Bell Hops, Redcaps, Waitresses, Wheel Chair Attendants, Free drinks in Vegas.

All of the above are paid less than minimum wages--so depend on the kindness of the public. I pay based on service received.

For dining, I start at 15% and give the server a lot more if it is warranted. Most of the others get $5 a pop unless the distance is long or the service exceptional.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

not knowing is the problem & that is why i like the countries that have the no tip policies

Spyder Garage

We tip $5 per day for the room Stewart and $30.00 per cruise for our waiter at dinner. Usually tip one dollar per drink order for bar staff.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No doubt: the folks working the hardest to make the boat ride pleasurable: should get the biggest gratuities.
    Having said that: the guy with the fancy uniform who is in charge of those workers: got zip from us!
    All that he seemed to do; was hang close to the Ship's Captain during his visits out among the Tourists...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    We tip $5 per day for the room Stewart and $30.00 per cruise for our waiter at dinner. Usually tip one dollar per drink order for bar staff.
    What if his name isn't Stewart?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Perhaps it was Stuart?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post

Haven’t been on a cruise, but we do similar to this in our hotel stays. $5 per day for room help, $1 per drink order.

We have been thinking about an all-inclusive cruise and have wondered about the tipping. Thanks for the thread.

Spyder Garage

Do you or do you not tip when ordering take-out from a restaurant? That's what gets me.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it's a drive-up window: no!
    I see that Olive Garden offers their menu as take-out: we haven't tried that yet...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Geep View Post
    I have been on several cruses (from 3 to 15 days), and always do the prepaid tipping thing since sadly this is how they get a proper paycheck. Then at the end of the cruise I individually tip those (room steward, waiters) that gave me great service. As for the bar staff, I rarely use them, as I refuse to pay those high prices for a soda, and I don't drink alcohol.

On one cruise I requested that my pre paid tip be reduced due to the room steward making advances toward my (then) 16 year-old daughter. I specifically said no tip for this person, but kept it the same for the others. Yes it was reported to the ship captain, and cruise company.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Do you or do you not tip when ordering take-out from a restaurant? That's what gets me.

To me take out at a place like Olive Garden means you're trying to save a few dollars that night, so no tip. LOL

Ive worked in the restaurant business years and years ago so generally I tip at restaurants whenever seated at a table.

And yes Bob, you gotta try Olive Garden takeout, they generally do a great job of including everything and its nice sitting at your own table eating it...then crashing on the couch without driving home first. LOL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But I'm still trying to figure out how I can order the "All you can eat soup and salad": for take-out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it's an all inclusive deal, I tip if I feel like it's warranted. Tipping is mostly a North American thing. Without getting into the argument of a living wage, service industry workers here have to put up with a lot of ****, and if they provide service beyond expectations, they deserve a tip.

Related note, it was in the news that Frontier Airlines are now encouraging tipping your flight attendants. Good or bad? "Oh thank you for giving me that handful of snack crackers and pouring the 1/2 can of soda". That's worth what... a dime? What's next, we chip in for gas for the airplane?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I had a completely different mental image when I saw the title of this thread.

photo_verybig_135719.jpg
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    But I'm still trying to figure out how I can order the "All you can eat soup and salad": for take-out.

::

Spyder Garage

the most recent cruise I was on, I used the automatic (standard) tipping. then gave specific thank you tips to those that did some nice things to help me feel I was on vacation.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

now if tipping is an american thing should we be tipping on a cruise ship whose crew & captain are usually not american and the ship isn't
    registered in the u.s.?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    now if tipping is an american thing should we be tipping on a cruise ship whose crew & captain are usually not american and the ship isn't
    registered in the u.s.?
    Decent article on why cruise ships aren't registered in US. https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...tries/1760759/

Many of the companies are international, with US branches (Princess, Holland, RCL). So, I guess it depends? I know that when I took an EU cruise, there was a distinctly different feel to the tipping than the Carb cruises.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

We always give the standard rate and then give our Steward another $20 or so, a couple of days into the cruise. Those that tip extra get much more back in service. The cheapos only get minimal service. We always get treated like royalty by our cabin stewards. Don't be cheap. These people make way less than you, or I do and work like dogs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    To me take out at a place like Olive Garden means you're trying to save a few dollars that night, so no tip. LOL
    Or possibly your wife was working around the house all day and doesn't want to get cleaned up to go out and doesn't want to cook.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

My wife is Filipina and we've talked about this extensively with Filipino crew members, who are usually the majority of the crew because they are English-speaking. What we learned is that most members of the crew earn about $400 a month from the ship. The tips supplement this and are collected by the cruise line and divided among the entire crew, including the folks in the engine room that you never see. These people work seven (7) days a week, sometimes on 12 hour shifts, unless they get a few hours off in port. They do this continuously for several months at a time, then they have to pay for their flights back home, a costly expense when you earn $400 a month. Yes, they earn more than they would at home but few of us would work under those conditions, let alone do it AND maintain a smile and good attitude. Hence we always tip the suggested amount and are grateful for the great service. You don't need to tip individually although none of the crew is going to say no.

BTW I don't like this system, it's not fair to either the passengers or crew, but it is what it is. Unless and until the cruise lines decide to change, I won't screw over some poor soul who works 12 hour days seven days a week.
    2017 RTS , Blue