Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default My new Ski Adventure - day #19

Well today was both Incredible and Terrible ….. The good - last night it got down to about 0 F......and it continued snowing ( 2 days worth ). When it's that cold the snow is what in the Skiing world is known as " Champagne Powder " ( we got 10 inches ) ...you folks in the west get a lot , if not most of this type of snow....here in the East it's not common, we ski on very hard pack or frozen granular, and of course lots of just plain ICE ….. It's quite interesting to look down at your Ski's and not see them also can't hear them … it kind of freaked me out , …...The BAD - had a terrible fall , caught an edge and did a somersault ….. I think I may have cracked a rib or two, took some aspirin and now I'm just waiting to see how bad this might be …. I'm pretty much anti-go-to-the-Doctor, and even if they are cracked , not much they can do, ( I'm NOT spiting up any blood .. yet )... except wrap you up with Ace bandages ….. The weather report for Friday is -10F and high winds, so I won't miss it ….. Monday's forecast is much much better so, I'll try and rest and see what develops …… PS the Sking was " Freaking Incredible ", PPS I still continued to ski, but on less steep slopes , it was mostly OK …...Later … Mike

Spyder Garage

At our age, we don't bounce back as quickly as we use to. But, sounds like you have skied yourself into pretty good shape. Go easy and remember, "we go where we look" applies to both motorcycling AND skiing. If you look down at your skis, that is where you will find yourself..... heal quickly..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    At our age, we don't bounce back as quickly as we use to. But, sounds like you have skied yourself into pretty good shape. Go easy and remember, "we go where we look" applies to both motorcycling AND skiing. If you look down at your skis, that is where you will find yourself..... heal quickly..... Jim
    ...….just to clarify, I wasn't looking at my ski's when I caught that edge ………… Thanks …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Ouch! Sorry to hear this. Be gentle, cracked ribs hurt! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I also know of the cracked/broken rib syndrome. If it still hurts to take a deep breath two weeks later----- ya broke it. I couldn't lay on my rt side for a few months. Yes I did i skiing.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    I also know of the cracked/broken rib syndrome. If it still hurts to take a deep breath two weeks later----- ya broke it. I couldn't lay on my rt side for a few months. Yes I did i skiing.

Lew L
    Yep I went skiing today anyway ( day #20 )( Fri. ) , Using my poles during actual skiing is OK , but using my left pole to move me on flat ground is a bit painful ….. I don't have any pain during normal breathing, But if I fully inhale and expand my lungs there is a little bit of pain.....I also about the sleeping thing - No way could I sleep on my left side, the right wasn't too un-comfortable. I'll just do what I have been doing for a year now with my sprained left thumb .... deal with the pain, I'm not sure the sprain will ever go away ……. Mike

Spyder Garage

Hi Mike,
    Ya--- soft tissue injuries can take a long time to heal. You may have bruised the intercostal muscles (the ones in between the ribs ). But if you can ski---- I don't think you broke a rib/ribs.

Heal up

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Spyder Garage

Hi Mike,
    Ya--- soft tissue injuries can take a long time to heal. You may have bruised the intercostal muscles (the ones in between the ribs ). But if you can ski---- I don't think you broke a rib/ribs.

Heal up
    Yes, I think that is what happened ….. aspirin makes it feel better , I doubt that would be the case if one or more were cracked or broken ……………. Thanks …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Ouch...!!

Had the whole ribs broken thing but from a motorcycle wreck and know your not popping back by monday... Sorry about the fall but heal well I'm sure you won't be running out of the white stuff anytime soon...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Off to ski this fine Sunday morning. Mt. Rose has a non-denominational service near the top of the mountain on Sundays. I try not to ski on weekends because it's to crowded for me ( even though Rose usually isnt to, to bad on Sunday. More storms to drop more snow starting Monday.

Lew L

Spyder Garage

Off to ski this fine Sunday morning. Mt. Rose has a non-denominational service near the top of the mountain on Sundays. I try not to ski on weekends because it's to crowded for me ( even though Rose usually isnt to, to bad on Sunday. More storms to drop more snow starting Monday.

Lew L
    ...………..May the force be with you ……………. At Sugarbush where I ski …. I wouldn't ski on a weekend if you paid me to ...… Mike

Spyder Garage

Glad you are ok.
    Ranman42

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ranman42 View Post
    Glad you are ok.
    Well the pain has gotten a bit worse ( I was sure it was going to ) and I have a three inch dia. black & blue spot on my chest near where my heart is located ( at least I think I have one - a few here would deny that tho ) I had to go out today ( in trk ) and I discovered I couldn't turn the steering wheel with my left arm, the pain was too severe ….so I stopped trying ……………………. thanks for thoughts ….. Mike PS I still plan to Ski tomorrow thru Fri. ( hopefully ) ….

Spyder Garage

Mike, take it easy. If you go out tomorrow, play on the bunny slopes. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Be careful....you can puncture a lung with a broken rib ya'know.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1iHooligan View Post
    Be careful....you can puncture a lung with a broken rib ya'know.
    ...…….. Thanks I'll keep that in mind

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    Play on the bunny slopes------- you must be kidding

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    Truth be told - as a rule I always start out on Green dot trails ( beginner ) …… after I'm warmed / loosened up I usually got to some single BLACK DIAMOND ( expert ) trails because that's when I'm at my strongest ….. then I'll finish the day on the ( blue ) intermediate / advanced trails ….. I had another great day today ( day # 22 ) ………..Mike