Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default My New SKI adventures - cont'd.

Well after 19 days , I think I have improved past my New ski's ….. So I just bought a pair of Head Link Pro-r ski's with Tyrolia bindings …. they have a 128-71-108 sidecut (which is more pronounced than my Elan wave flex ski's )….they are 10 cm longer at 170, and are labeled intermediate / advanced ….. The Elan's were beginner/ intermediate ….. Should be delivered a week from this fri. ……….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default congratulations....🎉🎉🎉

So now a whole new learning experience.... not that I have a clue what all that data is but hope they get you where your going in one piece....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Way to go, Mike!

If you keep improving at that rate, you may be spending more on ski equipment than you do on your Spyder!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Well now that the storms have left for a few days ( Almonst 4 FEET of new snow) I'll be doing a bit of skiing today and next week. New snow, fresh wax and tune----- can't wait. Leaving as soon as my ski buddy .arives.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Congratulations on your promotion to more advanced skis. Just for curiosity, I pulled my old skis out to see if I could do a comparison with your new ones. Mine are antique and there is not much to compare. They are Dynastar MaxRL 180CM. No indication of side cut specs but they are Kevlar Fiber with "Aircell Core". Manufacture date is 01-2002. Before buying these skis, I had Olin CVEs 210CM from the early 70s. I bought the Dynastars when parabolic skis were fairly new. A friend owned a ski shop and I rented them just to see what all the new rage for parabolic was all about. He set me up with brand new skis and bindings. Told me if I liked them he would apply the rental fee towards the purchase price. After skiing for a day, I called him and told him to "write it up"....."not bring the skis back". He was a good salesman..... Anxious to hear about your reaction to your new skis..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well after 19 days , I think I have improved past my New ski's ….. So I just bought a pair of Head Link Pro-r ski's with Tyrolia bindings …. they have a 128-71-108 sidecut (which is more pronounced than my Elan wave flex ski's )….they are 10 cm longer at 170, and are labeled intermediate / advanced ….. The Elan's were beginner/ intermediate ….. Should be delivered a week from this fri. ……….. Mike
    Mike,
    Please take a look at you new skis and look for the "radius" of the side cut. My newish Dynastar Cham's are are 15 meter radius. A lower number is a faster turning ski more for slalom, linked turn type of ski. Larger than 15 meters or so and its a beginner larger radius turning ski.
    Your new ski is very narrow under foot ( the 71 mm number) and is probably a lower radius #. That type of ski really likes to be on edge ( carved turns ) . They will be " lively"

New skis are kool

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Mike,
    Please take a look at you new skis and look for the "radius" of the side cut. My newish Dynastar Cham's are are 15 meter radius. A lower number is a faster turning ski more for slalom, linked turn type of ski. Larger than 15 meters or so and its a beginner larger radius turning ski.
    Your new ski is very narrow under foot ( the 71 mm number) and is probably a lower radius #. That type of ski really likes to be on edge ( carved turns ) . They will be " lively"

New skis are kool

Lew L
    Will do ….. My earlier " new " ski ...the Elan wave flex … was listed at 13.2 radius ….. The new Head's that I'm waiting for has a deeper sidecut probably in the high 11's or low 12's ….. The head's will be stiffer also.( at least what I was told )…… Due to my " advanced age " … I was looking for a very easy turning ski, and the Elan's are that and more , however my speed is also picking up so a stiffer model may work out better, less chatter, better hold ( theses are 170 cm the Elan's were 160 )……. I'll keep posting , look for my Day # 19 - thread ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Congratulations on your promotion to more advanced skis. Just for curiosity, I pulled my old skis out to see if I could do a comparison with your new ones. Mine are antique and there is not much to compare. They are Dynastar MaxRL 180CM. No indication of side cut specs but they are Kevlar Fiber with "Aircell Core". Manufacture date is 01-2002. Before buying these skis, I had Olin CVEs 210CM from the early 70s. I bought the Dynastars when parabolic skis were fairly new. A friend owned a ski shop and I rented them just to see what all the new rage for parabolic was all about. He set me up with brand new skis and bindings. Told me if I liked them he would apply the rental fee towards the purchase price. After skiing for a day, I called him and told him to "write it up"....."not bring the skis back". He was a good salesman..... Anxious to hear about your reaction to your new skis..... Jim
    I just went up in the attic, my last pair from 20 + yrs. ago were Rossignol "group 1 - 7G Kevlar " ( giant slalom ) @ 203 cm ….virtually NO sidecut and because the bindings were all metal … they weigh THREE times what my Elan's do ...haha …. AS I recall back in the day, they worked best at the " DOWNHILL " courses I ran ….. Zero chatter and impossible to turn …. I'm much happier with what they are producing today ….. If I had to go back to the Rossi's I couldn't ski anymore ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Way to go, Mike!

If you keep improving at that rate, you may be spending more on ski equipment than you do on your Spyder!
    Well my 14RT is pretty well mod'ed out now. So except for gas and maintenance I'm done spending money on it...… and the way I figure it, I'M WORTH IT ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Well now that the storms have left for a few days ( Almonst 4 FEET of new snow) I'll be doing a bit of skiing today and next week. New snow, fresh wax and tune----- can't wait. Leaving as soon as my ski buddy .arives.

Lew L
    Look for my " Day 19 " thread ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

You are having way to much fun.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red