Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default What's the matter with UtahPete?

I've received quite a bit of criticism over the years. Some of it I understood and some I didn't think was justified. What is common with all those critical posts is that they clutter up otherwise useful threads by devolving into something off-topic.

So, I thought I'd start an off-topic thread where anyone feeling particularly upset by something I've posted can let me know that without taking the original thread off-topic.

I'm actually quite appreciative of critical feedback given in the spirit of kindness. Not so much with the nasty criticism, but I recognize that behind those reactions lies some possibly useful feedback about the way I am coming across to people.

So, I welcome your comments and, even if they are said in anger or frustration, I will try to respond respectfully. I am hoping this works and doesn't devolve into something the moderators will feel compelled to close. But, let's try it and see what happens.

Flame away.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Unlike 99.99% of the members here------ I know Pete personally. Have ridden with him through the Sierras. Had lunch with him, his wife, and Pegasus. ( NO food dripping, fire breathing, lightning coming from the horns that are NOT on his head)

Pete is not on my "ignore" list ( as are some others here)

I don't think that a flaming is necessary at all. My V-Max has flames---- because it's just that fast.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I can't think of anyone on this forum that I totally agree with all the time. But some people are more agreeable than others. And some people seem to have to regularly criticize every little post that is not to their liking. The world is full of positive and negative people and this forum is no different. Now, as for Pete. Well, I hope to have an opportunity to meet him (you) at the Yuma Ryde-in this month. I will report back if I find him (you) to be too short and having lousy taste in music..... ..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Just a note for everyone, Pete asked about him, so comments in this thread that are not related to Petes question will be removed, thats where you post went 2dogs, in case you are wondering, you posting about other users, isnt what this thread is about.

I gave directions to the mods to let this post fly, so no Pete it wont get closed.
    2018 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

I was really looking forward to meeting Pete at the Yuma ride but my work got in the way. When I first started reading his posts it took me awhile to figure out that he was only saying what he thought and was not being mean or disrespectful. I appreciate a man who can just say what he's thinking and not worry about what someone with thin skin thinks. This is a guy that has gone to a lot of trouble and work to put together a ride so we can enjoy what we like to do. Hope we can meet someday Pete.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    I was really looking forward to meeting Pete at the Yuma ride but my work got in the way. When I first started reading his posts it took me awhile to figure out that he was only saying what he thought and was not being mean or disrespectful. I appreciate a man who can just say what he's thinking and not worry about what someone with thin skin thinks. This is a guy that has gone to a lot of trouble and work to put together a ride so we can enjoy what we like to do. Hope we can meet someday Pete.
    We will. Even if I have to ride up to Oregon. Actually, we were planning a NW tour this past summer, but it didn't happen. So, try again this summer.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You asked questions today that, if they had been posted by others you would have flamed them. You were getting back a little of what you normally give and I guess you don’t like it.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Pete

I have no dog in this fight. However in my personal opinion, I have seen some of your post and though I do not personally feel they are in bad taste so to speak I feel many people do not know how to handle the text. When we speak to someone face to face we can clearly see the emotion and the facial expression that allows us to make a decision on what the person is trying to convey, be it happy, angry, sarcastic etc.

It is hard to show the emotion in text, and sometimes me included
    people misunderstand the writers intent. Just my .02
    To be continued....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    Pete, I have no dog in this fight. However in my personal opinion, I have seen some of your post and though I do not personally feel they are in bad taste so to speak I feel many people do not know how to handle the text. When we speak to someone face to face we can clearly see the emotion and the facial expression that allows us to make a decision on what the person is trying to convey, be it happy, angry, sarcastic etc. It is hard to show the emotion in text and sometimes, me included, people misunderstand the writers intent. Just my .02
    I think that's why folks use emojis (sometimes misleadingly) with non-verbal communication.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

SpyderAnn stated it. Myself, having read the replies you offer others certainly is not in the spirit of good will and helping. Maybe not every reply, but many of your replies.

As Ann explained, an oppertunity presented itself, allowing a chance to hold a mirror to your face. Right or wrong, maybe that became part of your reason for this topic.

I am not indicating or stating you are a bad person nor an angel. Merely, I became frustrated seeing your meaningless post do what you are claiming not to want, diluting the topics effectiveness. Your near constant barrage of telling folks to search or get back on topic in the quantity you are known to do, is simply rude.

Spyders and many Spyder owners are a fun group. Not a one of us is perfect or without fault or making mistakes. You are certainly not the internet mall cop with full power to advise people about moving a topic to another section.

People are who they are, I am who I am, and you Pete are you. The chances of this topic solving any of what goes on seems slim to nil, whether it be you or one of us.

Yesterday or the day before, I did something I never enjoy doing, I added you to my Ignore List. Without doubt, my name fills many ignore lists, so consider that you may be in good company. However, almost always, for me on Spyderlovers, if you made my Ignore List, I decided that most of what you post is worthless fluff, and with that if I decide to read it, I can.

All the best with your event and more, maybe someday we shall meet face to face and enjoy that time together.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You asked questions today that, if they had been posted by others you would have flamed them. You were getting back a little of what you normally give and I guess you don’t like it.
    It's not that I don't like it, Ann. It's that I don't understand it.

Either I don't understand what they are saying, or I don't understand what it was I said that folks object to so strongly. I know there have been times, usually in off-topic but not always, that I was responding emotionally to something, and I deserved rebuke for my response.

But, I truly don't understand what most folks (including you) are upset with me for. I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is I've done or said that has caused your antagonism toward me. And, you know that I have attempted to speak with you in private about it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    SpyderAnn stated it. Myself, having read the replies you offer others certainly is not in the spirit of good will and helping. Maybe not every reply, but many of your replies.

As Ann explained, an oppertunity presented itself, allowing a chance to hold a mirror to your face. Right or wrong, maybe that became part of your reason for this topic.

I am not indicating or stating you are a bad person nor an angel. Merely, I became frustrated seeing your meaningless post do what you are claiming not to want, diluting the topics effectiveness. Your near constant barrage of telling folks to search or get back on topic in the quantity you are known to do, is simply rude.

Spyders and many Spyder owners are a fun group. Not a one of us is perfect or without fault or making mistakes. You are certainly not the internet mall cop with full power to advise people about moving a topic to another section.

People are who they are, I am who I am, and you Pete are you. The chances of this topic solving any of what goes on seems slim to nil, whether it be you or one of us.

Yesterday or the day before, I did something I never enjoy doing, I added you to my Ignore List. Without doubt, my name fills many ignore lists, so consider that you may be in good company. However, almost always, for me on Spyderlovers, if you made my Ignore List, I decided that most of what you post is worthless fluff, and with that if I decide to read it, I can.

All the best with your event and more, maybe someday we shall meet face to face and enjoy that time together.
    Thanks, PMK. I appreciate your candor. Some of it I'm sure is just my personality. I'm very direct and unfiltered in my comments - it rubs some folks the wrong way. But, I'll try to be more sensitive to the tone and purpose of my posts in the future.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    You like the Diesel Canyon? I have the 3.6 Non Denali
    Somebody's going to criticize me for taking this off-off-topic, but yes, we love the Diesel Canyon. Funny story, I wanted a diesel pickup truck and I knew my wife didn't like either diesels or pickups. So, I made an appointment to drive the top-of-the-line Denali diesel short-bed, because I was hoping the interior and high-tech stuff would help win her over. When I got to the dealer with her, I saw it was a red truck and I knew she 'hated' red. But, we were there after driving an hour through a driving rainstorm last fall, so we took a test-drive and I insisted Jane drive it first. I told her - honey if you really hate it after driving it, I'll forget the whole thing. Short story is she got over her distaste for pickup trucks AND even grudgingly acknowledged that it was a 'pretty red color'. Then I told her she'd been driving a diesel and her jaw fell to the floor - it is so quiet and smooth and clean she had no idea. So, we bought it.

I should have known it would end this way. When I came home one day 10 years ago with a motorcycle, she looked in horror at it and said she had no idea I liked motorcycles. She certainly didn't and had told her 2 boys they could never have one. Long story short, she came to like riding behind me on the bike. She really liked the Spyder and fully endorsed me getting one. A year ago, she wanted her own (that's the Cognac one I bought off someone here on SL down in Alabam).
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I enjoy your threads. I disagree with you on politics and second amendment. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    I enjoy your threads. I disagree with you on politics and second amendment. Bruce
    I always learn something when debating with someone of an opposing point of view. Mutual respect of others is the lifeblood of our democracy, I believe.

But, I digress....

What the heck do you mean, you disagree with me? What's wrong with you anyway?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I remember a similar post where you mentioned that you have this habit of rubbing people the wrong way, and you were going to change. You have changed, but in the wrong direction. Here, are you looking for one of these........MEA CULPA. Sorry, if you are going to ask the date of the post I am referring to, I don't have it.

I just noticed something. I do agree with your politics and the second ammendment stance.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I remember a similar post where you mentioned that you have this habit of rubbing people the wrong way, and you were going to change. You have changed, but in the wrong direction. Here, are you looking for one of these........MEA CULPA. Sorry, if you are going to ask the date of the post I am referring to, I don't have it.
    I apologize. I'll keep trying.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I blocked you a few weeks ago - fairly abrasive in your posts often when I did the block. I often wondered how many new members to the group quickly left the group with the responses they received from yourself and a couple of other frequent posters. I guess the responses yesterday made you stop and think about some things when you got what you give to others. Who knows maybe this thread will make you kinder and gentler ... but maybe not.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by al0vely View Post
    I blocked you a few weeks ago - fairly abrasive in your posts often when I did the block. I often wondered how many new members to the group quickly left the group with the responses they received from yourself and a couple of other frequent posters. I guess the responses yesterday made you stop and think about some things when you got what you give to others. Who knows maybe this thread will make you kinder and gentler ... but maybe not.
    I wish I knew what specifically you found so offensive. Then, I could meaningfully address your concern. But, thanks anyway for your candor.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

You'll get nothing from me... live and let live and if you won't I'm down the road....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Unlike 99.99% of the members here------ I know Pete personally. Have ridden with him through the Sierras. Had lunch with him, his wife, and Pegasus. ( NO food dripping, fire breathing, lightning coming from the horns that are NOT on his head)

Pete is not on my "ignore" list ( as are some others here)

I don't think that a flaming is necessary at all. My V-Max has flames---- because it's just that fast.

Lew L
    I agree with you Lew!! After meeting Pete at the Nor-Cal Rally in 2017 and ryding with him over Ebbetts Pass, I got to know him and understand that he is a really decent fellow. He's even fun to be around! There are times when I think Pete seeks to "poke the bear" when it may not be necessary, but even that can be fun to read. I don't think he has a mean bone in his body. He just believes what he believes, and good for him on that note! Hope to see you soon Pete!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I've received quite a bit of criticism over the years. Some of it I understood and some I didn't think was justified. What is common with all those critical posts is that they clutter up otherwise useful threads by devolving into something off-topic.

So, I thought I'd start an off-topic thread where anyone feeling particularly upset by something I've posted can let me know that without taking the original thread off-topic.

I'm actually quite appreciative of critical feedback given in the spirit of kindness. Not so much with the nasty criticism, but I recognize that behind those reactions lies some possibly useful feedback about the way I am coming across to people.

So, I welcome your comments and, even if they are said in anger or frustration, I will try to respond respectfully. I am hoping this works and doesn't devolve into something the moderators will feel compelled to close. But, let's try it and see what happens.

Flame away.
    Pete, at one time it seemed to me that most of your posts were designed to be provocative (at best) or mean. If it had been just now and then, it wouldn't have bothered me. So I put you on my ignore list for a while. But I have since seen a marked improvement. I take this thread as a heartfelt wish to learn and change. Good for you.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Pete, at one time it seemed to me that most of your posts were designed to be provocative (at best) or mean. If it had been just now and then, it wouldn't have bothered me. So I put you on my ignore list for a while. But I have since seen a marked improvement. I take this thread as a heartfelt wish to learn and change. Good for you.
    Patti, I like that you noticed a change in the way I come across on this forum. I think I'm the same person underneath but I've made a concerted effort to be more restrained and less brittle with my communications and more aware of how it may be received by others.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Patti, I like that you noticed a change in the way I come across on this forum. I think I'm the same person underneath but I've made a concerted effort to be more restrained and less brittle with my communications and more aware of how it may be received by others.

Pete you tell this to Patti so you are aware of how abrasive your posts are, yet you act like you have no idea why it pisses me or anyone else off. Go back and read your old posts, especially the ones where new people to the forum ask questions and you bluntly tell them that they’ve posted in the wrong forum, asked a question that’s already been answered and you will see that you come off as a bully.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Pete you tell this to Patti so you are aware of how abrasive your posts are, yet you act like you have no idea why it pisses me or anyone else off. Go back and read your old posts, especially the ones where new people to the forum ask questions and you bluntly tell them that they’ve posted in the wrong forum, asked a question that’s already been answered and you will see that you come off as a bully.
    Ann, I can understand why you say that. So, am I forever going to be perceived that way?
    2014 RTL Platinum