Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default How to replace lock cylinder in RT-622 trailer?

I just bought a used trailer from a SL and they did provide me the printed instructions for replacing the lock cylinder but I can't find them.

Does anyone know where I can find them online?

Also, I'm not sure if the instructions explain how to remove the panels to gain access to the lock, but if not I'd like those also.

Thanks in advance.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I found this on another thread. Would still like to have written instructions if possible.

https://youtu.be/df6GC6dbo7M

I still don't know how to remove and replace that assembly...any help with this?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not sure if this thread helps any??

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-a-622-trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Not sure if this thread helps any??

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-a-622-trailer
    That is helpful. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

It may look and sound difficult but if you take your time, you'll be fine. I've done it three times and the key is not to lose the little ball bearing. Once to take the lock mechanism out, work on it at your table. You'll be fine.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    It may look and sound difficult but if you take your time, you'll be fine. I've done it three times and the key is not to lose the little ball bearing. Once to take the lock mechanism out, work on it at your table. You'll be fine.
    Got any tips on removing the inner panels on the trailer so I can get at the lock assembly to change it out?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I just bought a used trailer from a SL and they did provide me the printed instructions for replacing the lock cylinder but I can't find them.

Does anyone know where I can find them online?

Also, I'm not sure if the instructions explain how to remove the panels to gain access to the lock, but if not I'd like those also.

Thanks in advance.
    You should try the search feature here on Spyderlovers and if that does not help use Google.com.

Pretty certain this mimics advice you recommend to many others that ask question, so obviously you know it works.

On a serious note, itis not difficult to accomplish. About 30 minutes max including a break to rest.

Spyder Garage

Got any tips on removing the inner panels on the trailer so I can get at the lock assembly to change it out?
    The side carpet is secured with Velcro, roll it back to expose the ends of the plastic panels. The carpet on the floor just rolls back. The panels are just held on with torx screws and one overlaps the other one. Pay attention to where the holes are. Remember, the two screws on the lip (on either side of the lock) need to be removed, too. It really is pretty easy once you get into it.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    You should try the search feature here on Spyderlovers and if that does not help use Google.com.

Pretty certain this mimics advice you recommend to many others that ask question, so obviously you know it works.

On a serious note, itis not difficult to accomplish. About 30 minutes max including a break to rest.
    If you look at my original post you will see I was asking for a source for the printed instructions because none of my searches had been successful.
    2014 RTL Platinum

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Screws need to be removed.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

If you look at my original post you will see I was asking for a source for the printed instructions because none of my searches had been successful.
    If you consider my reply is merely a reflection of how you respond to others, you desreve very little from many here in regards to obtaining a quality response or anything more than go search yourself.

Having done this task myself in the past, what others kindly offered to you was in excess of what you need to know for this to be accomplished.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    If you consider my reply is merely a reflection of how you respond to others, you desreve very little from many here in regards to obtaining a quality response or anything more than go search yourself.

Having done this task myself in the past, what others kindly offered to you was in excess of what you need to know for this to be accomplished.
    Thank you.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I tore into this project and got the latch assembly removed and disassembled. But, lacking the key that goes with the existing lock, I am unable to remove the cylinder and replace it with the one that came with my bike. So, I paid a locksmith $20 to pick the lock, remove the cylinder and replace it with my keyed cylinder. Now, it works and I've reinstalled it and it locks and unlocks, latches and unlatches the front and back hatches just fine.

I'll post some pics and instructions a little later, including removing the interior body panel to access the latch assembly.

It takes a T-30 Torx screwdriver, a flat bladed screwdriver to remove the one plastic 'rivet' and a medium Philips. That's it for tools.
    2014 RTL Platinum