Thread: Off-roading

Spyder Garage

Default Off-roading

So, I don't have much to report other than the Ryker can easily hit 95 mph. I did that unintentionally yesterday when passing a truck. Was like, "Whoa Nelly!" Secondly, I actually did take the Rally off-road yesterday... in a pasture... riding 2-up! And, let me say, that was a blast. Had no issues getting around and we didn't take it easy on it... had a rooster tail of dirt flying up at one point. I did notice that a lot of crap ends up on top of the swing arm on the right side. But, other than my ground effect wiring getting some abuse from the straw jabbing it, it was no harm no foul. What an impressive machine! I still don't like the noise the drive train makes under initial acceleration (that secondary "pop" sound I mentioned in an earlier blog) but was told that is just they way it is. My Burgman never had that sound so I dunno. But other than that, fun, fun, fun!!
    2019 Rally , Black on black

Spyder Garage

I heard the same pop during my test drive on Saturday. Thanks to your heads up it did not disturb me. Oh, and as far as the "crap" on the swing arm I think you are supposed to drive around the piles in the pasture
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CTAC View Post
    I still don't like the noise the drive train makes under initial acceleration (that secondary "pop" sound I mentioned in an earlier blog) but was told that is just they way it is. My Burgman never had that sound so I dunno. But other than that, fun, fun, fun!!
    So I'm pretty sure that drive line noise is because the Ryker has reverse. The helix in the secondary clutch is cut differently because of reverse. Your Burgman didn't have reverse. The snowmobiles with reverse do the same thing.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I have test ridden 2 different Rykers and they both had that noise.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Research Red Line Shock Proof Gear Lube. I have used this before in my Ural gear box and final drive and IMO shifted smoother and quieter. I don't know much about the Ryker CVT to say if it would work in this situation. If some body has a service manual and could post a picture of the CVT innards we could check this out. cueman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    So I'm pretty sure that drive line noise is because the Ryker has reverse. The helix in the secondary clutch is cut differently because of reverse. Your Burgman didn't have reverse. The snowmobiles with reverse do the same thing.
    Maybe.

I haven't heard the noise but shaft drive motorcycles typically have a clunk when accelerating or decelerating, because of driveline lash, as it is called.

This is just a techo way of saying that there is some lost motion or free play or excessive clearance between the bevel gears in the final drive. As the slop takes up you get the noise.

It's not a problem.
    Aprilia Mana 850GT, 1988 BMW K75S, Piaggio MP3 400 (sold), Moto Guzzi Nevada 750 (modified), Puch (Sears Allstate SR175), 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    Research Red Line Shock Proof Gear Lube. I have used this before in my Ural gear box and final drive and IMO shifted smoother and quieter. I don't know much about the Ryker CVT to say if it would work in this situation. If some body has a service manual and could post a picture of the CVT innards we could check this out. cueman
    It's not in the CVT innards. They use a dry, belt drive to vary ratios.

On the output of the CVT is a reduction gearbox which drives the shaft to the rear wheel.

It's the final, right angle drive, the bevel drive at the rear wheel that is most likely the cause.
    Aprilia Mana 850GT, 1988 BMW K75S, Piaggio MP3 400 (sold), Moto Guzzi Nevada 750 (modified), Puch (Sears Allstate SR175), 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. When I said CVT I should have said gear box reduction. On the final drive the Red Line Shock Proof gear lube would be fine IMO. Popular in the performance car and race car business. The gear lube, as I understand it, has molaclues that dampen the gear to gear shock. I would still like to see some internal pics of the drive system. cueman

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CTAC View Post
    So, I don't have much to report other than the Ryker can easily hit 95 mph. I did that unintentionally yesterday when passing a truck. Was like, "Whoa Nelly!"
    Yes, they move. It is that power to weight ratio.
    BRP parts discount to all Spyderlovers members!

Free delivery for new Spyders to the lower 48!
    http://www.imotorsportsinc.com
    sales@imotorsportsinc.com

Spyder Garage

And to clarify.... The initial clunk is expected with shaft drive... But the secondary pop I hear/feel a moment later under acceleration is what has been unnerving. Just gotta get use to it is what I have been told. Be nice to know what makes that sound???
    2019 Rally , Black on black

Spyder Garage

Default Good to hear...

Glad your having fun and taking advantage of all the features of the ralley.... thanks for the review and braving it out into a pasture for a good test run....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black