Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Good Enclosed Trailer for RT

Good morning everyone.
    I know there are a few threads that discuss different things regarding trailers. I’ve searched and couldn’t find the info I’m looking for so I started this thread.
    I need an enclosed trailer to haul my ‘18 RT. I love Ultimate & IronHorse but they are really expensive ($10k+). I’ve heard to stay away from Diamond and I’ve heard mixed reviews on Haulmark. I believe 6’x12’ is good size for RT? I have 2 Haulmark dealers close to my home, anyone have one and do you like it? Seems like some people have problems w axle. I’ve been looking for used enclosed trailers since July, tons of Diamond for sale, not much else within driving distance. And yes, I know Spyders are meant to be ridden, not towed but when you live on Long Island, winter riding is hit or miss. Wanna head to Florida middle of February so clock is ticking.
    If anyone can recommend a good brand/style I’d appreciate it.
    Thank you.
    Jarred.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post
    Wanna head to Florida middle of February so clock is ticking.
    Coming down for the race at Daytona ??

When I was shopping for a bigger trailer, I ended up trading in my small trailer and the small RV I was pulling it with for a Class A toy hauler.
    But that cost me a bit more than 10K.

P.S. If there are bad reports out there on Diamond, get the details about the failures and inspect used ones for those specific things.
    Chances are that the ALL don't have the reported problems......or that they have maybe already been fixed.

Spyder Garage

Not all close, not sure what is avalable

https://www.smartcycleguide.com/iron...ycles-for-sale
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

I purchased a Forest River in 2002 and very happy with it.I special ordered it so got what I wanted. It is 8X12 with wedge nose, The extra width and wedge nose gives you lots of room for getting around when loaded and extra storage for cloths rack etc. I got the tandem axles and torsion suspension which lowers trailer for easier loading and less bounce. The tandem gives me a little more piece of mind as I have had two flats and could still carry on to a safe location to change tires (have the under floor spare tire compartment) Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Spyder Garage

search got a few
    one from yesterday https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ilering+spyder
    one from 06/27/18 https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ilering+spyder
    and this https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ilering+spyder

there are more
    lots of good trailering info

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

I have a Haulmark 14x 7 with twin axels. I have not had it long but it seems to work just fine. I paid under $5000 for it new.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

We haul ours in an Aluma 6X12 V nose back forth from SD to AZ for the Winter. i like all aluminum trailers because the steel frame and aluminum side ones I've seen all suffer from corrosion where the 2 metals meet.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

We have a 7 1/2'x12' Cargo Pro v-nose all aluminum, with twin axles and love it! There's even room inside our Mini trailer along with our RT. Paid about $7000
    Nate and Lori

2021 Spyder RT Limited--Deep Marsala Red--Chrome Edition

[/B]​Nelson-Rigg half cover, Hopnel side bags and trunk liner bags, , Driver's Backrest, BRP Trailer hitch and control module, 131 DB horn from TricLED, "Shadow" trailer from Mini Trailer USA,

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The biggest problem you're going to run into is the fact there are dozens, if not hundreds, of trailer manufacturers around the US. Some, like Haulmark, distribute nationally but most are regional. So a trailer that someone recommends but lives in Colorado and bought their trailer there may not be available anywhere near you. Components like axles and brakes and lights will be common across many trailer brands. And manufacturers may change suppliers at any time. So comments about those parts may not be reliable. Open utility trailers can be examined closely since everything is pretty much open and you can make a judgement about workmanship. Tougher with enclosed trailers, especially the box frame.

Your best bet is to examine a trailer very closely that is regionally made, and search reviews of trailers sold nationally. This site lists trailer manufacturers around the country. https://www.trailersusa.com/manufact...=cargo+trailer If someone recommends a particular brand see where it's made. You may not be able to get it even if it's a super trailer. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you asked 100 people what brand of trailer they own 60 of them would own a brand no one else has. Good luck.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good morning everyone.
    I know there are a few threads that discuss different things regarding trailers. I’ve searched and couldn’t find the info I’m looking for so I started this thread.
    I need an enclosed trailer to haul my ‘18 RT. I love Ultimate & IronHorse but they are really expensive ($10k+).
    Thank you.
    Jarred.
    Have you called IronHorse to inquire about what used trailers they have in stock??? I got a used(2012) Wide Body set up for my RT Ltd for way less than $10K, two years ago. I'm 6'2" tall and 200 lbs. I appreciate the extra room in the WB to be able to move around the trike.
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Cargo mate

I have a cargomate. 6 1/2 x 10. Semi-custom I guess, but they made it for me pretty quickly. I hopped across the border to Indiana, paid $2395 and then paid the sales tax in Illinois. Is this the most heavy duty trailer out there, of course not, but I'm not using it for business every day so who cares. I do use it as the garage for the spyder so it sits in the trailer when not in use and I only trailer it across country a few times a year. It is the perfect size. Exellent price as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I currently haul with a light weight, all aluminum, open trailer. I appreciate why some folks prefer closed trailers (security, protection from bad weather), and also use them for storage (greater usage beyond hauling). For me, hauling my Spyder usually occurs only a few times a year - long trips from Canada to Florida lasting a few days; or perhaps for service, etc. I don't need additional covered storage. So, given the infrequent use, and that I try to plan trips with an eye, in advance, on the weather, I have found the light open trailer to be sufficient and economical for such needs. I have used a BRP 'trailering' cover, but now prefer not to; we go 'naked'. The Spyder arrives with a bit of road dust, but soon cleans up, none the worse for the trip. We have survived torrential rains with no long-lasting adverse effects.

I have owned several enclosed cargo trailers in past. For your needs, a single 3,500# axle should suffice - a drop axle will give a better ride and make for easier loading. Make sure you get a good axle, and keep the wheel hubs lubricated. Make sure you get one with a good, sturdy, properly constructed and welded frame with solid draw bar and hitch. Use a setup that keeps your trailer/vehicle level. Use the proper size ball/hitch, good safety chains and secure electrical connections. Helps to carry spare fuses/bulbs if you have an older rig. Take along some electrical tape in case you have to repair a wire. Buy a spare wheel/tire if not already equipped. Make sure your vehicle lug wrench also fits the trailer wheel lugs, and that any vehicle jack is also capable of lifting trailer, in case of having to change a flat.

When you inspect/check over the enclosed trailer (new or used), have a good look-see at how the walls and roof are constructed. Most walls of enclosed trailers are very thin, even flimsily put together, to save weight. Some have very thin interior sidewalls over very light tubing and thin metal sides. Trailer walls can be insecure if you are thinking of 'tie-ing off' interior cargo. Some have sidewall tubing on 24" centers, some are 16" o/c. Makes for a difference in strength. Are exterior panels screwed or riveted? Is roof flat, or rounded? Makes a difference in how rain or snow will run off or perhaps leak through. Are all roof panel joints well sealed?

Check things over as best you can; look for potential problems before you commit. Price is one issue. Taking over someone else's 'problem' and making it yours, is another.

Good luck.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

I’ve got a Neo brand 7x16 aluminum v-nose enclosed. Big enough to fit Rts and 622 trailer for when we retire and hit the road. The plan is this will go behind our motorhome, that we haven’t gotten yet, and will be our garage while on the road.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Have you called IronHorse to inquire about what used trailers they have in stock??? I got a used(2012) Wide Body set up for my RT Ltd for way less than $10K, two years ago. I'm 6'2" tall and 200 lbs. I appreciate the extra room in the WB to be able to move around the trike.
    Mike
    I will try calling IronHorse, I emailed them asking about used inventory but they just sent me an email w a price on 2019’s. Calling may work better. Thank you.
    And thanks to everyone who took the time to give me advice, I really do appreciate it!

Spyder Garage

I use a 7 x 14 V-Nose dual axles for our 2015 RT....A 6 foot wide may not work...try before you buy!!! I got my trailer new for $3200 with 4 d-rings and two outside feet so I can load without having it hooked to the truck. We have had ours for three years...no issues...

Pro-Line® Trailers
    74 Taylors Road
    Boones Mill, VA 24065

Spyder Garage

Their near Smith Mtn Lake...south east of Roanoke.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Genradman View Post
    I use a 7 x 14 V-Nose dual axles for our 2015 RT....A 6 foot wide may not work...try before you buy!!! I got my trailer new for $3200 with 4 d-rings and two outside feet so I can load without having it hooked to the truck. We have had ours for three years...no issues...

Pro-Line® Trailers
    74 Taylors Road
    Boones Mill, VA 24065
    that's a good deal. My Continental Cargo 6 x 12 was that much.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I've got over 12,000 miles on my Haulmark and have no problems. I took it out to the Rockies last year and it pulled like a dream. Well built trailer.
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Front Bumper (Black)
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayD View Post
    I've got over 12,000 miles on my Haulmark and have no problems. I took it out to the Rockies last year and it pulled like a dream. Well built trailer.
    JayD, what size Haulmark do u have? I have 2 Haulmark dealers very close to me, think I’ll call them today to find out prices. I know they have 2 cargo in stock, single & double axle. And did u get the motorcycle version or regular cargo and added your own wheel chocks & tiedowns? And the big question, if I don’t mind sharing price. In NY, some people try to take advantage of those who didn’t do tons of homework before buying. Wanna avoid that. Thank u very much.

Spyder Garage

I've go an 8 x 16 with two foot v nose. For one RT you wouldn't need anything bigger than 7 x 14.
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Spyder Garage

I got the cargo verison. Fuel axles. Don't need duel axel. I use d rings for time down. Mine new cost $5,800.
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayD View Post
    I got the cargo verison. Fuel axles. Don't need duel axel. I use d rings for time down. Mine new cost $5,800.
    Thank you, guessing u got the 6x12. They have that in stock, I’ll call them today. Thanks a lot Jay!

Spyder Garage

I called my local Haulmark Dealer. Here’s what he told me, they make 2 cargo models.
    Transport: that’s the top of the line, he said I don’t need that if only using for Spyder transport (contractors buy Transport)
    7x14=$5,800
    6x12=$4,100
    Passport (white ones). He told me to get this one:
    7x14=$4,700
    6x12=$3,600.
    He said if I ride my Spyder there we can try both sizes out, but it’s gonna be in 20’s for the next week. 7x14 would be nice but after reading this forum, I believe 6x12 will fit my RT. They are V-nose so that adds some space. Of course they only have Transports in stock cause Passports sell out quickly, told me 1-2 weeks to get it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In addition to length and width, also consider HEIGHT.
    It is a real plus if you can ride it in without whacking your head on the roof.
    Because it can be a REAL minus if that happens.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    In addition to length and width, also consider HEIGHT.
    It is a real plus if you can ride it in without whacking your head on the roof.
    Because it can be a REAL minus if that happens.
    LOL!

That’s a great point ER. The 6x12 I’m looking at has a 6’ interior height. I’m 5’11.5” so guessing I’ll have to bend a bit. I’m also considering the 7x14, that one is $4,700 ($3,600 for 6x12) but both have same interior height. I’m just hoping to drive to Florida during the kids “winter recess” break (middle of February). Airfare is just crazy during those school breaks. Plus my RC was founded in Central Florida so I’d like to meet up w them for a ride.
    I really appreciate everyone’s help, tons of great info/advice. Speaking of that... has anyone bought the “Black & Gray” Spyder Transport Kit? $515 for everything except rear wheel chock. Just thought I’d ask.
    Thanks again
    Jarred.