Spyder Garage

Default Freedom trailer color match

I want to add some color to my black Freedom trailer that will match the champaign color of my '18 RTL. The Can-am accessory catalog has some nice stripe kits, but not in champaign (or whatever the official color name is). Ive had a nice email exchange with Pete at Wrap My Spyder, and I think he found a color that comes close to being a match, but first I am looking for some ideas from those of you who may have done the same thing with your champaign Spyder. I'm not looking for a complete respray or wrap, just some tasteful pin striping or panels that flow with the lines of the trailer. Whatever I do though, I want a darned close color match. Pictures of your trailers would sure help with design ideas too.

Thanks,
    Mick

Spyder Garage

I have a Pearl White RTLimited and had my Freedom trailer partially wrapped by a local installer. I did a pearl white top and down to the break on the sides and left the rest black to coordinate with the bikes layout. I am really pleased with the outcome.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

In the past I have found paint that is so close to EXACT match people are astonished to learn they are Auto supply store Spray cans …. like " Cognac " and " Pearl white " ….. The most critical match is one that is on or in the bikes color area, ie. spot painting and most Pro shops won't even attempt those using FACTORY paint, what they will do is paint an ENTIRE panel, as long as there is a break between the surfaces...… If what you are painting is your trailer, an EXACT match isn't necessary " very close " is fine...… Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when I had a " champagne " Gold Wing, I painted two helmets to match with spray paint from the Auto store....I got lots of compliments for my paint color choice ……. I'm pretty sure BRP official colors are available - however it will cost you way more than what you find at the Auto store...…….. PS I actually spot painted my " Pearl white " 2014 RT, and people can't tell where I did it, until they notice that my OEM antennae is gone ...……… Happy New Year ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I'd like to see a picture.

Spyder Garage

I may pull a panel and go to the auto parts store to check out their spray can colors. I think you are right about a close match. The trailer is far enough back from the bike that no one would ever notice the difference.

Spyder Garage

Local guy has a champagne RT series. Looks very nice, but does need a touch of pinstripes.

As for the trailer, done right, painted to match would add visibility and if getting pinstripes vs wraps, and I believe small proper color design pinstripes are best on that color, the trailer could get matching stripes to complete the entire package.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by amkrat View Post
    I'd like to see a picture.
    amkrat, if this question was addressed to me …. The helmets & Gold Wing are long gone …. If you want to see a pic of the " Cognac " look at anything posted by " Deanna777 ", her dashboard is in all hers posts …. I painted it ………… Mike

Spyder Garage

It was meant for RidinOn3. I'd like to see what his trailer looks like.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the pics. The trailer looks great! I can see me doing the same thing. By the way, my wife and I spent some time on our RTL(with trailer or course) in your great state this past summer. Roswell (I'm now a believer), Taos (the Enchanted Circle ride was exceptional with the Viet Nam Veterans memorial), Chama (rode the Cumbres and Toltec train). We'll be back. Much more to see!

Mick

Spyder Garage

I haven't decided on what to do with the wheels. I've had no luck finding matching chrome (not even BRP). May try some aftermarket aluminum spokes or I'm considering stripping the paint off the high spots and clear coating for a two tone. The state of New Mexico has a lot to offer when you get out and explore.

Spyder Garage

The black wheels need some flash. Too bad they are 4 bolt lugs, and not 3 like the RT. I would like to see if the chrome Spyder wheels would fit. Wrap My Spyder has a wrap template for the Spyder wheel but not for the Freedom trailer unfortunately. Planning on Albuquerque and the balloon fest next October!

Spyder Garage

I've been to the Albuquerque Balloon Festival, it will definitely be a worthwhile experience.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RidinOn3 View Post
    I've been to the Albuquerque Balloon Festival, it will definitely be a worthwhile experience.
    removed
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Regarding the wheels, if you can find the proper style, which I believe you already have, there is a powder coat color, possibly the same as on your fronts, that looks like chrome. Your wheels could have tne tires removed and be refinished.

As an alternate, possibly you could be money ahead or break even to swap those black wheels, which people want so they can match thier RTS and trailer like you are trying to do, then get the silver wheels with the same style. A wheels swap plus money may get you chrome wheels at about break even, not counting your time.

Spyder Garage

UtahPete, I was replying to Amkrat's post. The reason these posts get off track is when people as yourself don't keep their opinions to their self and start ranting about things of no meaning and nit picking every detail of a post.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RidinOn3 View Post
    UtahPete, I was replying to Amkrat's post. The reason these posts get off track is when people as yourself don't keep their opinions to their self and start ranting about things of no meaning and nit picking every detail of a post.
    You're right. Sorry.
    2014 RTL Platinum