Spyder Garage

Default Any RiderCoaches here?

I'm looking at applying for a spot with the local RiderEd and looking for feedback...how you got into it, training provided to you, how you like it, how much work goes into a weekend class, etc.
    Not necessarily just for Spyder...

Feel free to pm...
    Thanks,
    Rap
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Bump...
    Anybody?
    Raprider (Rich)

BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher

Spyder Garage

I'm not too sure that my experience with Aussie Driver/Rider training will help you all that much, except to say that while it does take a little time & effort it has been a really great experience, even from the trainer end, & I've been a little surprised at how much I continue to learn from each & every course I run.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I taught hundreds of people before I became a rider coach. The training / license process takes 10 days in Nevada. The first thing you do is the test. I was lucky enough that my boss let me take it as a student, and another private business let me do it, too. I had not done a course for over 10 years, so it was good to do. Sure enough, the first day was the test, and we promptly lost more than half! Know the book cold. Know the RCG cold. Read the cards! Like any school, the teacher is always right. Once you get through it, and you get your license, teaching is incredibly rewarding. I teach hundreds of students a year, and the MSF system works great! I’m also active with the Spyderryder group, the American Legion riders, own a Spyder business, and have lots of clients. So my ear is to the ground. We go to bike nights, poker runs, charity events, ride ins, and travel extensively. Putting miles on builds credibility. Your students respect skill, mileages and knowledge. Be able to demonstrate every exercise perfectly. Know as much as you can about everything Motorcycle. The new models, the trends, what is popular, what shops are good, bad, terrible and fantastic. Our school has classes 7 days a week, on 3 campuses. I work weekdays, as rallies are typically on weekends. Monday evening, Tuesday and Wednesday, or Wednesday evening, Thursday and Friday. You will walk miles each class, and standing 10 hours on concrete is painful. I have the luxury of Las Vegas Summer: 115 to 120 degrees. I drink 20 pounds of water a day! Yet, most days I lose weight! Fun in our winters, as it is chilly in the morning, then nice. Love the winter! Any questions, call me. My number is in my signature. Good luck! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I'm not too sure that my experience with Aussie Driver/Rider training will help you all that much, except to say that while it does take a little time & effort it has been a really great experience, even from the trainer end, & I've been a little surprised at how much I continue to learn from each & every course I run.
    Thanks, Peter!
    I will keep you in mind if and when I find myself back in Cammeray Bay
    Raprider (Rich)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    I taught hundreds of people before I became a rider coach. The training / license process takes 10 days in Nevada. The first thing you do is the test. I was lucky enough that my boss let me take it as a student, and another private business let me do it, too. I had not done a course for over 10 years, so it was good to do. Sure enough, the first day was the test, and we promptly lost more than half! Know the book cold. Know the RCG cold. Read the cards! Like any school, the teacher is always right. Once you get through it, and you get your license, teaching is incredibly rewarding. I teach hundreds of students a year, and the MSF system works great! I’m also active with the Spyderryder group, the American Legion riders, own a Spyder business, and have lots of clients. So my ear is to the ground. We go to bike nights, poker runs, charity events, ride ins, and travel extensively. Putting miles on builds credibility. Your students respect skill, mileages and knowledge. Be able to demonstrate every exercise perfectly. Know as much as you can about everything Motorcycle. The new models, the trends, what is popular, what shops are good, bad, terrible and fantastic. Our school has classes 7 days a week, on 3 campuses. I work weekdays, as rallies are typically on weekends. Monday evening, Tuesday and Wednesday, or Wednesday evening, Thursday and Friday. You will walk miles each class, and standing 10 hours on concrete is painful. I have the luxury of Las Vegas Summer: 115 to 120 degrees. I drink 20 pounds of water a day! Yet, most days I lose weight! Fun in our winters, as it is chilly in the morning, then nice. Love the winter! Any questions, call me. My number is in my signature. Good luck! Joe
    Joe!
    Thanks for ALL of this feedback...as much as I'd expected and more.
    I believe the NJ trainer course is 8 days.
    To my knowledge, I've only seen weekend (Fri/Sat/Sun or Sat/Sun) student training classes.
    Do you happen to know how "transferable" it is to become a coach in one state and then another? Just thinking ahead (my dad lives in Summerlin).
    As my application works its way thru the process, I will be in touch directly!

Rap
    Raprider (Rich)

Spyder Garage

MSF coaches transfer in or out, so once you have your coaching number, you can transfer. Try to take the course as a student before. Give me a call if you have questions. Good Luck! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Hello fellow Spyderlovers...

I wanted to share my good news...
    Yesterday, I became an MSF-certified RiderCoach, via RiderEd of NJ

I had to take the BRC (beginner rider course) as a student about a month ago, and then had an intensive 9-day training class from last Saturday thru this past weekend, culminating with myself and 6 other trainees conducting a BRC class, with the Trainers overseeing.

I can't deny that I think my class of 7 new Coaches were as excited as the 9 new Riders (out of 12 students) that passed our class, with not a single "incident" all weekend.

I have to schedule a "mentoring" session with 2 experienced coaches before I can begin to sign up for available classes, but our season runs till end of October, so I should be able to get quite a few in before then.

I have to wait at least one season before I can be considered eligible to become 3-wheel certified, which is an eventual goal, but for now, I'm pretty darned excited to begin my new "retirement career".

See y'all on the road!
    Raprider (Rich)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Awesome!! Glad you are taking the time to teach others.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I took the MSF course in 2016, I had two really fantastic instructors who had a wealth of knowledge they were more than willing to share. They were friendly but commanding when needed and the whole class had a great time while learning valuable skills. The most surprising part of the course? The instructors were both women! And they knew their stuff!

Congratulations and a big thanks for helping those of us with less experience have a chance to learn from the pros!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

"Congrats" from a fellow RiderCoach (13yrs).
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light