Spyder Garage

Default Trailering a Spyder RT

My wife and I purchased a 2018 Spyder RT in December. We are loving riding it in Florida, but will need to trailer it up to North Carolina in the summer. I have a 6 X 12 foot utility trailer that it will fit on, but I don't think the 4 foot long ramp/tailgate will work. Does anyone here have experience with this issue? I am thinking maybe a 6 foo ramp, or separate aluminum ramps of longer length. Thanks in advance for any info. I love learning from others with experience.

Spyder Garage

Congratulations on the RT! I have the same question so I’ll be following this thread. But I need it to travel from cold NY to sunny Florida. Lol. I’m looking at a Haulmark now, heard bad things about Diamond, but also read some bad reviews on Haulmark axles. What brand trailer do u own? I really want a used IronHorse but I’ve been looking since July w no luck.
    Good luck, I’m sure someone here will be able to help you.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your "Christmas Present"!
    If you can scare up a couple of 6 foot ramps: they should work fine in conjunction with the tailgate.
    They'll pick your front wheels up early, and reduce the changes of dragging your bike's nose...
    The tailgate should be fine for getting the rear wheels up and into the trailer.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you are brave you could unhitch the trailer and use a block or jack to raise the tongue and a chain to keep it from going higher. Ride the Spyder up on it stopping right at the balance point. Hitch the trailer and then run the Spyder on forward to get good weight distribution. Just take it easy and you'll be OK. I've loaded an ATV this way!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Clayvis View Post
    My wife and I purchased a 2018 Spyder RT in December. We are loving riding it in Florida, but will need to trailer it up to North Carolina in the summer. I have a 6 X 12 foot utility trailer that it will fit on, but I don't think the 4 foot long ramp/tailgate will work. Does anyone here have experience with this issue? I am thinking maybe a 6 foo ramp, or separate aluminum ramps of longer length. Thanks in advance for any info. I love learning from others with experience.
    How do you know? Have you tried it? 2 things you can do; 1) lift the nose of the trailer up so the 4' ramp will work 2) use 6' ramps mounted 2/3 the way up the tailgate so there's less of an angle to the ramp(s)
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Don't walk away from Diamond trailers, run!Run fast and run far!After 2yrs and less than 1000mi I had to replace all lights because it got so rusty ground was lost.Lights were wrecked removing from being so rusted.Tires needed to be replaced during same time frame due to severe checking on both sides!No way 2yrs parked in the shade when not used caused that.3yr now and paint is bubbling off.Looks to me like they paint without ANY prep!I use 2- 4' 2x10s.Stop bike so nose is about 2' from ramp and lay out ramps, drive up!This is with a Triton enclosed double sled trailer.I don't know of any rig that has a long enough ramp for an RT to drive right up.Happy travels!

Spyder Garage

I use the razor http://razortrailers.com/ ride on and off. very easy, pulls great! Highly recommend them.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Others have covered most of your issues ….. However ALUMINUM ramps are going to cost you a fortune …. just get some 2X8 pressure treated planks or Fir if you can find it ….. I'll address two other things - if you screw down TWO 10Ft 2x4's in the trailer the Spyder will follow where you screw them down, and NO where else ….. I ( and many others here ) use one or more heavy duty RACHET STRAPS placed over and in-line with one or more tires … Very High end Car transporter's use this method to secure expensive cars in their trailers …. nothing touches any paint or breakable parts of your Spyder , plus it's a super fast way to do it ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

We use a 78" x 10' Aluma trailer with a bi-fold door and two 2' x 6' boards. This works very well.
    2015 RT LTD , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A picture would help. Also, what is the deck height of the trailer - that matters a great deal.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I made three ramps out of 2x12's and 2x8's. The front wheel ramps are 32 inches long and the center ramp is 26 inches long. All three are about 8-9 inches tall and held together with deck screws. The center ramp has a slot on it so the ramp edge locks into it so the rear wheel can't kick it out when you go up the ramp. The other two are placed under the front wheel locations and hold their positions without any trouble. When loaded, you can either throw them the back of your truck or place them on the trailer deck strapped in place so they do not become unplanned projectiles.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Separate ramps is an option that Ive used. ANother option is look for a driveway with a steeper transition to the street and park so the trailer tires are in the lowest spot. In combination with either, you can also put a couple pieces of 2x6 under the very edge of the ramp...and you can also keep the trailer hooked up and then raise the tongue jack up to help reduce the angle
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

How about placing oil change ramps under rear tires of truck and driving up on them, while trailer is still attached, thus lowering the rear of the trailer. It should make the rear of trailer low enough to use whatever length ramps to make loading the Spyder easier. The shorter the trailer, the more the effect. I have a 4' x 8' trailer and I'm considering making the rear of it wide enough to accommodate the Spyder's width and loading it backwards. Might hafta remove the windscreen though.
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    I have a 4' x 8' trailer and I'm considering making the rear of it wide enough to accommodate the Spyder's width and loading it backwards. Might hafta remove the windscreen though.
    Or do like I did! Pretty much what you're considering. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...o-carry-Spyder

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I have been trailering my Spyders for years. I have a 5 1/2' X 10' aluminum trailer from Tractor Supply with the stock endgate. Don't know the exact length(height) but no issues to load my Spyder... Just drive the Spyder on to the bolted down wheel chocks, strap down and away we go. absolutely no issues with many thousands of miles....
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the information! The trailer I bought is a Triple Crown. They are made in the USA (in Ocala Florida I believe).
    The deck height is about 30 inches I believe (will measure later) It is a 6 X 12. Now I have many good ideas to run with. I like the idea of using wood planks...aluminum is super expensive...

My neighbor had a Spyder that he tried to load onto a utility trailer with a 4 foot ramp. As he went up, the back wheel lifted up and he lost traction. It was not pretty. I am trying to avoid that situation!

Spyder Garage

A regular coating of Aerospace 303 will protect those tires from the damage caused by UV. I have a 6 X 12 dove tail with a 32 inch ramp and have no problem loading my 2011 RT. The dove tail adds another 24 inches to the incline.

Spyder Garage

UPDATE! Scored these from a local NAPA store on clearance. Half Price! They were $30 a pop plus tax, so under $100 for all three! Woo Hoo! no more loading worries.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Nice ramps - I need some of those.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I use an Aluma 6810 tilt bed and put an aluminum angle stop for front wheels. It is awesome. Haven’t figured out how to post pictures on here!
    Replaced my Lamonster Certified RT Limited #1874 With a 2018 RTL.

Spyder Garage

I have a 7 x 14 Haulmark that we haul our Spyder with. In fact I hauled it to the Yuma ride in with it. I added a 10" by full width ramp to aid in the transition from ground to door/ramp and that makes it so I don't have jump the edge. I attached it using 3 large hinges so it folds against the trailer back door. It climbs the door/ramp just fine and does not scrape going over the edge. I have marine grade eye bolts #8 thru the lower front shock mounts and the tie down hooks go thru those in the front. I wrap a tie down around the trailer hitch on the Spyder and pull that to keep the tension on the front. Stays solid and does not move.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I have a 5 1/2 X 10 foot aluminum trailer from Tractor Supply that I have toted my Spdyer on for thousands of miles with no issues. I just merely drop the standard endgate and drive my Spyder on to my wheel chocks, strap it down, close the gate and off we go.
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by al0vely View Post
    Nice ramps - I need some of those.
    Thanks! Used the ramps this past weekend. They worked like a charm....Just glad I found them at a reasonable price...

Spyder Garage

We've made a single sheet of plywood version of one of these that folds onto the stock ramp for travel.
    Sounds kinda like Pegasus did, though we made it a 2ft extension full width of the stock ramp, used the
    remainder of the sheet to double up at the hinge line to support the ramp all the way wide.
    ExtensionRamp-Bumper_Open.jpg
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020