Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Passenger seat not fitting properly (MY2018)

Hi.

Passenger seat seems to be misplaced since day one (MY2018)

First I thought it may needed some kind of settling, but I frequently ride 2 up and after 6000km (3800mi) it's exactly the same.

Seat is securely locked and can't be removed without unlocking.

Noticed that a small spring (not the spring from the locking mechanism) just right next to the passenger switch has been added for MY2018 (maybe because of the recall about the passenger switch).

Don't think it's because of that, I've removed the spring to check and the fitting is about the same...

Anyone with a MY2018 or + noticed this?

Thank you.
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black Satin

Spyder Garage

We have a 2018 also and noticed the same thing. Just assumed that's the way it is. We have the BRP drivers backrest on ours and it's worse with it installed. Better when removed but still an issue.
    2018 F3S , Black

Spyder Garage

i just got my 2018 f3 s about a month ago and am not happy with the way the back seat fits on mine either. honestly for the price of this thing the fit and finish should be a lot better. i just put in fog lights,which should be on every one they sell but whatever. Not the long side fairings but the short pieces at the back of the side fairing have a plastic pushpin holding it to the frame. both sides the clips fell out when i took the long fairings off. the center of the pushpins was driven in sideways. i ended up zip-tying them in place. regardless i do love the spyder and am happy with it but quality control is not what it should be.
    2018 f3-S , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MakoShark2 View Post
    Hi.

First I thought it may needed some kind of settling, but I frequently ride 2 up and after 6000km (3800mi) it's exactly the same.

Noticed that a small spring (not the spring from the locking mechanism) just right next to the passenger switch has been added for MY2018 (maybe because of the recall about the passenger switch).

Don't think it's because of that, I've removed the spring to check and the fitting is about the same...

Thank you.
    Hello MakoShark2,

We are sorry to hear about the concerns you had with your seat. We would like to look into this with you. Please send us an email to brp.care@brp.com or give us a call at 1-888-272-9222. Kindly provide us with your VIN and phone number. Don't forget to mention that link and provide us with your account name as well.

We look forward to hearing from you!
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hello MakoShark2,

We are sorry to hear about the concerns you had with your seat. We would like to look into this with you. Please send us an email to brp.care@brp.com or give us a call at 1-888-272-9222. Kindly provide us with your VIN and phone number. Don't forget to mention that link and provide us with your account name as well.

Now this is customer service. Thank you BRPcare

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaisy207 View Post
    i just got my 2018 f3 s about a month ago and am not happy with the way the back seat fits on mine either. honestly for the price of this thing the fit and finish should be a lot better. i just put in fog lights,which should be on every one they sell but whatever. Not the long side fairings but the short pieces at the back of the side fairing have a plastic pushpin holding it to the frame. both sides the clips fell out when i took the long fairings off. the center of the pushpins was driven in sideways. i ended up zip-tying them in place. regardless i do love the spyder and am happy with it but quality control is not what it should be.
    Just one more in the very LOOOOONG line of customers who didn't get what they paid for in this captive market.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaspeed View Post
    Now this is customer service. Thank you BRPcare

I wonder what the others have to do to get satisfaction? Doesn't matter because QC obviously doesn't happen as there are lots of folks willing to pay top $ for poor quality.

Spyder Garage

Hello BRP care...
    Would this offer apply to ours too (see above post)? We will be taking it in for its first service soon, within a few months anyway and will most likely get "they're all like that" when I mention it to the dealer. Other than a poor connection at the left headlamp that I fixed myself (easier than having the dealership tell me there was nothing wrong with an intermittent concern) the bike has been great. Same issue, fits very poorly, appears to be designed that way...
    2018 F3S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    I wonder what the others have to do to get satisfaction? Doesn't matter because QC obviously doesn't happen as there are lots of folks willing to top $ for poor quality.

I do not have a Spyder but have been looking at a Ryker or Spyder F3T to purchase in the next few weeks. I thought BRPcare responded on this subject very fast that's why I said what I did. If the quality is as bad as some of you say I need to look at a different brand. I'm not meaning to be a smart a-- it's just that I'm not willing to spend my hard earned money for poor quality. Thanks

Spyder Garage

It's not just quality you need to research, it's reliability and service/repair backup.

Spyder Garage

Hello MakoShark2,

@BRPcare

Will do, thank you for your concern.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frj322 View Post
    Hello BRP care...
    Would this offer apply to ours too (see above post)? We will be taking it in for its first service soon, within a few months anyway and will most likely get "they're all like that" when I mention it to the dealer. Other than a poor connection at the left headlamp that I fixed myself (easier than having the dealership tell me there was nothing wrong with an intermittent concern) the bike has been great. Same issue, fits very poorly, appears to be designed that way...
    I would encourage you to do so (and others who have noticed it). The more the reports, the easier it should be to track the issue and have a fix for this.

Not sure but having the passenger switch right bellow, could be a security matter.

Spyder Garage

At least this issue doesn't leave the rider stranded, which is a novel development.

Spyder Garage

i do enjoy the spyder. ive been riding all my life and the spyder is a different and fun experience. i worked for about 8 years as a 3rd party automotive quality control engineer. i feel can am my need to contract out a second set of eyes in there QC. i was torn between the spyder f3 or get a ryker. if the ryker is a lower cost ride at the expense of quality,and corners cut below the f3 then i would be concerned about reliability and safety. again, i love the f3 but price does not match the quality you would see out of say a bmw or ducati or any other bike really aside from harley maybe.
    2018 f3-S , black

Spyder Garage

Spyder is not cheap at all, everyone would agree with that... But then again quite an exclusive and unique vehicle in it's kind and I guess this reflects in the price tag and that's what we are all paying for.

I've previously own several japanese and european bikes and all had design flaws... In terms of quality, materials and finishes I really do not feel that the Spyder is below all the others. That's my feeling.

Now reliability is another thing. Can't say much about this as I do not have yet many miles loaded on the Spyder. So time will tell.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frj322 View Post
    Hello BRP care...
    Hey frj322,

You can wait for your first service if you wish. We recommend you to talk about it with your dealership and to contact us as well if you want us to look into this concern with you. Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any more questions.

Regards.
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Plus 1.
    My 15 f3s is ok (not perfect, but ok) but husband’s Daytona is shocking.
    Have thoroughly compared and investigated and adjusted every which way, with no improvement.
    Really lets down the look of the machine.
    Dealer adjustments no help either.

Interesting that it is so different between our two machines.

Any clues on a home based diy fix?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    Plus 1.
    My 15 f3s is ok (not perfect, but ok) but husband’s Daytona is shocking.
    Have thoroughly compared and investigated and adjusted every which way, with no improvement.
    If you swap the seats bike-to-bike does the issue move with the seat? Or, is it the frame/fitting on the back of the bike?
    Marilyn 2015 RTS SE6 Red
    John 2015 F3S SE6 Silver

previous:
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good question, haven’t done it as seat stitching is red on one, yellow on other. I now have the Daytona monocowl on my bike, suitably repainted red, and it took a bit of adjustment to get it to fit right. Will try swapping seats and let you know, good thinking...

Spyder Garage

Well I finally found the fix... Actually it was not me a member of the Spyder french fb group who pointed me to the solution.

Seems it's was a lack of factory adjustment of the locking "peg" (not sure if that's the correct name in english).

Mine needed to go a little bit further so the seat fits right... To do this I needed to take the "peg" off (just unscrew) to adjust the nut and lock nut who set the height.
    You can't go too much or you'll activate the passenger switch permanently. Seems that the correct height is about 30mm (1.18 in) from the plate to the larger part on the extremity of the "peg".

credits go to "Odoorn Pluchez".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, we have tried this... no luck... may retry but really over it...

Spyder Garage

The seat will usually sit flat with a pillion aboard. The spring loaded switch activates the braking etc to compensate for the extra weight. You'll be the only one who notices it sitting proud. Its not that obvious to most people. Either give yourself an ulcer thinking about it or just move on and worry about real issues.

Spyder Garage

It obvious to all when the trike is parked.

Spyder Garage

I have the same issue, just bought last week. My dealership said that this is the way it is. Bad answer..My grandkid was going to ride with me, this worries me for safety reasons. I expect more from BRP, have been with them from 2008 Spyder, thought all the bugs were out, just see one big one with the seat.
    UGH
    Quote Originally Posted by MakoShark2 View Post
    Hi.

Thank you.

Spyder Garage

Called BRP for mine as well. I had my dealership look at it as well, they say "that is the way it is". Calling BRP was a waste, they say it has to be at the dealership to look at. Seems to be a big circle. I smell lawsuit if my grandkid falls off. I am an original PE member of Spyder since 2008, love the product, thought all the problems were worked out, this is why I just bought the F3 Sport last week. Is this the only year the back seat has been an issue?
    Hello MakoShark2,