Spyder Garage

Default Radio having poor reception

Hello. Anyone else having problems with local radio stations fading in and out? I spoke with the shop and was told a lot of people complain about this, but he didn't have a solution.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-27-2020 at 09:24 PM. Reason: This is a "How do I?" question not a "How to do:" DIY description

Spyder Garage

Yup, the reception on my '15 RT-S kinda sucks. Tried a new shorty antenna from Lamonster, but that was worse than the factory antenna, so went back to factory antenna.
    2015 RT-S , RED/BLACK

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tugskipper View Post
    Hello. Anyone else having problems with local radio stations fading in and out? I spoke with the shop and was told a lot of people complain about this, but he didn't have a solution.
    I have very good reception - however I don't have the OEM antennae anymore … I replaced it with a Bosche retractable ( manual ) auto antennae …. others here have gotten good results from just removing the tons of lock-tite on the antennae threads ( inner & outer ) ….. good luck … Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are several old threads on here about that.

Have you tried a search yet ??

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    There are several old threads on here about that.

Have you tried a search yet ??
    ...Sheese, The OP has only asked TWO questions since He joined last May …. cut the Guy some slack ………. However I'm happy you DIDN'T call Him an a**:....lecturef_smilie: ………………...your welcome ….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since this question pops up kind of often: let it get viewed by more folks, in the hopes that the O.P. sees an answer that will work for him.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Since you did give us the year and model of your Spyder. The answers you get cannot be very specific and if they are they may not apply to you.

The radio reception on my 2013 ST was very good. But many did have trouble with radio reception on their STs and RTs. The common problem was too much loctite on the antenna base threads. Clean that up and the reception improves greatly.

Now if you are asking about a 2018 model. The issues there are different. I have cleaned up the loctite on the antenna base of my 2018 F3L and the radio reception still sucks.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tugskipper View Post
    The radio has been a source of complaints since they first came out. AM has always been a no deal for both my RT's. FM is also sketchy. We have lots of mountains messing with the radio signals here. I understand the 2019's don't even have AM reception any more.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    IMO--much easier to start a new thread and get some "fresh" discussion on the subject.
    OK, I respect your opinion on that.

Do you also think that it is improper for a user to say that there are thousands of threads out there and ask if any searching has been done ?

I think both are necessary to get the whole picture.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

… And when it was explained to you exactly WHY this thread would stay put: you said that you were only complaining about a Post...
    When that Post is the start of a Thread: that's what you're talking about: the Thread.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

All this arguing still did not fix my radio .

I will try to remove the lock tight in the spring ,right now it is -18 c .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

BRP has the worst radio in the business. Reception and power sucks! Listen to an Indian, HD, Victory bike. You will walk away shaking your head. Ten plus years making bikes, and they still haven't figured it out yet! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    In the end, you will need to test the coax for continuity and shorts and good grounds.
    For that, you will need an ohm meter.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    All this arguing still did not fix my radio .

When it's warm enough to touch cold metal with your bare hands, sometimes it can help free up locktite if you hold the tip of a hot soldering iron against the nut, thread, or metal that it's threaded into for a few seconds.... in this case, I'd suggest holding it against the top of the block near where the antenna is threaded into it; holding it on the thread at the base of the antenna itself might loosen the antenna fibreglass in it's little brass socket instead or as well, & that you DON'T really want!! Besides, holding the hot soldering iron against the lump of metal that's the antenna base mounting block for about 5 seconds worked for me without obviously troubling anything else, and it made it easier to get the excess locktite outta that lump of brass too - it's easy enough to use a small wire brush on the male thread at the bottom of the antenna, but digging the excess out of the female side of the thread is harder unless it's all a bit gooey to start with! And once all the locktite excess was reduced significantly, my radio reception was significantly improved too!

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!