Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default 12 v charging docking station

Anyone who has added this ......what did you find easiest for switched power?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tatonka View Post
    You need to add at least a link to what you're talking about.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

12 v charge docking station like from lamonster or slingmods etc.....USB and 12v that mounts center handlebars.....some are direct to battery and always hot...the one I have is switched power.... just wondering the easiest connection found by those who have done it.......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

12 v charge docking station like from lamonster or slingmods etc.....USB and 12v that mounts center handlebars.....some are direct to battery and always hot...the one I have is switched power.... just wondering the easiest connection found by those who have done it.......
    There are plenty of threads that discuss doing such a thing. Have you tried using the search function?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    There are plenty of threads that discuss doing such a thing. Have you tried using the search function?

Such a worthless reply that offered essentially nothing.

Spyder Garage

I placed a Spyder Dock on my 2016 RT-S From Lamonster. I have never been more happy with a purchase. I found it Very easy to run the wire to the battery. It has the capability of USB & 12 V plug. I use it to Trickle charge my bike when not in use. I am no mechanic, and I found it easy to attach to my battery. Lamonster has a video on it that is helpful.

Spyder Garage

IMG_0506.jpg

Actually, after looking further, I changed to the single power unit from lamonster with the 12v and Usb removable plug....so I have a dual unit from slingmods ....never opened available....

Spyder Garage

IMG_0506.jpg

Actually, after looking further, I changed to the single power unit from lamonster with the 12v and Usb removable plug....so I have a dual unit from slingmods ....never opened available....
    Ironic, I have the same setup, new and never installed. I did try and test fit the powerport setup but in stock form would have required removing or relocating our Garmin that uses the Can Am mount / wire harness setup.

I did purchase additional hardware, planning to make a change thatwill allow retaining the oem Garmin GPS, but as of yet have not installed it.

At $150 msrp, certainly not an inexpensive mod to leave sitting around. Just not motivated to install it. Maybe someday.

This the one I have, looks to be the same.

https://spyderextras.com/shop/detail...-USB-1-12-Volt

Spyder Garage

One of the easiest places to obtain switched power that is fuse protected is the aux power port feeds.

These feed off the circuit that can be always hot or switched depending upon fuse location.

I want to believe you have an RT series. If so, the powerport in the trunk, if the fuse has not been repositioned for always hot, would be a good and easy place to tap into. The powerport uses typical spade connectors making it easy to bridge off of. If you have a newer Spyder, possibly the powerport has been omitted.

Spyder Garage

Yes, I do have a 2013 RT. Should've mentioned that I guess. Found a video on YouTube from Pierre at spider accessories.com where he shows you can wire to the temperature gauge in the dash… that looks like a good option

Spyder Garage

Yes, I do have a 2013 RT. Should've mentioned that I guess. Found a video on YouTube from Pierre at spider accessories.com where he shows you can wire to the temperature gauge in the dash… that looks like a good option
    The accessory port in the trunk is pretty easy access. Also, besides being fused, the port gives and easy access for both power and ground, without cutting the wire harness. Additionally, since you add on is for accessories the fuse rating and circuit should be adequate without interferring with other items.

To feed off the temp gauge will likely require cutting the wire harness, also if you connect a noisy device or if the circuit for temp is noisy, you may have concerns with electronics connected to it.

Entirely your choice. Have fun.

Spyder Garage

I already changed the 6-7 fuse to be hot in the trunk all the time......so I just need to set up this accessory for switch on only ......

Spyder Garage

On the Lamonster Garage video the handlebar docking station goes to a fused connection direct to the battery in the frunk. I did it a little bit different, installed a fuse block in the frunk of our 2018 RTL. Here is a post I made about it: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ribution-block
    I run 4 circuits, and can do 2 more on this set up. As this is directly from the battery, it bypasses the Canbus system so the nanny won't get upset.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue