Thread: MPG/flat.

Spyder Garage

Question MPG/flat.

1st fill up @ 140mi using "eco" setting and easy brake in. =32.9mpg. Hope it improves.
    Also have front tire flat for no apparent reason. Anyone else?
    CENTAUR
    "IT'S BETTER TO BE SHOT OUT OF A CANNON THAN SQUEEZED OUT OF A TUBE"-Dr. HS Thompson

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CENTAUR View Post
    1st fill up @ 140mi using "eco" setting and easy brake in. =32.9mpg. Hope it improves.
    CENTAUR
    In order for the MPG's thing to be even remotely accurate …. Start with a full tank ( anything less is going to sque(?) the results ) ….. zero one of the odometers …. when you refill to a full tank …. divide the number of miles driven by the amount of gas ….. this will tell you the MPG's for that period ….. Do it this way over and over to get an average …. then let us know your results …. Thanks ….. PS you may already know what I just said, so just do it that way …. Mike ..... &

Spyder Garage

I agree with Mike above. You will get a more accurate # after you have averaged 10 or more tanks. The technique is right on. Fill to the same level each time. Many things affect the number.

So far, most of what I have seen for Ryker is right around 30 mpg. In six months or so, we will have a better idea as the reports continue.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

In one of Shawn Smoak's videos he mentions a flat front Ryker tyre (slow leak). Think it just hadn't sealed fully around the rim. Sorry can't find the video link atm but it was mentioned in the title.

Found it I think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS_FVBF-q_k

Can't watch it to confirm as on a restricted network.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I also had a slow leak in my front right tire. After spraying with soapy water, I found the seepage at the rim due to bad seating. Filled the tire with 30 pounds per square inch and then hit the tire with a rubber mallet in several places and that did the job. No more Lake. I will however be Adding. tire sealant as a safety precaution.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    In order for the MPG's thing to be even remotely accurate …. Start with a full tank ( anything less is going to sque(?) the results ) ….. zero one of the odometers …. when you refill to a full tank …. divide the number of miles driven by the amount of gas ….. this will tell you the MPG's for that period ….. Do it this way over and over to get an average …. then let us know your results …. Thanks ….. PS you may already know what I just said, so just do it that way …. Mike ..... &
    You are getting better than most
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerUSA View Post
    I will however be Adding. tire sealant as a safety precaution.
    Think hard and long about using tire sealant. The next time you need the tire removed you could easily unfriend your local tire guy faster than cussing him out on Facebook!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Think hard and long about using tire sealant. The next time you need the tire removed you could easily unfriend your local tire guy faster than cussing him out on Facebook!
    You will pay me an extra half hour of the labor rate for the time it takes me to clean up my tools and work area. First question is. "Do you have the wheel off the bike or do you want us to do it?" Second question is. "Do you have sealer or any other goop in the tire, because if you do it'll cost you half hour labor?"

As far as the MPG mine did improve as the miles piled up on my 2015 RT. I usually see 35 to 40 MPG and never use the eco mode. I can and do drop to the low 30's, but that's when I'm feeling frisky and twisting the grip hard
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Default MPG's

Welcome to the spyder world and this site.... as mentioned above many things will impact your mileage. Starting with a full tank and setting a trip meter is the best. Using the same gas helps as well. If this is the first few rydes it will get better as you driving get more comfortable and have not been impressed with the eco button at all. From what I read it seems there is a mounting problem on some units but re-seating has worked for most. Also check the valve core to make sure it is tight as many times when seating they remove it....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CENTAUR View Post
    CENTAUR
    1st fill up! Did the dealer give you the Ryker fully fuelled? I doubt it.

Spyder Garage

Hi all ref tyre sealant its peace of mind and if tyres last a couple of thousand miles OR more + what do you do with a flat
    Call out won't have BRP socket etc go for sealant and make a cup of coffee for tyre fitter ! Regards Nico75

Spyder Garage

Update: Flat was due to bead not set. Dealer says tire ok but I'm sceptical after riding on it flat. Messed up sidewall?
    "IT'S BETTER TO BE SHOT OUT OF A CANNON THAN SQUEEZED OUT OF A TUBE"-Dr. HS Thompson

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So far35mpg w/200miles. cueman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    So far35mpg w/200miles. cueman
    Nice! It must have finally warmed up some there
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We got lucky for a day or so and now it’s back to dusting of snow and 30s. cueman

Spyder Garage

Wow I dont feel so bad I fill up at 150 miles on the trip meter regardless does not take any more than 4.5 or 5 gallons. I stop when it stops the second time and just starts to come out the vent slits on the filler. We of course have the 998 and we will see this summer as I am just starting to drive like a madman
    Dave
    2013 RT Limited
    Lamonster FBB with larger gripper pegs
    Value Accessories dah mount
    Custom Dynamics High Mount brake light
    BRP passenger arm rests

Spyder Garage

Hi All,
    My first fill by me only. Computer mpg=31.8, calculated mpg=27.

Spyder Garage

I do not like multi topic threads, sorry.

My right front tire leaked. Over inflated tire and reset to correct pressure. Two weeks later seems to be holding pressure.

Spyder Garage

As much as I like my Ryker,the mph is a sore spot. The left side gas gauge does not work at all. 120 miles and not any movement, still show full. Miles to go never gives over 80 even though I am up to 33 or 35mpg with warmer weather. I found by resetting the mpg it seems to work a faster faster. With summer gas coming I am hoping to get 40 mpg. Can am does not give any mistimes for mpg so I called them before I bought one. I asked about the 600( but got a 900) and they said between 39 and 47 mpg. The 900 might get a little mpg but I would not think it would be huge. I am planing some long trips this summer and don't want to worry about fuel stops.