Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up ISCI Hand Brake- you guys are going to love this

Ever since I did my first cable hand brake setup I've been getting emails, PM's and phone calls about it. I'm pretty sure I've help a few of you here with setting these up. But like I've always said I wouldn't want to trust it a 100% because as you know cables do break. Till now I really couldn't point you to a real solution. Then came ISCI.

I met these guys down in Daytona and was really impressed with their craftsmanship of the prototype products they were showing. What I really liked was their hydraulic hand brake. I don't have to tell you guys why this is needed but as a motorcycle guy without a disability I still wanted to keep the good habits I've developed over the years. They really did a nice job on this product and I was one of the lucky ones to get a first artical of the production unit to do some of my own field testing. Right now I can only tell you about the parts and the install but I'll fill you in after I've put some miles on this thing.

I don't know the price and I don't know the release date but I know it will be soon. They are waiting to get some feedback from me as a user.

Here's a few pics and a video.

This is what you bolt up as a unit. Quality stuff here.

This is what they had to do to space it out a bit and neck it down to 7/8"
    Once again quality stuff,

This is the unit installed. The ram is fully adjustable. Install was super easy. hardest thing was bleeding the line.

Here's the brake res

And here's a little video of it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I want one..... That is my biggest problem with the Spyder. Coming from streetbikes over 30 years, I never used the rear brake except on track days. First ride on the Spyder, I almost rear-ended a truck by trying to use a brake that wasnt there. Serious brain lockup before i remembered the brake pedal.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    I want one..... That is my biggest problem with the Spyder. Coming from streetbikes over 30 years, I never used the rear brake except on track days. First ride on the Spyder, I almost rear-ended a truck by trying to use a brake that wasnt there. Serious brain lockup before i remembered the brake pedal.
    Been there, done that

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Been there, done that
    Amen.... Great Mod.... really should be part of the spyder off production.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    Bad practice! Bike riders need to use both brakes for maximum stopping power, unless they have an integrated brake system. You use both on track days because it works better, why do less on the street? Front brake alone is not only less effective, but can dump you on the ground in a curve or on bad surfaces.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

That does solve the slave cylinder issue. They're going to be at the dealership today with the demo team.

thanks lamonster
    Happy Owner
    Chances are the referenced post is positive in nature, may result in a solution, alteration, modification, or highlights an extraordinary event or ride, that's worth posting.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Ever since I did my first cable hand brake setup I've been getting emails, PM's and phone calls about it. I'm pretty sure I've help a few of you here with setting these up. But like I've always said I wouldn't want to trust it a 100% because as you know cables do break. Till now I really couldn't point you to a real solution. Then came ISCI.
    Very Nice set-up, and really does look to be a very quality item from ISCI

Looking forward to your review and testing of this, Lamont

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Bad practice! Bike riders need to use both brakes for maximum stopping power, unless they have an integrated brake system. You use both on track days because it works better, why do less on the street? Front brake alone is not only less effective, but can dump you on the ground in a curve or on bad surfaces.
    -Scotty
    I actually use it a little, but for normal street riding, I rely on the fronts for stopping. I use them on the track to back the end around in the corners, not something I would do on the street. Foot is always covering the pedal though, just in case its needed.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

nice review Lamonster...thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does this hand brake set up have enough braking force to activate the ABS system without assistance from the foot pedal?? larryd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lamonster nice photos and review, if you have it then it's a must have. Too many time I reach for a brake lever where they is none, I have the original front bumper in my garage as it has been hit a few times thank God they were all at a slow speed so only the black front bumper got damaged.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Does this hand brake set up have enough braking force to activate the ABS system without assistance from the foot pedal?? larryd
    I just got back from a little field testing as far as stopping power. I made several runs to get an average. I was by myself so I can't give you exact measurements but this is pretty darn close.

What I did was run down the road at about 40 mph and slammed on the brakes with the foot pedal only and then the hand brake only. I found that I could stop about 2 to 3 feet sooner with the foot pedal. That's not bad in my book. All in all it's better than my cable system for sure and not that much worst than the foot only brake. If this was the only brake I had I would feel pretty good about it as the only way I could tell that it could be a little better is I did have use of the foot brake.

Spyder Garage

This seems like the best, most reliable setup. A must for many whose foot muscles, leg reflexes, etc., prevent them from having the stopping power needed. Thanks, Lamont for being our tester and evaluator.
    I have read how so many veteran riders have had a problem with just the foot brake, reaching for a lever that wasn't there. I rode for over 40 years and somehow have not had any problems adjusting to the foot brake only. A couple of times I reached for the lever, but because I have always been a hand and foot braker, the Spyder foot brake stopped the Spyder. I have known several people in the past that had their bikes flipping over on them by using only the front brake to stop and locking the brakes.
    Last edited by Dudley; 06-13-2009 at 07:58 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sweet! Looks like they got a Hayes Brake master, or at least one that looks like it! Im so excited!!!

Spyder Garage

I met Jeff and Billy (ISCI) today at the dealer demo ride. They had a bike there with the running boards, Helibars setup, and a variation of the hand brake set. I thought the boards were really comfortable. The Helibar setup was better than I thought it would be also. Pictures don't do it justice. Their shop is only an hour or so down the road.
    Happy Owner
    Chances are the referenced post is positive in nature, may result in a solution, alteration, modification, or highlights an extraordinary event or ride, that's worth posting.

Spyder Garage

Timeline on a for sale date and price? if its a legit price I would by one tomorrow. My cable system for a brake is pissin me off.

thanks for the test setup and overview. did you have to tap the holes for the end of the rod or are there it bolts to the frame?
    Last edited by SethO; 06-13-2009 at 10:20 PM.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Spyder Garage

Like the idea of a hand operated brake.
    Can't see a price for it on the website, any idea what its going to cost.
    Andrew Gaze
    2008 Full Moon SM5 PE#979

I am one very happy owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Twodog185 View Post
    I met Jeff and Billy (ISCI) today at the dealer demo ride. They had a bike there with the running boards, Helibars setup, and a variation of the hand brake set. I thought the boards were really comfortable. The Helibar setup was better than I thought it would be also. Pictures don't do it justice. Their shop is only an hour or so down the road.
    Any comment on your foot position with respect to using the extended brake or extended shifter?

Thanks,

Pete

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SethO View Post
    Timeline on a for sale date and price? if its a legit price I would by one tomorrow. My cable system for a brake is pissin me off.

thanks for the test setup and overview. did you have to tap the holes for the end of the rod or are there it bolts to the frame?

Like I said in the first post (because I knew someone was going to ask ) I don't know when it was going to be released or what the price will be.

The that no drilling or tapping. You change the pin in the brake to a longer one, remove two bolts in the frame and bolt this unit up. Install the brake reservoir and brake line, bleed the brakes and your, done other than some rod adjustment. The install is very easy.

Spyder Garage

I like the looks (and function) of this. I also like that they have taken the time and expense to get it right. This should bring in a LOT of new Spyder owners!
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I know what you said that but I am sure you will update us when you can. thanks again for the info.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Spyder Garage

Just got back from another ride with the new hand brake and it working great. This has so much more stopping power than my cable setup. They really did a great job getting the leverage and pressures right.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Right on, good news for sure.
    Lamont, let isci know its great right away.. I need this product asap.....

Spyder Garage

I agree.

crash tester for:

Spyder Garage

I've been getting a lot of PM's on this. Best I can tell you is call ISCI 334-277-2224 for pricing and availability. i really have no idea.

I will say is I had a cable brake system now and that was the only way I was stopping my Spyder I would call these guys today and get on the list. I had to do some running around yesterday and that's all I used just to see what it would be like and it stopped just as good as my foot brake in normal driving conditions. I didn't have to give myself any extra room. This is a must have mod for me.