Spyder Garage

Default Yes, P0551 & PO552> Check DPS 2009 GS SE5

Hi everyone, My 2009 GS after being parked several weeks after 1.5K mile trip on the Oregon Coast in Oct. said "Merry Christmas> Happy New Year" . The 24th DEC I started it up in the morning in 23 degree temperature and the display came up with two messages, Red flashing park brake, which is normal, and new message "Check DPS". This is not a Merry Christmas message as most of you know..

I bought this GS new actually from closest dealer in April 2011 out of the crate. The DPS recall was preformed on it before I took delivery and the "Buds software "confirms that the present DPS was manufactured>20110228 and is a 709400964. I have not had any issues with the power steering I am aware of. The Spyder SE5 now has 14K miles on it. The two codes according to BUDS software are internal failure of Torque sensor, not repairable replace unit. I did try to clear these codes but they are active and return immediately.
    Any one in this group have any information on source of this part and actual replacement "gotchs". Also if familiar with BUDS software when replacing a module like this what to expect. I will recheck the wheel alignment "using in The box" after replacement of the DPS with tools& lasers alignment I machined & put together earlier last year when replacing all three tires on my GS and my good buddy's 2011 RT..
    I am alone out here when comes to this type service , I ended up the support person and I need some input. Thanks OZZ3
    PS please pass along any info pertinent to this issue.

Spyder Garage

check your battery, battery connections, make sure they are tight first. even check battery with meter, no load and load test, then go from there
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi Dave Here,
    I can give you plenty of info. but your not going to like it...
    I have the same Spyder as you, at the time of my DPS problem I had, at the time of repair
    it had 19,022.2 miles on the Spyder mine is a 2008 GS. I had returned from a trip to Lake Tahoe
    and parked it in the garage, the next day I went out to go some place on it and my dash lit up and I had
    the scrolling message (DPS Failure) I backed out and noticed the steering was somewhat harder than usual
    but rideable. I gave the dealer a call and told them what it was doing, he said to come down and they would
    check it out, they found out that the unit had already been replaced in 2009 because of a recall, and now the replacement
    unit was junk. Here is the repair bill. I was not happy with this however..... this is a hell of a lot less than buying a new
    Spyder, this one has been TROUBLE FREE the entire time I have owned it so why change now.
    That is it in the photo to the left with my ST100

DPS.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by OZZ3 View Post
    Hi everyone, My 2009 GS after being parked several weeks after 1.5K mile trip on the Oregon Coast in Oct. said "Merry Christmas> Happy New Year" . The 24th DEC I started it up in the morning in 23 degree temperature and the display came up with two messages, Red flashing park brake, which is normal, and new message "Check DPS". This is not a Merry Christmas message as most of you know..

I bought this GS new actually from closest dealer in April 2011 out of the crate. The DPS recall was preformed on it before I took delivery and the "Buds software "confirms that the present DPS was manufactured>20110228 and is a 709400964. I have not had any issues with the power steering I am aware of. The Spyder SE5 now has 14K miles on it. The two codes according to BUDS software are internal failure of Torque sensor, not repairable replace unit. I did try to clear these codes but they are active and return immediately.
    Any one in this group have any information on source of this part and actual replacement "gotchs". Also if familiar with BUDS software when replacing a module like this what to expect. I will recheck the wheel alignment "using in The box" after replacement of the DPS with tools& lasers alignment I machined & put together earlier last year when replacing all three tires on my GS and my good buddy's 2011 RT..
    I am alone out here when comes to this type service , I ended up the support person and I need some input. Thanks OZZ3
    PS please pass along any info pertinent to this issue.
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 01-03-2019 at 02:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    check your battery, battery connections, make sure they are tight first. even check battery with meter, no load and load test, then go from there
    Hey Thanks for your feedback, Yes to all the above in your quote. I had already made checks on the heavy ground wire connections tied to the DPS and the battery. I personally installed a digital Voltmeter gauge in 2012 in the right side of the dash next to the cluster with a digital oil pressure on the opposite side with red LED displays which have become very handy. Also put a pressure sensor in the gas feed line to measure pressure the 50 psi to injectors at the same time. I used the digital Oil Pressure gauge selectable with SPDT toggle switch with water proof boot. The BRP BUDs software shows the torque read out as Zero and the P0551 & 552 codes repeatable return after clearing with BUDS.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The cold temps might affect it. I started mine when it was very cold (below 25 degrees) and got the DPS light on my dash. Tried again once the temps were warmer and all was ok. Mine is a 2014 RT-S, but was affected by cold weather.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

2011 RT, I replaced my own DPS, $1200 for the unit. The only special tool you will need is a special non magnetic socket to remove the steering angle sensor. You will still have to reset the steering parameters on Buds when finished.

Spyder Garage

Thank You OIJim, The info you just shared with me is what I needed to know. I have a buddy out here who has a 2011 RT red SE5 . I have been alone in this area with the only Spyder from 2011 to 2015 about . I had a lot of discussions with large number of interested people at Gas stations and down town area of Walla Walla in that time and there are now several in the area. Norm who has a 2011 RT SE5 he bought used in 2016 and I have logged on about 10K miles in long trips since the fall of 2016 alternately pulling a trailer he bought . A couple of his brothers have 2011 RT SE5's and they live in Eastern Oregon, All four Spyder's are red with the black trim. We have not joined any clubs as of this time but are part of a Catholic motorcycle group of 21 of us who made a five day round trip to Crater Lake June of 2018 and a new trip scheduled for Yellowstone 2019. Norm and I were the only Spyder's in the group , we had a great time with everyone.
    Thanks again for the feed back. OZZ3 Larry Osborn Retired