Thread: limp home

Spyder Garage

Default limp home

2017 can am rts .for the 2nd time the limp home shut me down. the first time it was the brake contact switch crack.this time not sure but i put wd 40 on the brake pedal after i got it home and saw that brake lights were not on every time you press the brakes.now working-no codes.cant someone find a way to fix a simple brake light not correctly from this dilemma.had this not happen before i would have taken it back to dealer.too many small things shut you down and when you look up code it said take to dealer.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Be careful that you aren’t riding the brake pedal. That will cause error messages and limp mode

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Agree about riding the brake pedal. Been there and done that. Darn new pair of boots (2010).

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mike1952 View Post
    2017 can am rts .for the 2nd time the limp home shut me down. the first time it was the brake contact switch crack.this time not sure but i put wd 40 on the brake pedal after i got it home and saw that brake lights were not on every time you press the brakes.now working-no codes.cant someone find a way to fix a simple brake light not correctly from this dilemma.had this not happen before i would have taken it back to dealer.too many small things shut you down and when you look up code it said take to dealer.
    I have never seen a code " take it to your dealer " ...… Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's more going on here; than meets the eye...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking.....

Many reasons for the brake light to come on. Fluid even the slightest low, brake light switch, bulbs, pads will wear and lower fluid, foot on the pedal like downhill etc. If they fixed the switch and you find it is now working right they did not do it right...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And.....WD40 has some good solvents in it but it is NOT a good lubricant for most applications.

It dries sticky and can make matters worse instead of better in a lot of places.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mike1952 View Post
    Hey Mike1952,

We are sorry to hear about the concerns of your 2017 Can-Am. As it doesn't seem right, we recommend you to contact your local dealership as soon as possible. They will be able to verify your unit and find a solution.
    As you may know, our dealers are more than just sales people; they're the best positioned people to help you with most of your requests, as they are not only technically knowledgeable, but have a lot of information on hand at the dealership. If your dealer needs further asssitance, we kindly invite him to contact his dealer dedicated line and a BRP technican will be happy to advise.

Should you have any other questions or comments, do not hesitate to reach us by sending us an email to brp.care@brp.com or to call us at T + 888.272.9222.

Regards.
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    And.....WD40 has some good solvents in it but it is NOT a good lubricant for most applications.

It dries sticky and can make matters worse instead of better in a lot of places.
    He's right:
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

shame on me for getting this crap.never something so small should shut you down on the side of the road.i dont trust this can am to take a trip with my friends

Spyder Garage

Sorry about your experiences, might be a good poll: How many Spyders had to limp home. Never happened to me in over 20K miles.
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Spyder Garage

I can understand your frustration on going into limp mode. Spyders are complicated machines and sometimes things do happen. That's why I like forums: I can read up on issues and most of the time find answers on how to resolve them. For me, since I'm a DIY'er, I'd rather work the issue out myself. Hope you get it fixed and back on the road soon.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

I had this limp mode issue when my third brake light diode went out and was back feeding to the brake switch, thinking I was riding the brake petal. I had to disconnect power to third brake light and all was good. When I got home I replaced the diode and has been good ever since so if you have a third brake light on back may want to disconnect it and to see if that is your issue ..

Spyder Garage

well here we are again.no brake lights.ruined my trip.I HAVE LOST ALL CONFIDENCE IN THIS MOTORCYCLE.YOU NEVER KNOW HOW FAR YOU CAN GET BEFORE LIMP HOME POPS UP