Spyder Garage

Default RS Rear Tire & RS Longevity

I've looked through threads, but many of the tires people recommended for the RS are no longer available. What rear tire/size/pressure would you suggest. My RS is a 2010 with 5k (bought at end of summer) and concerned about summer rides on 8 year old rubber (especially stock Kendas). Also, with all the attention now on the Ryker, I hope my experience with the RS will be a good one. How many miles have people rolled on RS models before giving them up? Any special maintenance items to pay closer attention to? Wish it were summer already, snow on the ground here so will be locked away from riding for several months yet... but a good time to work on upgrades/maintaining the machine. Thanks.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinDavid View Post
    I've looked through threads, but many of the tires people recommended for the RS are no longer available. What rear tire/size/pressure would you suggest. My RS is a 2010 with 5k (bought at end of summer) and concerned about summer rides on 8 year old rubber (especially stock Kendas). Also, with all the attention now on the Ryker, I hope my experience with the RS will be a good one. How many miles have people rolled on RS models before giving them up? Any special maintenance items to pay closer attention to? Wish it were summer already, snow on the ground here so will be locked away from riding for several months yet... but a good time to work on upgrades/maintaining the machine. Thanks.
    If you are nervous about the size - don't be just get a 205/60 - 15 there are many tires this size for the RS / GS / ST and they won't interfere with the rear fender ….. If you add 1/4 inch spacers to the fender mounting bolts a 215 /60 - i5 will easily clear...……… I run my rear Auto tire at 17 psi, great traction Wet or Dry and great mileage. IMHO the Vredestein " Quatrac 5 " is the best Spyder made currently …. the Michelin " Defender T&H " is a close second …..good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

I used nothing but Kenda on my 2008 and 2009. Dealer would not allow other tires. I got 15 to 20 K miles on the rear tires and closer to 20K plus on the fronts.

RE: Longevity--there are at least three with over 100K miles on them. I traded my 08 off at 36.5K because I had to have the new RTS. The 09 had 22.5 miles on it when the spouse left. No idea how many miles currently.,

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Forever...I hope

I don't do tires but there are enough here that can help you with that...as to longevity they are a tough ryde. As mentioned there are many out there with over 100,000 I currently have 43,000 on my 2012 and doing great. Relax your experience will be a good one and get better...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info... sounds like finding a good auto tire will not be hard... and the longevity folks have found is of value too. Lastly, any particular maintenance/upkeep items to be aware of... frequency to take them back to a BRP dealer for their sniffing around? (Valves I seem to remember reading about... etc.) Again, mine is at 5k... so not sure when and what to look at myself... oil/filter just changed before storing ... and what to take it to the dealer for.

Spyder Garage

Also, anyone from WI that has had a WI dealer mount/change a non Kenda rear tire for them? I'm between Madison and Milwaukee... so Rob's in Johnson Creek & Englehart in Madison. I haven't dealt with either so far... but I know Rob's is a very active dealer and hosts the SOAR (Spyder Owners and Ryders) group in this area.

Spyder Garage

RE: Valve checks--DO NOT DO THEM. DEALER GETS $1,500--YOU USUALLY GET NOTHING.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the good info!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinDavid View Post
    Also, anyone from WI that has had a WI dealer mount/change a non Kenda rear tire for them? I'm between Madison and Milwaukee... so Rob's in Johnson Creek & Englehart in Madison. I haven't dealt with either so far... but I know Rob's is a very active dealer and hosts the SOAR (Spyder Owners and Ryders) group in this area.
    Depending on your comfort with the amount of tread left, Idea for road trip: you plan on attempting Spyderfest?, PittBULLshould be able to handle you there setting a appointment advised, they get swamped, & if u can try SpyderPops for other timeframes he carries Yokohama & had my rear on in about an hour or so(I get distracted easily)GOOD LUCK & enjoy

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights