Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Could this really happen?

https://www.rockwallheraldbanner.com...2c8bbfbfb.html

Edited video https://wsvn.com/news/local/3-year-o...ne-miami-dade/

I hope everybody is ok,But how could this happen unless the spyder was already running, brake off.

Soooo the baby got on it, turned key on, hit MODE, and then started it, turned off park brake and gunned it, REALLY!

I think dad screwed up!
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluewoo View Post

I hope everybody is ok,But how could this happen unless the spyder was already running, brake off.

Soooo the baby got on it, turned key on, hit MODE, and then started it, turned off park brake and gunned it, REALLY!

I think dad screwed up!
    It could not happen as the story was told. It did happen so there is definitely something wrong with the story.

A fully decked out dad (helmet included) from inside the house where they 'heard the Spyder revving up' managed to catch up to it as the 3 yr old was driving away... Not hardly
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The thing I like best about the Spyder is how complicated it is to start. A person unacquainted with its starting procedure will be unable to steal it

Spyder Garage

we have 33 replies on two pages in another thread on this subject from 12/27/18

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...hild-swipes-F3

maybe they could/should be merged?

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The OP is fairly new. Let's cut him a break.

The other thread has run its course. If you want to continue to comment--just do it here.

I see there are already some repeats.

If you don't like what is going on--just don't comment.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-03-2019 at 09:27 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We're glad that you are so well-versed in what has been said in here. Not everyone is so fortunate...

Spyder Garage

When you live in South Florida, these type of things are not surprising. Myself and other Spyder riders here in SoFlo do consider the entire incident suspicious.

Spyder Garage

I think dad screwed up!
    I have driven my 4 Spyders for 7+ years and I do NOT understand how this could happen??? the father was very negligent and had to have let the child on the Spyder with the engine running, in gear, and the child hit the brake release... explain any other possibilities to me???
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by starrider60 View Post
    The thing I like best about the Spyder is how complicated it is to start. A person unacquainted with its starting procedure will be unable to steal it
    Yes it is hard to start! I challenged my niece ( a young lady in her twenties) to start my Spyder. I said that I would give her a dollar if she could start it. With my key in her hand off she went along with her dad who had owned several Goldwings. Well after 15 or minutes or so, I hear a some yelling from her. She finally got it started. That was $1 well spent, to see how hard it is to start a Spyder.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016
    SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera
    Show Chrome Back Rest , Show Chrome Hitch
    Leesure-lite trailer, Harbor Freight tag along trailer (sold)
    Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames
    BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors, DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs,
    DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags, Method to open Frunk and seat without using key,
    LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

She's a very smart young lady!
    I've handed my keys to several of my friends: none of them ever got it.
    Or does that mean that I've just got dumb friends??

Spyder Garage

Didn't see the other post - my bad!
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

bluewoo, I didn't see the other thread on this either. Glad you started this one. An yes the guy screwed up big time.

Spyder Garage

Everyone has been saying how difficult the Spyder is to start, but as Big F says, if the father pulled up in first gear, hit the park brake button and left the engine running, all the child has to do is accidentally hit the park brake button (and it is the lowest closest button), grab the throttle, and away they go. Perhaps the father had the child sitting in front of him for a 50’ ride up the street and ducked in to get his camera, stupidly leaving the child there?....... perhaps the child climbed on the floorboard and reached over to play with the buttons and then grabbed the accelerator? The possibilities are endless, but it should not be assumed that the child had to start the Spyder from scratch.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Didn't see the other post - my bad!
    Think nothing of it: You simply gave more folks a chance to see the story!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Think nothing of it: You simply gave more folks a chance to see the story!
    And those that must complain about essentially nothing, more to complain about. No harm in posting this topic more than once, if anything it serves as an excellent safety topic regarding Spyders.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    And those that must complain about essentially nothing, more to complain about. No harm in posting this topic more than once, if anything it serves as an excellent safety topic regarding Spyders.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The OP is fairly new. Let's cut him a break.

The other thread has run its course. If you want to continue to comment--just do it here.

I see there are already some repeats.

If you don't like what is going on--just don't comment.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

No way a 3 year old will start the Spyder and take off. My brother wanted to ride mine. I gave him the key and I went to get a tool I needed. Came back a few minutes later and he was still trying to start it. He said it would be hard to steel this even if you left the key in it. Which I have before while at a gas station or eating lunch.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    No way a 3 year old will start the Spyder and take off. My brother wanted to ride mine. I gave him the key and I went to get a tool I needed. Came back a few minutes later and he was still trying to start it. He said it would be hard to steel this even if you left the key in it. Which I have before while at a gas station or eating lunch.
    But as they're becoming better known in the World of Motorcycles: their "peculiarities", will be known by more and more people...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    But if it has been left running, in 1st with the handbrake on, it is very easy to accidentally press the “handbrake off” button and grab the accelerator, JP
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup! Dad was letting his bike warm up, and forgot about his babysitting duties...

Spyder Garage

At the risk of re-entering the debate over this fairy tale of the 'runaway Spyder', some points certainly go unanswered/unexplained:

IF, as might be possible, the dad simply left the Spyder running, unattended, in gear, with parking brake on, and left the scene even momentarily (an action which, I believe, most folks would consider careless, perhaps even rather negligent) ... and IF an unaccompanied 3-year old managed to climb aboard unaided (questionable) and get herself into a position where she could (a) - reach far left and figure out how to release the brake, and (b), then reach far right and have enough strength in her small hand to twist the throttle hard enough to get the bike up to speed (somewhat dubious)... that's the least problematic of this improbable concoction of an explanation ...

IF, as some suspect, he left the Spyder running, unattended, in gear with parking brake on, and walked momentarily away while leaving a 3-year child already aboard awaiting his return, there's a fair chance most folks would regard that scenario not simply as carelessness or basic negligence, but more as gross negligence... a case of recklessly creating a situation of danger to a child who has no proper basis for appreciating the risks of 'playing around' with the buttons and switches on a powerful, fully operational machine, but every likelihood of wanting, or being expected, to do so. If that's the story, the guy just dug himself deeper into the quicksand.

BUT, even if either of those scenarios did cause this calamity to take place, THEN it seems the kid roared off ALONE on the Spyder, leaving dad to chase the moving bike down the street, all the while catching up and jumping on (like some kind of trick rider with a circus pony). Really??? Maybe the guy is a track star sprinter (he caught up to a speeding Spyder!!); he certainly has more agility than brains (he managed to vault himself through the air and land in the pillion seat of a moving motorcycle). But, not quite adept enough to prevent either his child or himself from falling off. By the grace of someone, no serious injuries. Except to the Spyder, still running, in gear, once again unattended, now with no brake on, and careening madly onward to its demise.

Impossible??? perhaps not.

Highly improbable??? absolutely, IMHO.

The 'story' I'll believe is the one that holds that dad was showing off, with the kid astride the gas tank. He takes his hands off the bars and suggests that she 'drive'. She twists the throttle. The Spyder lurches forward, bucks them both off, and crashes. Just a tad more probable. But what do I know... although I've been bucked off both horses and bikes a few times, and even a car once.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    At the risk of re-entering the debate over this fairy tale of the 'runaway Spyder', some points certainly go unanswered/unexplained:

IF, as might be possible, the dad simply left the Spyder running, unattended, in gear, with parking brake on, and left the scene even momentarily (an action which, I believe, most folks would consider careless, perhaps even rather negligent) ... and IF an unaccompanied 3-year old managed to climb aboard unaided (questionable) and get herself into a position where she could (a) - reach far left and figure out how to release the brake, and (b), then reach far right and have enough strength in her small hand to twist the throttle hard enough to get the bike up to speed (somewhat dubious)... that's the least problematic of this improbable concoction of an explanation ...

IF, as some suspect, he left the Spyder running, unattended, in gear with parking brake on, and walked momentarily away while leaving a 3-year child already aboard awaiting his return, there's a fair chance most folks would regard that scenario not simply as carelessness or basic negligence, but more as gross negligence... a case of recklessly creating a situation of danger to a child who has no proper basis for appreciating the risks of 'playing around' with the buttons and switches on a powerful, fully operational machine, but every likelihood of wanting, or being expected, to do so. If that's the story, the guy just dug himself deeper into the quicksand.

BUT, even if either of those scenarios did cause this calamity to take place, THEN it seems the kid roared off ALONE on the Spyder, leaving dad to chase the moving bike down the street, all the while catching up and jumping on (like some kind of trick rider with a circus pony). Really??? Maybe the guy is a track star sprinter (he caught up to a speeding Spyder!!); he certainly has more agility than brains (he managed to vault himself through the air and land in the pillion seat of a moving motorcycle). But, not quite adept enough to prevent either his child or himself from falling off. By the grace of someone, no serious injuries. Except to the Spyder, still running, in gear, once again unattended, now with no brake on, and careening madly onward to its demise.

Impossible??? perhaps not.

Highly improbable??? absolutely, IMHO.

The 'story' I'll believe is the one that holds that dad was showing off, with the kid astride the gas tank. He takes his hands off the bars and suggests that she 'drive'. She twists the throttle. The Spyder lurches forward, bucks them both off, and crashes. Just a tad more probable. But what do I know... although I've been bucked off both horses and bikes a few times, and even a car once.
    Run a poll--let's see what the consensus is.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red