Spyder Garage

Default Android with BRP Connect -- Overheating

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S7 with BRP Connect while running Sygic maps. I have my phone in the Frunk pocket where the USB connector is. After 20 minutes or so on an 82 degree sunny day, my phone is shutting off for overheating. This is the same phone I use in FL summertime where temps will be in the 90s, and the only time I've seen it overheat was when left in a car in direct sunlight for several hours. I left my wife's iPhone 7 in same car at same time, and have seen it overheat before the Samsung -- so really do not think it is the phone.

Does the Frunk in the Spyder get allot of heat from the engine/radiator? Where are people putting the phone so that they do not see an overheat on the phone? It pretty much makes BRP Connect useless as it completely freezes when the phones goes into overheat, and unsure what to do about it.

Also, I've thought about rerouting the USB to the Glovebox for easier access, but held off because I understand that it gets really hot. Has anyone tried installing some insulation / heat barrier (e.g. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...xoC2D4QAvD_BwE) in the glovebox, and did it work?

Thanks for any thoughts, am starting to think about installing my Garmin motorcycle GPS in lieu of BRP Connect........several of the connect apps are not available for android anyway.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I have the same problem using the same phone and Genius Maps. Plus it seems to drain battery instead of charging it. I'm giving BRP Connect very low marks. It doesn't seem to work very well and is quite difficult to navigate through. I hope someone can shed light on our difficulties.

2014 Cognac RT Limited #185 (destroyed in T-Bone wreck 3/21/2014)
    2014 Cognac RT Limited #5333 (replacement 5/16/2014)
    2018 Champagne RT Limited #1002 (traded 1/31/2018)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sygic is much easer to use and requires less storage for map data. Using the right power cable and not a cheap aftermarket one helps. If the phone's battery is less than half gone then it won't get fully charged as the USB is not as powerful as it could be. Depends on how many other apps are on in the background. I'm guessing it also can depend on how much extra storage is available and making sure the phone is up to date might be worth checking.

It's also why I routed a Lamonster cable up through the fairing so I can mount the phone on the dash. Although even after an all day ride the phone is not hot. I use an iPhone 8.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

The screen may be locked on causing a lot of heat - doubt its the charging since it only gives min voltage to keep maintained.
    If you have a phone protector these can retain heat also as my Google pixel I have to remove the protector if driving car and using it as a GPS or it will shut down due to heat.

Good Luck and keep us posted
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have an S7 mini and it gets noticeably hot occasionally for totally unknown reasons......but mostly because an APP has been left running.
    There is virtually NO ventilation in the Frunk.

I suspect that model isn't gonna work for what you are trying to do.

Spyder Garage

Get an extension USB cable from Best Buy or Walmart and route it to behind the windshield (very easy to do) Install a phone holder there and you're done. Done that on my, works great.
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input. I am considering rerouting the USB, with first thought being the glovebox. Before I do, I want to do an extended ride and take the temps in the box. I've read about the "oven" on older models, and hit and miss on newer ones. I used my calibrated hand on some hemet holders I had in the box after an hour ride in traffic, and they were not even warm. I may route to the outside, but that is my last hope.

I am beginning to think it may be the bike's firmware. Although mine is a whopping 3 weeks old, it has version 10.x loaded. Plan to get by the dealer for an update (should have been done BEFORE delivery), but am trying to hold off until the imminent release of the 20.X version discussed in another thread. While "overheating" was not mentioned in threads about the old version of software, there seemed to be enough hiccups that it could be locking the phone up and creating an overheat situation.

Thanks
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I still haven't figured out BRP Connect system! Just got 2018 F3L. Dealer was no help.
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

rtotten, if you are using an Android phone the connect is somewhat limited in functionality. Mine has problems with losing connection, which I believe can be attributed to my very old software version. That said, Android does not have REVER, Accuweather, and it seems that anything new comes out for Apple a LONG time before it does for Android. Extremely frustrating because it has so much potential. And the system NOT having bluetooth for the radio is simply ridiculous, hope that is fixed with 20.X update.

Hopeful the new SW will solve everything for me.....but think I know better!

Good luck, the system is really not that hard to figure out, juts does not work (once again, hopefully my SW).
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

2018 RT, Android Version 8........SENA SMH5...........BRP Connect installed on phone........

After getting my phone paired to the bike and the SENA also, BRP dropped the ball. I can run anything through my phone and it comes out the bike speakers. I can run anything through my phone and it comes out the helmet speakers.

FOR THE LIFE OF ME WHY DID BRP MAKE IT SO THE FM RADIO AND AUX DON'T BLUETOOTH TO THE HEAD SET THAT IS CONNECTED. Dashboard says "FM and Aux not available through BT headset". What's the use of pairing it??

2018 Spyder RT
    Custom Pinstriping by Fastripe.com see video @ https://www.dropbox.com/s/5icsez0g0w...iping.mp4?dl=0
    18" floor boards
    Ram mount phone X holder
    Ram mount cup holder

Spyder Garage

Completely unimpressed with BRP Connect, wish there was a way to go back to last years system. Maybe the new update, 20.3, will fix/include Bluetooth.....hopefull but not putting money on it. Why did BRP go this route vice Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. I had a 2018 Goldwing and thought Honda screwed up, wrong.............
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McClendons View Post
    Completely unimpressed with BRP Connect, wish there was a way to go back to last years system. Maybe the new update, 20.3, will fix/include Bluetooth.....hopefull but not putting money on it. Why did BRP go this route vice Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. I had a 2018 Goldwing and thought Honda screwed up, wrong.............
    My only thought is that a firmware upgrade won't make the BT work with the radio if it doesn't have the connection built in. I am afraid that's hardware not firmware........

2018 Spyder RT
    Custom Pinstriping by Fastripe.com see video @ https://www.dropbox.com/s/5icsez0g0w...iping.mp4?dl=0
    18" floor boards
    Ram mount phone X holder
    Ram mount cup holder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ride2GetHigh View Post
    What's the use of pairing it??
    Because they are obviously stupid and released a product that was not ready.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ride2GetHigh View Post
    My only thought is that a firmware upgrade won't make the BT work with the radio if it doesn't have the connection built in. I am afraid that's hardware not firmware........
    Possible, but I can't believe that BRP/Bosch engineers would be that stupid. Given that both share the same amplifiers and same software, it would have to have been an intentional decision not to put FM/AUX into the hardware path......and I can come up with no reason that ANYONE would have made that decision. If the case, I would hope that BRP would retrofit each and every bike with an acceptable replacement for BRP (DOES NOT) Connect. Know that will never happen, but I have an RT who's radio functions no better than a Rykers. A recommendation I was given, use the FM in my sena.......... I had a chance to pick up a 2017 new in my favorite color, at less $$$, and beginning to think I made a bad decision.

Am really hopeful 20.3 will resolve the issues I am having, including the lack of Bluetooth capability.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Samsung has had problems in the past with overheating...
    My LG G5 worked just fine...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black