Spyder Garage

Smile modify an RTS left body panel

I am planning a trip to Inuvik NWT this summer and I am concerned about picking up stones in the drive belt. I have been looking for a reasonably priced left body panel that I would like to modify to give me easy fast access to the drive belt. I was thinking of cutting the panel then making new tabs and gluing them on with ABS glue. I figure I could make it look almost undetectable and keep the orig look. Just don't want to have to strip the left side off to pick a stone out of the front drive sprocket in Mosquito country. I know Can Am is not an off rd bike, but sometimes you have to travel gravel rds.
    Be nice if Can Am would incorporate a split let body panel in their design, or make it an option.

Anyone considered or tried a project like this?
    Tks Jack

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I made my own belt guard that attached to the OEM panel inside. So far my belt and sprockets are fine …… Getting the Spyder as far off the ground was key to fitting the guard, so it was very close to the belt but not touching ….. there are no pics …… Mike

Spyder Garage

There is a belt guard made that is supposed to do a pretty good job of keeping the belt safe. I think that it was Spyderpops but not sure. Someone else will know.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Hey 10 4 guys. I am making an inquiry to this co now, All the comments seem to be very positive for this item
    Tks Jack

Spyder Garage

Also Roadster Renovations has an Air Ryde Rock Armor air bag protector. It's a specially sized sturdy rubber cup that goes under the airbag and prevents rock chips from getting under or in the bottom fold of the air bag and causing a leak.
    I put both on my '13 RT so I could do some serious dirt/gravel road trips last year with ultimate plans of following your trail even. I understand the road is much improved and was even considering heading further north to Tuktoyaktuk, NWT. But we planned on doing that ride with two Spyders and a support truck toting extra fuel and emergency supplies. Same with the Haul road to Deadhorse, AK.
    Got lot's of negative responses that it would kill my Spyder (dirt / grit clogging up the wheel speed sensors, etc.) But I've done the dirt roads in from Canada to Angle Inlet MN and back, and we did dirt mountain road / 2 tracks down in Tennessee / western North Carolina area in the rains and had no negative issues. The dirt roads into Angle Inlet often looked like the Innuvik - Tuktoyaktuk highway, just no where near as long.

PS, since the OP has a 2014 rt ltd shouldn't this be in an RT subgroup?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020