Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Co2 cartridge

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Co2 cartridge

For those of you that have inflated a Spyder tire using a Co2 cartridge ….. What size did you use and how many cartridges did it take.….. This seems like the way to go, instead of having to carry an air compressor ….. Even the smallest ones take up a bit of space, and can & do break ….. Not so with a cartridge ……….Thanks Mike ……..Happy New Year

Spyder Garage

I have considered this but never did it yet, why not simply adapt a few added fittings, some electrical to override the system and use the Spyders onboard compressor.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike
    You could probably pick up a larger Co2 tank (like the ones used by all of those paintballers), and adapt that to the task...
    It would save on carrying a whole bunch of those little ones!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It will take 4-6 cartridges to fill the tire depending on the size of tire. About 4-5 psi per cartridge.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    It will take 4-6 cartridges to fill the tire depending on the size of tire. About 4-5 psi per cartridge.
    So this will all depend on your choice of tire pressures? I smell a heated debate coming!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    So this will all depend on your choice of tire pressures? I smell a heated debate coming!
    I would think that if you are having to use a co2 catridge, it is a sort of emergency situation. If that is the case, you only need enough psi to make the tire roundish again. 10 would be plenty enough to do that. I had a nail in the rear of my M109 tire and the psi was down to 5. Normal pressure on that is 42 (not as much of a debate as it seems to be on here for a spyder tire). But with 5 psi, I had enough to make it home safely.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Mike,
    look at bike sales places like JP Cycles or big Bike parts they have a kit with two large cylinders and valve adapters.
    Comes in compact carry case. Might not fully in flate rear tire but should be enough to get you out of trouble.
    Happy New Year
    dave

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by yellowperil View Post
    Mike,
    look at bike sales places like JP Cycles or big Bike parts they have a kit with two large cylinders and valve adapters.
    Comes in compact carry case. Might not fully in flate rear tire but should be enough to get you out of trouble.
    Happy New Year
    dave
    Thanks for the responses ......To answer all the above ……. Yes this will be for emergency use ie. after fixing a flat ….. I agree, I will only need to pressure the tire enough to get to a gas station ….. I found a valve for $3.75 delivered and Co2 20gram cartridges for $3.00 ea ..delivered ………………. Now I want to know How Many and What size someone used to actually do this …….Thanks again All ….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My BMW came with 3 cartridges in the tool kit. I would think any BMW dealer would have them. If I remember correctly, size was about 3 1/2" - 4" long and a diameter of about an index finger. I know this isn't the best description, but at the moment, it's all I got. cueman

Spyder Garage

On my bikes I carried this, used once it worked very well although I didn’t have to use CO2 cartridge due to someone having portable air compressor

https://www.stopngo.com/pocket-tire-...ubeless-tires/

Spyder Garage

I used to carry a CO2 cartridge repair kit, the one time I needed it the first patch didn't seal the tire and by the time I realized it I didn't have enough cartridges to fill it up. I use a small elec pump now.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

IMO, if one chooses to use a CO2 system one should also factor in the number of cartridges some extras that may have to be expended in hunting for and finding the leak before one plugs it. Based on decades of bicycling and many tens of thousands of miles I also would not give up carrying another source of air. I've been on a number of rides wherein a rider with a pump bailed out another who ran into the, "aw, my CO2 system failed" problem. Carrying enough cartridges to just get it round enough may be unwise if the nearest location of an air pump is big double or triple digit miles away, like on US-285 in NM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    IMO, if one chooses to use a CO2 system one should also factor in the number of cartridges some extras that may have to be expended in hunting for and finding the leak before one plugs it. Based on decades of bicycling and many tens of thousands of miles I also would not give up carrying another source of air. I've been on a number of rides wherein a rider with a pump bailed out another who ran into the, "aw, my CO2 system failed" problem. Carrying enough cartridges to just get it round enough may be unwise if the nearest location of an air pump is big double or triple digit miles away, like on US-285 in NM.
    Oh yeah...Sit, watch and wait as the rider or sometimes tandem bicycle team tries to repair a flat tire. Sometimes I just watch, other times just refuse be waiting 20 minutes as the person fumbles around. Always exciting watching another person blow the tire right off the rim.

Spyder Garage

Default Here's what I carry...

I carry the mushroom plug kit that comes with two large capasity co2 shots and a couple extra. I have never had to use it but did back home on the off road vehicles and they worked fine. Two will get you off the ground keep the others in case or if the next station is close use a bit more... you know we grew up using a good old fashion hand pump and got us out of trouble many times.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a good idea to practice the procedure before actually needing to do it. Then you will know how many cartridges to make sure you have with you.

I hate it when stuff happens, and the fix does not work.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Mike, where did you find the valves and cartridges for that price?

Thanks
    Rick
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

IMG_9195.jpg screw the CO2 carry your active membership card & the cell phone you probably already have, & roadside assistance can be on the way with fix & or tow if more is needed, definitely smaller to carry possibly cheaper too&ALL the other PERKS

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Oh yeah...Sit, watch and wait as the rider or sometimes tandem bicycle team tries to repair a flat tire. Sometimes I just watch, other times just refuse be waiting 20 minutes as the person fumbles around. Always exciting watching another person blow the tire right off the rim.
    It's really a side show with tandem teams, twice as many kibitzers -- been there, done that.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    IMG_9195.jpg screw the CO2 carry your active membership card & the cell phone you probably already have, & roadside assistance can be on the way with fix & or tow if more is needed, definitely smaller to carry possibly cheaper too&ALL the other PERKS
    Great idea, unless you're out in the middle of the dessert in NM, ID, AZ, WY, or who knows how many other places 100 miles from civilization, let alone a m/c or tire dealer!

My thought about CO2 vs compressor. One has a limited supply for replenishment. The other has an unlimited supply!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Great idea, unless you're out in the middle of the dessert in NM, ID, AZ, WY, or who knows how many other places 100 miles from civilization, let alone a m/c or tire dealer!

My thought about CO2 vs compressor. One has a limited supply for replenishment. The other has an unlimited supply!
    And don't forget the Alaska boonies. Soon, we will be 1000 miles from the nearest dealer.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    And don't forget the Alaska boonies. Soon, we will be 1000 miles from the nearest dealer.
    Yeah, BRP needs to reevaluate their criteria for dealerships in lesser populated regions.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post

Here's ( to me anyway ) the most important thing about using Co2 cartridges. It's for Emergency use ONLY. I've been driving 100's of various veh's during my 71 yrs of life ( maybe 3,000,000 miles )….. I have had only ….. ONE .…. flat tire ..… ( I shouldn't have said this because I'll immed. get one ) … and you aren't always near a " service area " …… I'm NOT saying this is the best idea only that it is an idea that to me is a sensible alternative ….. Thanks … Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rtotten View Post
    Mike, where did you find the valves and cartridges for that price?

Thanks
    Rick
    I sent you a PM with the best prices I found ( with free shipping ) …… Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You could also use the onboard compressor if you have an RT with compressor built in. Just need a hose to attach under the seat and to the tire. Leave bike running and in gear with brake on. It will fill your tire.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    You could also use the onboard compressor if you have an RT with compressor built in. Just need a hose to attach under the seat and to the tire. Leave bike running and in gear with brake on. It will fill your tire.
    I don't have that option …………. Thanks …. Mike