Thread: L/H cargo box.

Spyder Garage

Default L/H cargo box.

On my 2016 Rt. inside the left side cargo box is a moulded intrusion that takes up a lot of space. I believe that on earlier models the battery was fitted behind it. Has anyone cut this part out and refitted it turned around to give back the full box volume. I realise that this will not be easy or very pretty as it will have to be glassed back in. But if anyone has tried this, any tips would be invaluable.
    Thanks,
    Alan.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flier Tuck View Post
    On my 2016 Rt. inside the left side cargo box is a moulded intrusion that takes up a lot of space. I believe that on earlier models the battery was fitted behind it. Has anyone cut this part out and refitted it turned around to give back the full box volume. I realise that this will not be easy or very pretty as it will have to be glassed back in. But if anyone has tried this, any tips would be invaluable.
    Thanks,
    Alan.
    There was a pretty healthy discussion about this earlier in the year. Try doing a search for that thread.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I agree with Pete's comment. IMO it is a PITA to lose that space but from a practical viewpoint it's easier to look at the "stuff" one takes on trips or carries on the bike as a matter of course but doesn't use and just eliminate it.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The best solution may be "soft" luggage liners for the saddlebags.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-30-2018 at 05:01 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I tried hard to get the bump out.I pulled the panels off and found that there are important things behind that bump that may be able to be moved but even if you did its gonna be tough.My next idea was to heat the bump and push it in,that did work on the right side and I am now able to put my modular helmet in there,but on the left side it just wouldn't move.If someone manages to do this they will be able to pack a sandwich or a deck of cards.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

would think that someone could cut out the old batter area in the case , put some sort of super glue epoxy with a black plastic insert , the cut out is up and back so would not be too awful looking ( cut a piece of plastic the same size as the hole , and use a little larger piece for the outer shell , too hold the correct piece in place ) usually sounds easier than done !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    I tried hard to get the bump out.I pulled the panels off and found that there are important things behind that bump that may be able to be moved but even if you did its gonna be tough.....
    Yeah, that wiring & stuff that is in that gap does make it a bit annoying, but you can fairly easily re-arrange it out of the way.... but after looking at how difficult it'd be to remove the intrusion into the pannier space, I decided to go the other way! I cut the flat placcy cover under the seat, hinged & latched it, drilled a finger sized hole as a handle, & made a 'drop in box' to go in the remaining space so I can use it as an 'under seat small valuables & tools' hidey hole! While it's already got a base & 2 sides formed by the bulge in the pannier, you do hafta fit the other sides for it & seal them to the base, cos the void behind the bulge is open into the wheel well & anything small you put in there can get really dirty or wet, or even fall out as you're ryding along (do you really need to ask how I know this?!?) Still, it's not hard to do, didn't take 30 mins to do once I'd planned it all out, and now that 'void space' is put to good use!

And a small elaccy strap fitted across the inside of the pannier under the bulge holds a little bag with a litre of gas, some top up oil, & a sml bottle of brake fluid in it hard up against the back wall of the pannier, underneath & to the rear of the bulge. It's almost like it was made to fit that stuff! There's even room for a little collapsible funnel in there, & the skinny 'luggage bag' still fits into the pannier with that stuff tucked away behind it. Works for me!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I decided to go the other way! I cut the flat placcy cover under the seat, hinged & latched it, drilled a finger sized hole as a handle, & made a 'drop in box' to go in the remaining space so I can use it as an 'under seat small valuables & tools' hidey hole!
    That's a great idea. I'll have to think about. That would a good place to carry items you want for those few times you want them, but don't need to get to them on a regular basis!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default L/H cargo box.

Thanks to all for replies. I think I will go in from under the seat to see how much of the bulge I can remove, without having to move any wires. If it looks worth while I will cut out what I can, and then make a shaped plastic or alloy blanking plate.

Spyder Garage

^^^^^-- and then post some pics please

Spyder Garage

You would think that after 6 years that BRP would've remolded that side.
    Bob, k7xi. 2013 RTL

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by k7xi View Post
    You would think that after 6 years that BRP would've remolded that side.
    They could....however the Bean counters would have a stroke …………. Mike