Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

We regularly check the belt when doing an alignment. We have found 18’s with no cotter pin. As a result, we put a new one in. Cheap insurance and piece of mind. Any Home Depot has them. Ride safe!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Our 2015 RTS SE6 Special Series has a tow hitch with a castle nut and a cotter pin. We bought it used last Nov.
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

My trailer hitch was installed by the dealer before I took delivery of a new 2018 RT-L. I removed it for the first time the other day getting the Spyder ready for a rear tire swap. Much to my surprise not only was there no cotter pin, but the axle nut and washer were missing! After 8,000 miles, apparently the only thing securing the rear wheel was the trailer hitch. Metric nuts that size are not easy to find. Found one finally at a hardware specialty store. The dealer then installed the correct nut and washer.
    Another thing I found interesting is the cotter pin hole. It is drilled through only one side of the hollow axle shaft. I couldn't run a cotter pin all the way through if I wanted to. If I decide to run without the trailer hitch and feel that the cotter pin is necessary, I'll probably drill through the other side. Anyone else out there have a similar occurrence?

Spyder Garage

My 2018 RTL has no cotter pin from the factory. In fact, it has only one side drilled where the cotter pin is supposed to go. I have considered finishing the drill job and installing one. Anyone else seen this?
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by amkrat View Post
    My trailer hitch was installed by the dealer before I took delivery of a new 2018 RT-L. I removed it for the first time the other day getting the Spyder ready for a rear tire swap. Much to my surprise not only was there no cotter pin, but the axle nut and washer were missing! After 8,000 miles, apparently the only thing securing the rear wheel was the trailer hitch. Metric nuts that size are not easy to find. Found one finally at a hardware specialty store. The dealer then installed the correct nut and washer.
    Another thing I found interesting is the cotter pin hole. It is drilled through only one side of the hollow axle shaft. I couldn't run a cotter pin all the way through if I wanted to. If I decide to run without the trailer hitch and feel that the cotter pin is necessary, I'll probably drill through the other side. Anyone else out there have a similar occurrence?
    Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    My 2018 RTL has no cotter pin from the factory. In fact, it has only one side drilled where the cotter pin is supposed to go. I have considered finishing the drill job and installing one. Anyone else seen this?
    Interestingly, the parts diagram for the 2018 does not show a cotter pin like the older years do. It's either an oversight during the design of the 2018 or BRP decided it's not needed. The parts diagram for the 2019 doesn't show a cotter pin either. 2017 & earlier show the cotter pin. The axle part number has remained the same though. This is a question for BRPCare to answer.

Something is fishy. Since the part number is the same the axle should be the same which means it should be drilled all the way through. If the axle was intentionally changed to eliminate the cotter pin then the part # should have been changed.

I suggest you both make sure the dealer is aware of this, AND that they report it to BRP. Ask to see the answer from BRP.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Not on the Spyder, but the same principal..............

I got a custom axle for a springer front end and it came with fancy chrome acorn nuts. I took the acorn nuts off and put castle nuts on it, then drilled the axle for cotter pins. Not as purdy as the chrome acorn nuts, but I feel better riding it. It was kind of surprising how easy it was to drill the axle.

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver