Spyder Garage

Default Some F3 rear tire selection insights.

Here is some information that I would like to share with the crowd about my experience when I replaced the rear tire on my 2016 F3 Ltd. Take it for what it’s worth for your own enjoyment. As everyone does, I searched on here and read all about what to look for and to avoid in selecting a tire. I ended up ordering three different tires from Walmart to see what they looked like. I tried going to the local tire outlets, but nobody had the sizes in stock to look at. I wanted to visually inspect each tire and take measurements to see how they compared to the stock tire. Once they came in I measured each one, then selected one to keep and returned the other two without any problems.

I ordered these three and here are the measurements of each tire carcass (un-mounted).
    Kumho Solus TA11, 215/60R15 94T BSW ($69.93), 75K tread wear. Dia: 24 1/2, Width: 8 1/2, Rim: 6 1/2
    Solar 4XS 215/60R15 94H BSW ($52.66), 45K tread wear. Dia: 24 1/2, Width: 8.0, Rim: 5 3/8
    Solar 4XS Plus 215/60R15 94H ($50.59), 45K tread wear. Dia: 24 3/8, Width: 8 1/2., Rim: 6.0

I ended up selecting the Kumho Solus TA11 because the rim (bead) width better matched the rim size (7.0) of the wheel and I assumed less bulging would occur. The tire fit perfectly with the clearance between the belt and the tire side wall being the same as on the original Kenda tire. The slightly larger diameter corrected the speedometer by ~1 to 1 ½ MPH according to the GPS. I had my local motorcycle shop mount and balance (bubble, smooth at 80 MPH) the tire for $35.00. I needed to buy a ½ drive torque wrench ($18.00 @ Harbor Freight) and removed and re-installed the wheel myself. So, for about $135 dollars I had a new tire. The Kenda goes for ~$230.00 + mounting, big savings. I did notice when removing the tire is that you don’t need to remove the optical pickup for the ABS on the brake plate. As long as you’re careful to tie up the caliper and plate to take the stain off them they’re OK. Just don't twist anything.

OK, now the results. Two weeks after installing the new tire I took a 1500-mile trip from Melbourne FL to Maggie Valley NC for a COG rally. It’s about 632 miles each way. Two days up and one long day back. Anyway, once the tire got roughened up after the first day in the mountains the traction was pretty good. I could break the rear free on tight corners but normally it would just push me through the traction of the front tires (they slid, and I would go wide). I was running about 17 PSI on the fronts, but now realize I should have had them at 15 PSI which would have given me better traction. Overall, next time I will go with a shorter life tire (45K) which should have a softer rubber. The 75K tire is a little too hard but should last me forever. When I first mounted the tire and went for a ride, I was able to smoke them throughout 1st gear with a nice fishtail then chirp them in second. The glaze is gone now but I can still break them free. It never rained so I don’t know how the wet traction would have been. It should be better as the tread profile is much better than the Kenda’s.

So, food for thought for the next person looking for a tire.
    Life is attitude, be positive!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I wish you All the best with your choice ...……. I wouldn't buy that tire , but I guess you already know that …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Just be careful when you first take the Kuhmo in the wet, Always. Quite a few in the US have reported less than great handling, but I don’t know what psi they were running. The Kuhmo out here in Aus works well in the rain, so maybe there’s a different bitumen makeup?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red