Spyder Garage

Default USB port for F3S

I am looking at adding a port for my phone to charge while I am riding. I went riding a few months back and didn't plan appropriately. Came close to running out of gas (found gas station in time and filled up), had 9% phone battery left (text husband that I would be home when I figured out how to get home), got a general direction of the closest major highway and followed it to where I knew back roads to get home. Loved my adventure and promissed my husband I would go out with a full tank and full charge in the future. I have but would like to use my phone for a map if needed.
    So, my question is where have you added yours and is there a specific brand that you have used that is easy to install? I have installed a tender and the port for my heated gear. Just would like some suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Gwenn

Spyder Garage

This is what I use. I am not thrilled with it since if I am running my GPS it will charge my phone maybe 20% over several hours. I am very skeptical it will charge a tablet. But the price was right and I have no plans to replacing it if there is something better. Also my last one could not keep up with my phone in GPS mode and would discharge 5% per hour, though. I do not know if that is because it was on a different motorcycle. https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...cycle+usb+port

Spyder Garage

If you're looking on Amazon, here's a marine USB from Blue Sea - I've used their electrical parts on motorcycles for decades, it's generally good gear. This one outputs 2.1 amps; that will charge your phone as fast as your home or car chargers.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Amazon has hundreds to choose from. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...let+waterproof

You could also get an auxiliary battery or jump starter to charge your battery.https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...let+waterproof

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...t+battery+pack
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I have that for my motorcycle, however, like you said it doesn't charge fast enough to keep the phone in GPS mode. I do have a tender set up for the my F3S and keep it plugged in at night or when I can't ride like the last 6 weeks due to a broken ankle. Now that it is on the mend and I want to ride longer distances I need a charger port.
    Thanks!

Spyder Garage

That is good to know! I have one in the basket and will keep looking to see if there is anything that maybe a better fit for the F3S.
    Thanks!

Spyder Garage

I do have a jump starter that I keep charged and in the saddlebag when I ride just for that purpose. I like the port that you have suggested and that it comes with the wiring to get it wired to the battery. It is in my cart and will probably be the one that I go with!
    Thank you for your suggestions!

Spyder Garage

High Amp output of the port is the feature you need.
    I have a 2.1A and it keeps the phone and my MP3 player charged.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Generic USB ports are notoriously slow chargers.
    I have one of these hidden in my glove box.
    >CLICK ME<

one can mount one of these in the access panel.
    >CLICK ME<

fast Charger for droid
    >CLICK ME<
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

This is what I just ordered and at 2.4 amps per outlet should keep things fully charged while driving.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2015 F3 S SE6 , Stock Red

Spyder Garage

Thank you!