Spyder Garage

Default MISSING OR SKIPPING

I have a friend that bought a used 2014 RT SM6 in the spring with 6000 miles on it. He has put about 250 miles on it so far. He started it up several days ago and it started missing or skipping at idle. When he revs it up to 2000 rpm or more, it smooths out. It won't die at idle but does the missing, skipping sound. He did check for bad gas and the gas is fine. Battery checks out OK, too. Any ideas?
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Been in storage way too much. Get it on the road and do a 70MPH tune up..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking.....

give it a good run but start by checking the air intake possibly the fuel filter but does sound like what he said....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    I have a friend that bought a used 2014 RT SM6 in the spring with 6000 miles on it. He has put about 250 miles on it so far. He started it up several days ago and it started missing or skipping at idle. When he revs it up to 2000 rpm or more, it smooths out. It won't die at idle but does the missing, skipping sound. He did check for bad gas and the gas is fine. Battery checks out OK, too. Any ideas?
    " He did check for Bad gas " ….. how was this accomplished ???? ………….. very Old gas will loose it's Octane rating / level etc. ….. but I don't think it will get low enough in 6 mos. to cause this ………….. Have Him check the battery connections for tightness ….. Have Him re-move the terminals clean and put Internal tooth STAR washers on before re-assembling …. 24 hrs on a Battery MAINTAINER won't hurt either ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Make sure some critter hasn't made a home in the air box.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Jim is right
    it needs to be ridden, maybe a shot of SeaFoam and then a good long ride.
    Starting in the garage doesn't do much.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

if this problem still exist , after a good running , and higher octane gas added , you might be in for new plugs , and possibly the vacuum lines from the throttle body ... ( those little ones ,about 3 inches long ---2 of them ... ) his might be just enough worn on the ends at the connections too let air pass ... ( just a thought , hope just running her out in the wide open highway will do it )

Spyder Garage

I’m not sure about the 2014 RT’s but when I had some problems w my 2018 RT, first thing everyone told me to do was check the oil. Not sure if this applies to this situation however that was the advice I was given, I didn’t see it mentioned above so thought I’d throw it in the ring.
    Also, when I was at my dealer there was a customer complaining about the same thing on his Ninja. Long story short, he was using lowest octane gas and wasn’t riding much. Dealer told him to use highest octane. They were so certain of that, they didn’t even charge him for looking at it. High octane is the way to go.
    Last thing-my boat mechanic told me that gas companies change the gas this time of year (due to weather). Gasoline is “better” during the summer months and worse for boats this time of year. From the year 2000 to about 2005 I’d fill my boat gas tank up before storage (to prevent moisture build up). But for the past few years I was told it’s better to run the boat till empty (or close to it) before taking it out of the water for storage.
    Maybe start by using battery tender, topping off w some new, 91-93 octane gas w some Seafoam, go for a good, hard ride. Then check oil after the ride. If that doesn’t work, do the more labor intensive advice mentioned above (plugs,filters,vacuum lines etc). I’ve also read on this forum that it’s not good for Spyders to just start them during the winter, without going for a ride.
    Good luck, pls report back after trying all the advice from everyone above my post. Would be good to know what fixes it.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Spyder Garage

My friend did siphon all the gas out and filled with fresh gas. I will ask him what octane gas he used. Will also have him tighten battery terminals and check the oil. Do the 1330 engines use the same vacuum hoses as the 998’s?
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I would be leaning towards moisture in the fuel. Like others have said, fill with fresh fuel and some fuel treatment and take for a good ride.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

I have had good luck with sea-foam, drop a can of it in, will not hurt and run it down the road! Good luck, you can not let this gas we are getting sit around.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

You didn't mention if the check engine lite was on,if it was this may point to the problem.If the engine is truly misfiring then the lite will come on.If its just a rough idle then I agree with others that say ,seafoam and drive thru that tank and refill.I doubt that sitting for 6 months will cause the gas to go bad but I had a similar problem with my boat when the gas was 2 years old and seafoam fixed that.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

The 1330 engine does not have the vacuum hoses like the 998 v-twin

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He did check for bad gas and the gas is fine.
    How do you "check for bad gas" ??

My friend did siphon all the gas out and filled with fresh gas.
    It is almost impossible to get ALL of the gas out of a tank by siphoning. There may still be "stuff" left in the bottom.

I suggest a healthy dose of a name brand multi-purpose fuel system cleaner first.
    Might be something in there that his "check" missed......or an injector might be sticking.

OR he might just have too much of some gas additive in there already. Mine did that when I had too much fuel stabilizer in it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I have had good luck with sea-foam, drop a can of it in, will not hurt and run it down the road!

A can of SeaFoam is intended to be used in a minimum of about 15 gallons of gas......so a whole can in a Spyder is way too much.
    And too much can MAKE it run bad sometimes.