Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Child swipes F3

Spyder Garage

Default Child swipes F3

Oh my. Dad saw the bike moving, tried to grab it, & by then he was along for the ride. Other news report saying both are ok. Minor injuries (with the exception of the bike. It hit a wall at speed & it's toast).

https://wsvn.com/news/local/3-year-o...ne-miami-dade/

Spyder Garage

Watched that video several times. A lot of things just don't add up.... how does a 3-year old start an F3 by herself? Starting process requires 4 separate steps using thumbs of both hands in proper sequence. Did the little kid learn that? or was the Spyder already running when she climbed on, or was placed on? Also, must already have been in gear and then she twisted the throttle pretty wide. ... If it wasn't already running and already in gear, is someone suggesting that a 3-year old is big enough to reach her leg down, apply brake with right foot while using SE shift with left thumb. OR, if it's a manual shift, are they trying to convince us the 3-year old operated brake, clutch and shift - a lot of strength and coordination needed from a little kid. And why does the Spyder seem to continue at speed without any apparent occupant until it crashes, heavily, and flips. Did the throttle jam? How? ... Lots of unknowns here. Lots of incredible factors and sequences. Maybe more than a few human errors or some negligence/carelessness. Thankfully, it seems there were only minor injuries to the persons involved; the Spyder wasn't quite as fortunate. Incredible!!!
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Watched that video several times. A lot of things just don't add up.... how does a 3-year old start an F3 by herself? Starting process requires 4 separate steps using thumbs of both hands in proper sequence. Did the little kid learn that? or was the Spyder already running when she climbed on, or was placed on? Also, must already have been in gear and then she twisted the throttle pretty wide. ... If it wasn't already running and already in gear, is someone suggesting that a 3-year old is big enough to reach her leg down, apply brake with right foot while using SE shift with left thumb. OR, if it's a manual shift, are they trying to convince us the 3-year old operated brake, clutch and shift - a lot of strength and coordination needed from a little kid. And why does the Spyder seem to continue at speed without any apparent occupant until it crashes, heavily, and flips. Did the throttle jam? How? ... Lots of unknowns here. Lots of incredible factors and sequences. Maybe more than a few human errors or some negligence/carelessness. Thankfully, it seems there were only minor injuries to the persons involved; the Spyder wasn't quite as fortunate. Incredible!!!
    ...…….. and after Her parents " lawyer up " ( and they will since child protective services are involved ) - what really happened won't ever be known …..jmho ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I too watched this a couple of times. It looks like the child was thrown off the back-right side of the bike while the father was in the front and hanging off the left side. Story doesn't match the video
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Thought that too. Negligence/carelessness is the perfect term. Too much involved otherwise.

Spyder Garage

Geeeez, Mike. You are a faster typer than I am. But, we do agree. Happy New Year my friend..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Oh yea, this is all about the lawyers. First thing that struck me odd was the cop saying everyone was inside then heard the motorcycle rev up so they went outside. Maybe... if the Spyder was parked close to the house, every window was open, no music/tv/noise of people talking going on inside..... I always pull my Spyder in the garage, kids bedrooms are above garage and no one has ever heard me pull in.
    CPS...... yup, that’s the last we will hear about this story. Wonder how much money will be in the settlement. I think we all know that Can Am is gonna impound that F3 and go over every piece of data they can pull from the computer.
    I don’t know anything about this case except for what we all saw in the video. W that said, I’d say 100% of the blame is on the parents, not BRP. That news didn’t make it to NY, if anyone hears any updates, pls share.
    Very weird.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Spyder Garage

Is it really that hard to see. The adult rider pulled up the his home or family's home, left the bike running while he ran inside, the child outside playing climbed on the bike and happened to hit the parking brake button allowing the bike to move. Rider came out to stop it but it was too late. Sometime you guys over analyze things. These machines are very easy to operate, just twist and go is what we tell people to describe how easy it is to ride. That's what happened here, nothing more. Very unfortunate but at least no one was seriously injured. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
    Is it really that hard to see. The adult rider pulled up the his home or family's home, left the bike running while he ran inside, the child outside playing climbed on the bike and happened to hit the parking brake button allowing the bike to move. Rider came out to stop it but it was too late. Sometime you guys over analyze things. These machines are very easy to operate, just twist and go is what we tell people to describe how easy it is to ride. That's what happened here, nothing more. Very unfortunate but at least no one was seriously injured. Chris
    But it’s fun to analyze things, at least it’s fun for me.lol. If your scenario is correct, that would mean the guy left it running, in gear w parking break on. In that video it’s clear that the Spyder wasn’t just rolling down the street, it had to be in gear. I think the parents thought it would be cute to put her on and take some pics or something, then it took off. But the main question is how was it in gear w no parking break on. Yes I agree it’s possible she hit the parking break button, but it had to be in gear since it dragged the father. I feel it’s parental neglect, they don’t wanna be charged/jailed so they made up that story. My 10 year old can’t start my Spyder. Over the holidays I had a 2 year old on my Spyder for pics. Even turned it on so she can see the lights/rev it etc. My son nor the 2 year old could reach the break, I believe the F3’s will not start unless break peddle is pressed.
    Guess we’ll never know but imo it was parental neglect not the fault of BRP/Can Am. I’d love to hear more news about this.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
    100%. It is also possible that the owner didn't have the bike in gear. If the bike is running, and even on the slightest of incline, the parking brake does not have to be set in order for the bike to sit still until gas is given. Yes, it is irresponsible for someone to do that, but I could see it happen. All it would take is for the 3 year old to get on and twist the throttle. No, it is not BRP's fault, but has anyone tried to say that it is BRP's fault? This doesn't even take a detective or lawyer. Just someone with common knowledge of how the bike works.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Good thing it wasn’t a Ryker! Daddy never would of caught it! Just saw this same post/video on Facebook. Guess it’s possible that we will find out more eventually.

Spyder Garage

Default This incident

To further fan the flames on this ….. I couldn't tell if that F-3 was a Manual or SE , and it makes a big difference …. as Black Lightning said the SE can be left IDLING in gear without it moving , when I stop at my garage door ( to open it manually ) I usually leave running without the brake ON. But it is in Neutral … The SE can't go into gear without the Brake applied. Considering the average size of 99% of THREE year old children I think it stretches belief that ALL the things that had to occur in order for that Spyder to move - Happened...….. In my former life I was an Accident Re-constructionist, and imho one or more Adults made some Bad decisions prior to the *hit hitting the fan.....Could the father actually been on the Spyder with the child at the time it took off ???? ………. But again I don't think the truth will ever come out on this one ……. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post
    But the main question is how was it in gear w no parking break on.
    Easy. If you have an SE transmission, try it.
    No problem at all.
    After all, that is how you sit waiting for a traffic light to change.......all the time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is another scenario. Dad was showing his 3 year old his spyder(his new christmas gift?) and let his 3 year old sit on it while it was running and he was standing next to it. Being new to a spyder, he didn't realize it was in gear. The 3 year old twisted the throttle and away we go with dad in tow, hanging onto the back of the spyder. It makes more sense to me, but just an idea.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Looks to me like the 'Dad' has a helmet and full gear on in the video. The article says the family was in the house when they heard the motorcycle revving up. You don't usually find people hanging out inside a house with a helmet on. And I'm sure you don't put your helmet on in a situation like this. And the dad would have had to get to the Spyder in pretty short order. The speed it was traveling he would never have caught up to it if it had been more than a few seconds window between the rev and the exit of the vehicle.

They don't say anything about the Spyder starting up. Only that it was revving up. It had to be running and it had to be on the street (curbside). There is no way this 3 year old is going to back down a driveway and then get it into forward gear.

There is much smell of fish in the back story on this one.

The more likely scenario is that the 3 year old was placed on the Spyder (pretty common) with it running and ready to go. Maybe the dad was going to get on (or was in the process of getting on) to give the kit a short ride (kid in front) when the child cranked the throttle and took off. All the dad could do was hang on. This makes a lot more sense to me.

Update:

Joel The Biker - Phone rang mid-post and didn't see yours until I posted mine. Looks like we came to pretty much the same conclusion separately. In line with your post. It may be that the dad even had her twist the throttle to rev the bike up and make some noise. In any case. He had to be very close to that Spyder to have had any chance of being where he was when it went across the intersection.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 12-28-2018 at 11:51 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes...!!!

lot of good points made above...sure glad they both made it out with minor injuries... sure hope it ends here
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    lot of good points made above...sure glad they both made it out with minor injuries... sure hope it ends here
    I agree that this had about as happy an ending as it could have under the circumstances. And I agree that this is the most important portion of the story. It is also the only settled portion. Yet I hope we can all come away with a bit of education that will help to avoid anything like this happening to us. My point was that the original story is not helpful. Probably because it is not true. Putting a more likely chain of events together is important for this reason. Not just to satisfy the imagination.

In the end, your point is well stated and well taken.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I tend to agree with Baja Rons story. The Dad most probablly put his daughter in the front and he was sitting on the passenger seat. He most probably did not think threw what he was doing and could not stop it from the rear passenger seat. The video shows the kid flying off then what appears to look like the dad flew off the other side passenger seat right after that. He made up the story to appease the police and insurance.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I am thinking the scenarios about the Spyder running and in gear are close to what "really" happened.

Parent screwed up and is now trying to cover his tracks. Just MHO.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

With nearly 8 decades of misspent life behind me, I have concluded that nothing is "impossible" any more; however, lots of things are highly improbable - - a 3-year old starting up and/or taking off on an F3 Spyder alone, all by herself, is one of them.

We can all conjure up our own speculative scenarios. The only one that will count (truthful, fictitious or otherwise) is the one which the legal 'spinners' manage to convince earthbound authorities should prevail. Perhaps only God really knows (if you're a believer).

If I had to speculate, it would go something like this: Dad's out riding; looks like his mount is a fairly recent F3. He's proud and happy, and being admired by kid(s). In a moment of misguided enthusiasm to turn this into a 'parental teaching/learning experience' with young daughter, he decides to let her learn what it's like to be a 'big person' and share the fun. He's already on the F3; he picks up child and places her in front and astride the gas tank, where she can reach the bars. Perhaps he starts off, gets it rolling. At some point, she is allowed/encouraged to put her hands on the grips. "You drive it, honey". He removes his hands to make this possible. The kid is coaxed to twist the throttle. However, with no real sense of what it does, and no ability to comprehend the power of the 'beast' she is now in charge of, the unfortunate (but not unexpected/unforeseen) result occurs. She twists; the Spyder surges forward. She panics and grabs the throttle even tighter, causing it to twist even more. The Spyder accelerates even faster. Dad, who has his hands in the air is thrust backward with little to hang on to, and eventually slides off; the kid, hanging on for dear life to the throttle bar, and reaching as far as her little body will allow, eventually falls off. The unmanned Spyder continues until its demise. Or something along those lines. In short, my 'theory' is the parental 'show-off/give the kid a thrilling experience' format gone awry. I simply don't buy into the suggestion that "somehow the kid did this on her own" or that there is some manufacturer or product liability failure. While acting with every 'good' intention, people (including parents) can do stupid things.

It reminds me, chillingly, of the day I watched a brother-in-law put a loaded revolver in the hands of his 3-year old son, my nephew, while shooting target practice in our farm yard. His reason: he "wanted to teach the kid about guns and safety", and show him what it was all about. Insane; expecting that level of comprehension from a 3-year old???!!! (I could add, btw, that this same bro-in-law later shot himself in the leg while in his pick-up playing with that same gun; did someone say 'poetic justice'?) Same for trying to give a little kid a Spyder-driving lesson at the controls. Take 'em for a ride, sure - slowly, safely and strapped in. But not at the controls, please. And no conjured up excuses for plain adult stupidity; Pretty Please. And, yes, thankfully no serious injuries, especially for the innocent 3-year old.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Default You think....

Standard OEM 3 year old...

FB_IMG_1473628093182.jpg

Think he could ryde away....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

FB_IMG_1473628093182.jpg

Surely that's not an OEM BRP/Can-Am kid?!? I didn't think they made them like that in Canadia?!?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

FB_IMG_1473628093182.jpg

Gene if He is a relative - - He's darn cute ...…………………...Mike

Spyder Garage

He is and this one is with his brother....both will panic if I start the thing up....
    20160110_093219.jpg

My nephews...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

He is and this one is with his brother....both will panic if I start the thing up....
    20160110_093219.jpg

My nephews...
    ...……..Mike