Thread: search box

Spyder Garage

Default search box

everything else is being worked on. Maybe we can work on this to make more user friendly.
    Search for something and it's all over the place

Worst search I've used

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

Haven't been here that long but found early on that google does a better job of finding posts here. May be just not knowing how to use the search feature here...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

If you redesign vbulletin you could do that.
    2018 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

Registerd Users - Can Use Boolean Search - Yes

The Boolean search operators are and, or and not. You can use these operators to create a very broad or very narrow search. And combines search terms so that each search result contains all of the terms.

You can also wrap quotes: "search"

Search by title only - I added those chk boxes in a drop down from the main pages search box weeks ago.

Search like this: spyder+tools

Search Spyder or Spyder

Etc.....
    2018 F3 , Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    Registerd Users - Can Use Boolean Search - Yes
    I didn't realize you had implemented that. Should help quite a bit in doing searches.

bmccaffrey, One thing I do often is use Google, particularly when I really want to search on a two or three letter word which the forum search won't do. Just put the search terms in the Google box followed by site:spyderlovers.com.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

That option has always been on for users.

3 letter searching is also allowed.
    2018 F3 , Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    That option has always been on for users.

3 letter searching is also allowed.
    I'd swear I tried 3 letter searches in years past and got an error. Maybe it was just 2 letter and having not tried it for a long time it gradually morphed in my head from a 2 letter to 3 letter limitation!

As far as the Boolean option I suppose you're going to tell me if I'd read instructions I would have known!!! Are there instructions about how to use the seach feature? I just looked and don't see any!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I enabled 3 letter search when i changed the search engine program over to sphinx, as its 100x faster, also set the return limit to 500 results from i think it was 300, as sphinx can handle a lot more than SQL searching with FULTEXT indexing, should be posted in my Upgrades thread.

I can tell you that if you want?

Read the instructions Idaho, you would have known how to use the boolean search!!!

boolean searching isnt even listed in Vbulletin FAQ page.

I can allow 2 word searching with sphinx, but its going to return really bad results unless youre very specific in your search terms.
    2018 F3 , Red