Spyder Garage

Default Lamonster Gas cap review

I just did the install of the Lamonster Garage gas cap on my wifes 2018 F3T.

Upfront let me say the quality is a 10 out of 10 (as usual for Lamonster). Honestly the longest part was watching the video several times because it looked to easy.

The tool that is supplied to hold the nut was great. HOWEVER...in my case I had it a bit easier. I first took the allen wrench and turned the screw without having to fish the tool under the cap to find the screw. Then I took the took and put it under the screw as I was using the allen wrench to unscrew it. In my case it created enough pressure to keep the nut from turning and I heard the nut fall off (as in the video).

I had the same trouble fishing the new wire as Lamont did in his video but it eventually was able to be fished though. I would highly recommend a flash light that can be shined down in the hole so that you can see the fish wire.

Lastly the supplied connection nut was hard for me to use so I used a wire crimp connector with electrical tape over it.

I would highly recommend this mod. My wife has been having trouble closing her OEM gas cap and we have tried the recommendations here with limited success so Lamonster garage was the best option.

John

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I must have one of the few trouble free F3 gas caps - luckily mine closes as I expected once I figured out a system. Press down with both thumbs while sitting on the Spyder and it closes every time. Silly me - I sort of like a locking gas cap so I don't have to worry about any one tampering with the fuel supply.

Congrats on your successful replacement install.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I have 'fixed' countless non working F3 gas caps in my shop with just a shot of tri-flow in the latch mechanism. They work just fine but do require lube on the mechanical bits. Have not had a single one that did not work properly once adjusted and lubricated properly.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I agree with you. If you take time to do proper maintenance, the gas cap will work fine. I cleaned mine and made sure the spring assembly
    pushes up freely.

Spyder Garage

Revrent,

Just a note on filling with Lamont's gas cap setup. We found the only way not to get gas overflow is to insert the fuel dispenser all the way in until it stops and then slowly fill until it auto kicks off. No additional fuel can be added. We tried all differant combinations, but all resulted in fuel over the tank.
    Hope this helps!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue