Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RT comfort seat backrest access cap removal

Ready to install new backrest and need to remove the cap installed on the comfort seat. Any tricks? Worried I might break something if I pry too hard.

Spyder Garage

It just pries off - nothing to break.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take a real small screwdriver, and work it in under the cap: just off to one side of a corner... This'll give you a chance to get a feel for the size of the tabs, and how they hold things together. Once you get the first one loose: the rest will be easy!

Oh! Just make sure that you don't poke a hole in the seat with the screwdriver!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Got it, thanks. Backrest is on and feels good. Now for a ride. Seat leather kind of bunches up at the back of the backrest other than that looks good.AC7D2AD0-350A-490C-BF96-566F07342845.jpg
    06C9C653-3E46-4747-A1E1-4E60E80A63AE.jpg
    Last edited by klefty; 12-26-2018 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Add pics

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Backrest

Check and see if you didn’t install something backwards. Here is a photo of mine.

8E4D3963-CD0D-4B88-9E51-891E898A0090.jpg

65177540-BA71-42A3-83AE-D81A2533175C.jpg

Spyder Garage

I agree with Dc8Cappie. Although my Comfort Seat was new in 2014 and the stitching is different from yours, my seat looks just like Dc8cappie's. Yes, when I push the backrest all the way forward, i.e., down, say to adjust the backrest, there is a little squishing of the seat material under the backrest, but when it's in the upright position everything is smooth as a baby's butt, no wrinkles.

Now you need to get a BRP seat and backrest rain cover to protect your investment.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Klefty, are you SURE your seat is the upgraded 'comfort seat' that has an extra 1.5" of ryder space, pushing that lumbar hump bit back 1.5"?? BRP's labelling of their seats in the publicity brochures etc is really bad, & quite a few people thought they got the 'upgrade comfort seat' when they really only got the standard 'comfortable' seat, which BRP sometimes calls a 'comfort seat' in their bunf!

Your seat with backrest installed looks a WHOLE LOT like you've got an 'upgrade comfort seat backrest' installed in the standard seat!! The fitting that screws on underneath the seat pan will fit either/both, but putting the 'upgrade comfort seat' fitting on a standard seat means the backrest stalks force the lumbar hump to scrunch up like your pic shows!! Using the correct base fitting this doesn't happen, and your seat won't be scrunched up!

Do you really hafta ask me how I know this??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Appreciate all of your feedback. I checked the package the backrest came in and it is for a comfort seat. The only thing that makes sense is that I do not have a comfort seat when I was under the impression I did. Hopefully there is some part number on the seat I can confirm this. After mounting the bracket on the underside of the seat it did seem like the receiver should have been about that 1.5” you mentioned more forward. If I were a betting man I would say I do not have the comfort seat.
    So, is the backrest the same and just the bracket different for the 2 seats therefore I only need to acquire the correct bracket? It was a Christmas gift from my girlfriend so I am going to contact the place she got it from tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

Sadly BRP does't sale the bracket separate. Hopefully the dealer will take it back and give you the correct backrest assembly for your seat.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Verified my seat part number and it is not a comfort seat. Only one way to really fix this problem... I will place an order for the comfort seat! At 6’ 4” and 300 & change I really could use it.

Appreciate the input from everyone!

Happy New Year!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by klefty View Post
    Verified my seat part number and it is not a comfort seat. Only one way to really fix this problem... I will place an order for the comfort seat! At 6’ 4” and 300 & change I really could use it.

Appreciate the input from everyone!

Happy New Year!
    Good choice!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Good choice!
    Received my new Comfort Seat today and just finished the swap. Backrest dropped right in and fits perfectly. 58 degrees tomorrow and I’ll be out for sure.