Spyder Garage

Question RT Shock Replacement

Since I'm adding a Baja Ron Sway bar should I just consider doing the Elka shocks at the same time? I'm confident the sway bar will improve the handling but if I'm already tearing into it, this is something I would rather do once and walk away that say DARN IT after the fact. Who has this setup and may I ask your comments on the choice you made good/bad/indifferent?

Thanks in advance and happy Holidays everyone.

Spyder Garage

Default Not really...

Step by step is the best so you can see and feel the effect. As they are seperate installations you will save nothing and if the swaybar improvement is enough you will save a ton on those shocks. After ryding for a while you can move on to the shocks...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can do sway bar test ride if you like then go no further

Or after sway bar try Rons shock adjusters. Then retest ride.

Spyder Garage

Agree with Gene. Do the Swaybar, ride. Might be enough. Short of Elkas, you might consider BajaRon’s shock adjusters. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Great advice above. I strongly recommend doing the BajaRon Shock Adjusters, I did both and was very happy. Shock adjusters really help, they raise the front end a bit and prevent “nose dive” if u have to hit the breaks. Even my wife noticed the difference on her first ride w me.
    I’m not sure what year Spyder you have put I have an ‘18 RT and those 2 products really improved the ride.
    Good luck w decision/install.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On my 2014 RTS I have and have used both Elka's shocks & Rons adjusters...My Elka's leaked oil with in a month when new back in 2014 and I had to wait 3 weeks for Elka to repair and return them (for free)...I put my stock shocks back on in 2014 so I could ride...Really noticed the difference back then...Elka's way better...Summer of 2018, My Elka's again leaked oil, BUT this time I had Ron's adjusters installed on my stock shocks setting on the shelf for that "just in case situation"...Put my stock shocks back on with Ron's Adjusters and after two adjustments they rode EVERY BIT AS GOOD as my Elka's...

I contacted Elka again about repairing their defective oil leaking shocks and was given a name of a US repair facility that wanted $300.00, plus shipping both ways to again fix them...I ended up sending them to a independent shock guru in PA and he repaired and replaced the seal heads and returned them to me for $160.00...

So for now I'm still riding with Ron's set up and my Elka's are on the shelf for the next "just in case situation"...

The above is just my view and my experience with my 2014 RTS front shocks...

larryd

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Definitely do BajaRon’s shock adjusters and save yourself a bunch of money. And if you are thinking about adding LED foglights do them when you have the shocks off. That saves a bunch of time on the left side light.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I have done both at different times. Not much to changing the shocks if you feel the need after the sway bar. I noticed improvements from both and have no regrets for either upgrade.

Spyder Garage

Remember, a sway bar swap will not alter or change the front wheel alignment.

Adding preload collars, swapping shocks, or adding rubbers into the springs can raise the front of the vehicle and require a wheel alignment.

Our RTS got the BajaRon swaybar years ago. Certainly lessened chassis / body lean in corners, and gave a more planted feel riding two up. Also seemed to lessen sway from wind turbulence.

Later I installed the BRP FoxShox. Never rode the FoxShox with a stock swaybar.

Combined, the FoxShox and swaybar provides for very little lean in corners, especially two up. Saying that, if you ride solo all the time and are reasonably light weight, neither the bar or the shocks may be a benefit.

In retrospect, installing better tires is a worthy upgrade also.

Spyder Garage

My '14 plain vanilla RT's first mod was Bajaron Antisway bar. My second mod was Elka front shocks. My third mod was real tires. (conti procontact) and I kept 'improving' the bike. It performs really well, stable in turns and all that an upgraded biker should do. (yeah, bunch of LED lights but not all of them available) I kept a complete list of dates and cost. Lots of money. But, I think the thing that helped my riding MOST was the Motorcycle Foundation Safety course. In one day of ;being taught how to ride I finally felt comfortable. And I've been riding all sorts of 2 wheels since 1966. But, do the bar and shocks. Most bang for the buck. Just sayin'

Spyder Garage

Had a good chat with Pierre from Canamspyderaccessories.com today as I am changing out my sway bar to the baharon sway bar and links. I wanted to know if it was worthwhile adding the shock adjusters as well. He said don’t do it right now and just wait to see how I felt riding after the sway bar mod. The only reason to adjust or change shocks would be if you live in an area with crappy roads.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Canaussie View Post
    Had a good chat with Pierre from Canamspyderaccessories.com today as I am changing out my sway bar to the baharon sway bar and links. I wanted to know if it was worthwhile adding the shock adjusters as well. He said don’t do it right now and just wait to see how I felt riding after the sway bar mod. The only reason to adjust or change shocks would be if you live in an area with crappy roads.
    Respectfully disagree. Performance suspension, such as upgraded shocks and springs, or simply the ability to properly preload existing springs for the riders weight is noticed even more of good roads where handling performance can be felt when compared to stock.

Heavier riders should consider preload adjusters or shocks and a proper alignment. Lighter riders are less likely toneed these upgrades.

Spyder Garage

Default I found Elkas very effective

I have a 15 RTL and soon after purchase I installed the Baja Ron Sway Bar. Unfortunately I did it so soon after purchase that I don't really know the impact. I did it because everyone else seemed to be doing it. Last May I had Elka Shocks installed on the front of my RTL. The results in tracking and ride were amazing. I consider the Elkas, Triaxis Bars, and Ultimate Seat the best 3 mods I've done to my bike.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by h100250 View Post
    Who has this setup and may I ask your comments on the choice you made good/bad/indifferent?
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    I have a 15 RTL and soon after purchase I installed the Baja Ron Sway Bar. Unfortunately I did it so soon after purchase that I don't really know the impact. I did it because everyone else seemed to be doing it. Last May I had Elka Shocks installed on the front of my RTL. The results in tracking and ride were amazing. I consider the Elkas, Triaxis Bars, and Ultimate Seat the best 3 mods I've done to my bike.

Rob
    When you installed the aftermarket shocks, did you have a proper wheel alignment accomplished also. Ideally you did, since any change that raises or lowers the front ride height alters alignment.

I measured our Spyder from the bodywork spike to the concrete prior to the installation of Fox Shox and then remeasured afterwards. The Spyder front height increased about 10mm. In turn, when I checked the alignment, the toe in had changed by about 6mm towards more toe in. Far too much for good tire wear, but was incredibly straight tracking and cornered smoothly. I realigned it to better numbers and stopped the tire wear, and never improved the handling even more as the chassis was freed up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Canaussie View Post
    When I was at Spyderquest, I had BajaRon swaybar installed. I did notice a difference. The next day I had the BajaRon Shock Adjusters installed...made a huge difference! Much more noticeable than the swaybar imo. Lifts the front end, no nose dive if u hit the breaks etc. if I were you I’d do both. They showed me my stock swaybar compared to BajaRon and BajaRon was clearly thicker/better. Especially the links. I was extremely impressed w Shock Adjusters.
    Good luck, that’s my $.02.
    Jarred.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Spyder Garage

Replacing the shocks before replacing the swaybar is a very smart move..if youre able to do so moneywise..this will increase your long term road stability..on bad roads and riding in crosswinds(adverse weather conditions)..while riding single and two up ..elka is the way to go..then if you decide to do so. add a sway bar..the shocks always come first..and always replace all 3 shocks so its equal performace in the front and the rear...also...when you replace the shocks you will not need shock adjusters.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h100250 View Post
    Since I'm adding a Baja Ron Sway bar should I just consider doing the Elka shocks at the same time? I'm confident the sway bar will improve the handling but if I'm already tearing into it, this is something I would rather do once and walk away that say DARN IT after the fact. Who has this setup and may I ask your comments on the choice you made good/bad/indifferent?

Thanks in advance and happy Holidays everyone.
    Replacing the shocks before replacing the swaybar is a very smart move..if youre able to do so moneywise..this will increase your long term road stability..on bad roads and riding in crosswinds(adverse weather conditions)..while riding single and two up ..elka is the way to go..then if you decide to do so. add a sway bar..the shocks always come first..and always replace all 3 shocks so its equal performace in the front and the rear...also...when you replace the shocks you will not need shock adjusters.