Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Micnice10 View Post
    Dumb question, but an oil remover is 65mm do you think that would work??
    If you mean an oil filter remover socket, then no. No way that stamped steel socket will take 215 lb. ft. torque. You'd twist that thing off before you got half way to the correct torque.

My opinion, the 65mm straight cut socket will work just fine. It does not fit perfectly, which I assume the BRP special socket would. But it's close enough to get the job done. I need to get a bigger torque wrench. Once I have it I will give it a try and let everyone know how it goes. The worst case scenario will be it may scar up the nut. No one is going to like that, including me. And probably a deal killer.

I should amend this a bit. I have not yet actually tried using this 65mm socket on the axle nuts. I've put it on but have not attempted to turn it yet. I don't want anyone to think I am recommending this yet. Just saying it appears that it will work.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-27-2019 at 08:17 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thank you much!

Spyder Garage

I thought the hub looked about the same size as my old Bronco hub Socket, Ill will be checking through my tools now..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I Once I have it I will give it a try and let everyone know how it goes. The worst case scenario will be it may scar up the nut. No one is going to like that, including me. And probably a deal killer.

I have good luck using this method to protect nuts from damage:

Cut a circle of heavy gauge plastic, at least 3 mil thick if you can find it. A heavy duty plastic bag works great. Make sure the circular piece of plastic is at least 50% larger that the outer diameter of the socket.

Hold the plastic over the center of the nut and tap the socket onto the nut with a dead blow hammer gently.

Apply the torque to the nut in a very slow and even manner.

Once the torque has broken free, you can pull the socket off the nut while it's still attach to the axel in this case.

Use a new piece of plastic sheet stock to install the nut.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Leland View Post

Cut a circle of heavy gauge plastic, at least 3 mil thick if you can find it. A heavy duty plastic bag works great. Make sure the circular piece of plastic is at least 50% larger that the outer diameter of the socket.

Hold the plastic over the center of the nut and tap the socket onto the nut with a dead blow hammer very gently.

Once the torque has broken free, you can pull the socket off the nut while it's still attach to the axel in this case.

Great idea! Especially considering that there is a bit of play between the 65mm straight cut socket I have and the nut. With dimensions this big, it is my experience that you do not necessarily need a perfectly fitting tool if you take a bit of care. You should not, in any case, be using a rattle gun on this wheel nut anyway. And a good torque technique is slow and steady. Which I believe should work to protect the axle nut.

I have an appropriate torque wrench on the way. My current tool would not go to the 225 lb. Ft. setting needed. When it gets here I am going to take a nut off and put it back on. I'll let you know what I find. For the price of a BRP socket, you can get a 65mm socket and decent torque wrench too.

Update: 250 lb. ft. torque wrench will be here Friday.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-29-2019 at 05:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hold the plastic over the center of the nut and tap the socket onto the nut with a dead blow hammer gently.

This method as two added benefits:

1. In this instance it holds the socket onto the nut, which is specially important if you must use an extension between the socket and the torque wrench. It holds all of the parts together during the process of torquing or un-torquing, allowing one person to accomplish the task.

2. This method does away with the need for a separate set of magnet embedded sockets. If you want to install a nut on a very hard to reach bolt or stud, say for instance inside a car door panel all you have to do is cut a circle of place out of a heavy plastic bag, place the socket on a table with the broached end up, place the plastic sheet stock on top of the socket, place the nut on top of the sheet stock and tap the nut into the socket with a dead blow hammer. The nut is retained to allow for you to start the nut in a blind location etc. One further tip. Cut the plastic sheet into a long strip instead of circle. Use one end of the strip to hold the nut and the other end allows you to hold to or retain the plastic sheet stock so it does not drop down into the car door panel in this case, or engine compartment of a car or airplanes exc.

Spyder Garage

Default How to make an improvised torque wrench for the Ryker wheel nuts.

How to make an improvised torque wrench for the Ryker wheel nuts.

You need:

Socket
    Breaker Bar
    6ft 3in Breaker bar extension tube. (plus a few inches longer) Hint: 1 inch diameter steel electrical conduit tubing works well and it is cheap.
    5 gallon bucket
    4.5 gallons of water

Fashion a breaker bar extension out of steel tubing plus several inches extra in length, cut a notch at the 6ft 3in mark to hold the water bucket handle. Pre-torque the nut modestly with mild force from your hand on the end of the breaker bar. Next hang the bucket containing 4.5 gallons of water on the breaker bar extension engaging the notch to hold it in place. This amount of weight will torque the nut to 225ft/lbs.

Spyder Garage

Yessir, that works. Depending on the thickness of your buffer plastic, extracting the socket from the nut/axle can be challenging, though. I've needed to resort to a padded bench vice and a gear puller once or twice before to save me from my own ingenuity. The same process works in reverse for Japanese JIS fasteners... our SAE Philips bits don't quite match and you end up "smearing" your screw heads. A bit of thick PVC bag or a piece of friction tape in the screw head helps sometimes with that, particularly with impact-tools (e.g. #3-4 Philips head in a not-quite equally sized JIS screw).

However, I'm not recommending that course of action to anyone until I have tried it on my own machine! In the Ryker's case, I might bite the proverbial bullet and let the dealer handle the wheel issues. So, if they mangle the nut, then I don't have to beat myself up over it.

--
    QM
    Last edited by QuasiMotard; 01-29-2019 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Typo's

Spyder Garage

A heat gun on the socket will allow the socket to slide off rather easily from my experience. The plastic softens up at a rather low temp and slight tapping with a dead blow hammer on the corner of the socket very gently will allow the socket to slip free. Also apply some lubricant to the nut and in the socket before you press the two together. I've never had a problem at all using this method.

Spyder Garage

A heat gun on the socket will allow the socket to slide off rather easily from my experience. The plastic softens up at a rather low temp and slight tapping with a dead blow hammer on the corner of the socket very gently will allow the socket to slip free. Also apply some lubricant to the nut and in the socket before you press the two together. I've never had a problem at all using this method.

I didn't think that far out of the box, apparently. My situation had some attached o-rings and bronze thrust washers near the focal point that may not have taken the localized heat. But for a wheel nut/axle combo like this the heat trick would be perfect. Well analyzed, sir!

--
    QM

Spyder Garage

Some pics of the BRP socket from Facebook. It is assuredly a 12 point flat face socket. Not curved.
    50917505_1995867277157530_3421454270359142400_n.jpg50866809_1995867303824194_3925986488096915456_n.jpg

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Some pics of the BRP socket from Facebook. It is assuredly a 12 point flat face socket. Not curved.
    50917505_1995867277157530_3421454270359142400_n.jpg50866809_1995867303824194_3925986488096915456_n.jpg
    Interesting. If true, BRP is selling a $45.00 socket for only $160.00 plus shipping. Though I have found it at discount outlets for as little as $144.00 and free shipping.

I am feeling better all the time about the route I've taken. Soon, I will know for sure.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-30-2019 at 09:29 AM.

Spyder Garage

No wonder that socket is so expensive, it's lined with jewels!!

Spyder Garage

Interesting. If true, BRP is selling a $45.00 socket for only $160.00 plus shipping....
    Sheesh... What freight carrier are they using? $160 plus shipping? Maybe it's a cheap socket via the Pony Express, and we're expected to pay for feed, tack, and boarding?

--
    QM

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I guess everybody doubted me! See posts #36 & 48.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I guess everybody doubted me! See posts #36 & 48.
    Not so much doubting you as not wanting to believe that BRP would charge $160.00 for a $45.00 tool....

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

not wanting to believe that BRP would charge $160.00 for a $45.00 tool....
    Don't tell me you're one of those who likes to deny history!!!!!!!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Interesting. If true, BRP is selling a $45.00 socket for only $160.00 plus shipping. Though I have found it at discount outlets for as little as $144.00 and free shipping.

I am feeling better all the time about the route I've taken. Soon, I will know for sure.
    It may be an optical illusion but the BRP socket appears to be conical in addition to 12 sided. I have paid more for less before.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

If BRP marks the price up high enough and adds the need for a huge torque wrench the owners will go to the dealer. You can't tell me that the marketing boys at BRP did not have a good giggle figuring that one out.

Okay, let the dogs out now. I'm ready for the hate to begin.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    It may be an optical illusion but the BRP socket appears to be conical in addition to 12 sided. I have paid more for less before.
    I agree, it does not look exactly like a standard 12 sided socket to me either.

Spyder Garage

Let's slip on our critical thinking helmet. BRP could have added wheel spindles and 3 lug nuts per wheel to allow users to remove and and install their wheels and tires with a normal lug wrench and torque wrench. But instead they chose to use a special single nut with the addition of the need to use an oversized torque wrench. By going this route BRP forces the owner into a "premeditated BRP dealership visit" every time they need to do any maintenance on the bike having to do with wheels and tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    Yep, and those faces look chevron'd or curved to me... dunno, could just be the camera shot, not sure.

--
    QM

Spyder Garage

... BRP forces the owner into a "premeditated BRP dealership visit" every time they need to do any maintenance on the bike having to do with wheels and tires.
    I wouldn't necessarily mind that... IF I could trust my dealer to do my maintenance properly.

The next issue is what about flats and roadside repairs? Nope, it's up onto the flatbed for you buddy... hope your AAA membership is current!

Actually, the BRP agent that I spoke to several days ago (beginning of the gearbox oil recall debacle) mentioned that I had roadside assistance/coverage? Maybe so, but you're not gonna fix it on the side of the road unless you happen to be traveling down that road with a giant torque lever strapped to the side of your Ryker...Mad Max style... like a jouster's pole looking for an adversary... AND the giant, proprietary 65mm socket to boot!

Hey now, is that a Ryker wheel hub socket in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

--
    QM

Spyder Garage

So, is there a conclusion here regarding the correct socket and where to get one at a reasonable price?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    maybe one of the Designers has an old Jaguar E ??
    I love the idea of opening the front for service and the way how they fixed the wheels !!

https://mossmotors.com/long-handle-k...nal-knock-offs