Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Test Pilots Needed...

I am always on the lookout for the best 'Mouse Trap' so to speak. Here is some background.

The NGK Laser Welded spark plugs that come stock on the 1330 ACE Spyder Motor are also used in many OEM factory applications. This spark plug places emphasis on longevity while sacrificing a bit in performance. The Laser Welded plugs have a recommended service interval of 100,000 miles when used in an automotive application.

The Iridium IX Spark Plugs are more targeted towards performance with some sacrifice in longevity. The Iridium IX is designed to deliver a stronger spark giving quicker starts, better throttle response and power. The recommended service interval on the IX spark plug is about 1/2 that of the Laser Welded version.

It has been reported by many that the recommended 28,000 mile service interval for the OEM, Laser Welded spark plugs tends to be a good bit overkill. My feeling is that these plugs will probably go at least twice this distance before actually needing to be replaced. Probably longer. If this is true then it follows that the Iridium IX spark plugs should easily go the 28k which is the current service interval for spark plug replacement on the 1330 engines. I have seen the IX plugs go 50k in the 998 Rotax. And I believe that the V-Twin is harder on spark plugs than the 1330, and also more sensitive to spark plug issues than the 1330. I cannot prove this. But it appears to be so. I think this is due to the improved spark delivery system on the 1330 ACE motor.

I have said all of the above to say this. Since the 1330 motor came out I have been searching for, and now I have found an NGK Iridium IX Spark Plug with the identical specs as the OEM Laser Welded spark plug. I intend to offer this spark plug in my 1330 ACE motor replacement set. But I would very much like to have 2 or 3 of you try these out (since I do not own a 1330 model Spyder to try them myself).

If you qualify for this 'Test Pilot' position, I will ship the Iridium IX spark plug kit to you free of charge. The kit includes thermal paste and dielectric grease as well. Everything you need for the install except the time and effort.

Here is what I need from a perspective test pilot.
    1- You will need to install and be able and prepared to put some miles on them in fairly short order.
    2- Report your findings/impressions with the Iridium IX spark plugs.

It is important that these 2 conditions be met as I need to have feedback in a timely manner. I would like to hear back by the 2nd week of January at the latest. Sooner, of course, would be better. But I understand that with the holidays and weather concerns, it may not be the very best time of the year to get this accomplished.

On the 998 V-Twin motor the improvement from the Laser Welded to the Iridium IX is noticeable to most riders. I have no idea if this will be the case on the 1330 ACE 3 cylinder motor. Theoretically the IX should give a decent improvement. But I would like to find out from actual owners testing the product before I begin touting the IX over the Laser Welded for this application.

If you are interested please PM me here at Spyderlovers. Or, email me at fyredad@hotmail.com

Thanks and have a great Christmas!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 12-22-2018 at 09:42 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...