Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Sygic Maps any good?

Hey everyone.
    I noticed Sygic is having some kind of Christmas sale, has anyone used this app? And if so, how does it compare to Genius Maps? Of course I’ve already bought everything for Genius, including traffic. I’ve been very happy w the app but today it kind of sent me on a wild goose chase. 7 miles west of my destination. Curious if anyone has used Sygic, and if u like it.
    But I did learn something strange.
    After I got frustrated riding in circles, I pulled over to check Google Maps. Then reconnected my phone to BRP Connect. The Google map was displayed on dash but w no route. However I could hear the Google turn by turn audio via speakers (helmet) and that was good enough to get me to my destination. Odd but glad it worked.
    Thanks in advance.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post
    I noticed Sygic is having some kind of Christmas sale, has anyone used this app?
    I've been using their tablet version on a Samsung tablet for five years, I think it is. The only issue I've had with it, really, that I can think of is one time it sent me to a wrong address when I input a restaurant name. Their search function isn't the best when it comes to interpreting wrong spelling and such. I had a situation this past fall where a road was shown as O'Gara on Google maps and OGara on the street sign. I think I finally found it using Google maps and then moved the Sygic map to it and found Sygic had it as OGara, not O'Gara. I believe O'Gara is the correct spelling. It uses Tom Tom maps and are updated regularly at no charge.

You download maps for the states you are going to travel in. That way you don't eat up a lot of storage for maps you won't be using. It runs offline. The only real time online data you need a connection for is things like traffic updates.

I like its configurability. You can set various alarms for different excess speeds like city street vs open highway, distances before RR crossings, etc. It uses yards and miles, not feet. This may be because the app is written for the metric system and yards are an easier conversion. Now how much the BRP version varies from the tablet version I don't know, but I would think not much. I have a lifetime license so I haven't paid attention to current pricing. Like so many others they may be moving to subscription pricing.

I wish I could tell you how it compares to other GPS apps but I've not used any others. I tried a couple of others, like CoPilot, before I bought Sygic, and found Sygic to be much more configurable.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I've played with it, and while it is not Google or Waze, it seems to be pretty stable and functional. I've had no issues with it, and for $62 it was not a terrible deal, especially with the Can Am $90 card. I've not used Genius maps as I heard some less than favorable comments about them.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the above posts. Looks like all I need to do is buy the “Premium” version. It’s $50 now, says that includes everything including Traffic. I just wish there was a good app to plan routs, not just mapping to a destination. I’d like to design a route on my PC, load it to my phone and use on Spyder.
    Thank you, I’ll give it a try, have to start my Christmas shopping today maybe I’ll download that app and take the Spyder. I’ll just buy small gifts. Lol.

Spyder Garage

Jarred, You need to get the Sygic Car Navigation from play store, it is a free download. You then need to buy the "North America Connected Premium Pack" -- the key is the "Connected" piece, only it allows for connection to BRP Connect. Right now the North America Connected Premium is $62.49. Do NOT just get the normal premium (w/o connected", won't work.

You can do routes in Sygic using waypoints I believe. I've not played with it, so speaking second hand, but there are videos on line about the process.....pretty easy. I believe you can use Google Maps, Honda Trip Planner etc, save a route to GPX, use a simple converter to the Sygic format, and you are GTG. It looks easy and flexible in video.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Ok, but when I click on “Go Premium” or “Sygic Store”, there’s only a choice of World or North America, NA currently on sale for $49.99. Claims it includes maps, Car Connectivity & Traffic etc. I don’t see any other options. I was just gonna buy it now but I’ll search Google first, wanna know what total package will cost.
    Thank you McClendons!

Spyder Garage

I’m using iPhone (iOS) not Android. Maybe Can Am website will have more info, still just showing only $50 choice.

Spyder Garage

If it says car connectivity it should work, I have mine on android, but would not have expected android to cost more (or less). Seems strange. What I suggest is downloading the app, then trying the inapp purchase to upgrade to the world connected. Worked on mine, sounds like you may save a few,

BTW, the windows application that converts navigation formats is ITNConvert. Not sure if they have a mac version......
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Thank you. I downloaded the $50 Premium, seems to have everything I need. Chilly by me but may take a ride soon and check it out. I downloaded the free app when it was first available w BRP Connect, they sent me email regarding 50% off. I wanna learn all the apps so I’ll give this one a try.
    Thank You.

Spyder Garage

Please keep us posted on your results.I know I'm not the only one considering this app! Thanx!

Spyder Garage

Hey everyone. I’ve only put about 150 miles on the Sygic App so far. As of now, I like Genius Maps better. The Sygic package I bought (North America, on sale for $50) worked, has everything I need to connect to BRP Connect, Traffic etc.
    I’m going to keep using it but I feel Genius is easier to navigate, better quality etc. Took me a while to figure out how to find/save the correct addresses into my “Favorites “, weird way to search for addresses & POI. I was meeting up w my RC at a Starbucks about 25 miles away, I kind of knew where it was but when I pulled into the parking lot Sygic said my destination was in 700 feet, not accurate-even walked into the Starbucks, said I was 680 feet away. Lol.
    Like I said, I’m gonna keep using it but as of now I’m thinking Sygic maybe better for Android and Genius for IOS. I don’t own Android but that’s the only thing I can think of when I read positive reviews. And after about 5 miles the audio “turn by turn” just stopped working. My radio volume was lowered but no audio instructions. Maybe I just need to get used to it more.
    I’ll keep using it and report back, that’s just my first assessment.

Spyder Garage

Default Plan your trip with Sygic

Sygic now has a way to plan your trip on your PC and download it to your Android device. For instructions and links go here: http://www.sygic.com/blog/2018/web-r...-smarter-ways? I just tried it briefly and seems to work OK. They use OpenStreet maps which I don't think are quite as complete or up to date as Google. It's takes a little bit of learning to figure out how to create your route. Once you've got it planned then you just click the button and Sygic emails the map link to you. You just click on the "Start Navigation" button and it starts and loads into Sygic. The link works with your browser also so once you've got it planned you can forward the email to your riding buddies.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

That’s great info, thanks Idaho. I hope I can do the same w iPhone.
    And for those who maybe interested in buying Premium, I just got an email from Sygic saying that Premium (everything u need) is still on sale for $50 (50% off) until January 7th, 2019.

Spyder Garage

After more riding, I feel Sygic is better for Android, Genius Maps is better for iPhone. IdahoMtnSpyder shared a link to create routs on pc and transfer to the app. I looked everywhere and couldn’t find the same for PC to IOS. I tried creating a route but it’s just setting different waypoints, that may be good for some people but I was hoping to choose specific roads. Sygic has tons of animation on the screen, was making a right turn and tons of chevrons flooded my screen, lol, was weird. So in conclusion, I’m gonna stick w Genius Maps I even bought the “Safety Camera” add on for $2.99. It seems like they fixed the volume and Speed Warnings, I like their display better and find it much easier to search/add addresses on Genius. My guess, BRP was flooded w calls from Android users complaining about Genius so they added Sygic for those riders. I’ll probably use Sygic again over the summer w hopes they improve it but I’m gonna use Genius Maps as my primary GPS for my Spyder. Hope this helps someone decide on one purchase over the other.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the review!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've been creating routes on my phone or GPS device for years. Played with the mapping app and figured it out. No need to pack a laptop. Reconfigure the route on the go anywhere. Zoom in and out with two fingers.

These are screen shots and I can't figure out to make them vertical.

Pick a destination.
    IMG_0750.jpeg

Put your finger on the route and hold it there and you see a bouncing flag then move it and drop it on the road you want.
    IMG_0751.jpeg

Another change showing the bouncy flag being moved
    IMG_0754.jpeg

This shows the new route
    R7v7cLMhT76tzy933+Palg.jpg

or

You can select "Options" at the bottom of the map page and find the menu and modify the route in a variety of ways by adding POI or points on the map etc.

IMG_0756.jpeg IMG_0758.jpegIMG_0759.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

After more riding, I feel Sygic is better for Android,
    I tried creating a route but it’s just setting different waypoints, that may be good for some people but I was hoping to choose specific roads. Sygic has tons of animation on the screen, was making a right turn and tons of chevrons flooded my screen, lol, was weird.
    I'm pretty sure you can turn off the animations in the settings options. You can select what types of POIs you want shown. Sygic has a lot of configurability, but how it compares to the other GPS programs I can't tell you. It's the only one I've made real use of, and on the tablet only.

I just played around with the route planning for Sygic. You can make it take specific highways but you have to do it adding a waypoint. You can do that by clicking on the map. But you're right. Sygic is a waypoint focused app and likes to automatically select routes between waypoints. Although, once you have the route open in Sygic you can drag routes around to select them, but it likes to go back to a higher priority highway at the next good chance to change routes. I've sometimes had 10 or 15 waypoints to go 200 or 300 miles in order to force the route to stay on secondary roads.

I think creating a route in Google Maps is easier but you have to go through machinations to get it into Sygic. You create the route, then copy the map link from the options on the left. Then paste that link into ITN Converter and export a Sygic format file. You manually copy that file into the itinerary folder on your device and it'll show up in the drop down list from the search box for new route.

IMO, it's all workable and the results are decent, but it's not drag and drop simple!

I guess I should try Genius, and some other GPS apps, but I've been using Sygic for maybe six years now. Once I start on a s/w path I tend to stay on it. Usually cheaper that way!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I've been creating routes on my phone or GPS device for years. Played with the mapping app and figured it out. No need to pack a laptop.
    What I did recently for a 6 day trip was create a route on Google Maps for each of the six days before the trip, and then loaded them to my tablet as I mention above. Each morning I just loaded the route for that day, and made changes as needed just as you show.

ITN Converter is a neat program for translating GPS files between device formats.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the above posts. Looks like all I need to do is buy the “Premium” version. It’s $50 now, says that includes everything including Traffic. I just wish there was a good app to plan routs, not just mapping to a destination. I’d like to design a route on my PC, load it to my phone and use on Spyder.
    Thank you, I’ll give it a try, have to start my Christmas shopping today maybe I’ll download that app and take the Spyder. I’ll just buy small gifts. Lol.
    Just create your route in my google maps and send yourself a link to it. Then open it on your phone. Simple.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Just create your route in my google maps and send yourself a link to it. Then open it on your phone. Simple.
    Problem is Google Maps doesn't work in the BRP Connect app. The way you modify a route in Google Maps is similar to the way you can modify a route in Sygic.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Problem is Google Maps doesn't work in the BRP Connect app. The way you modify a route in Google Maps is similar to the way you can modify a route in Sygic.
    I thought he was talking about using his phone as the GPS. You're probably right.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I thought he was talking about using his phone as the GPS. You're probably right.
    Yea, I’m using BRP Connect. I have RT so my phone sits in my frunk, unlike F3 that has it on dash. I could get a long lightning cable and mount on handlebar but I like the dash better, I need reading glasses so info displayed on dash is much easier for me to see. Weird thing is BRP Connect has a generic “Maps” tab on dash, and when clicked on it brings up Google Maps. But we can’t use it, (however I learned the turn by turn audio works, just not visual) hopefully the next software update allows Google Maps. I’ll look into changing the animation, that chevron blitzkrieg was really strange, lol.
    And thanks for those pics Flame, maybe I’ll try Sygic on my iPad and hopefully it will transfer to my iPhone. I didn’t think of that. Hopefully I can log into my Sygic account on both iPad and iPhone, I’ll give that a try.
    Thanks everyone, great info.

Spyder Garage

I recently got my BRP Connect upgraded to 13.2 (probably what pushed them to finally release 20.8......), and have Sygic running reliably. That said, I am not getting voice direction through helmet or speakers. It does mute the FM Radio (through speakers of course), but just dead air. Any ideas? Thanks
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McClendons View Post
    I recently got my BRP Connect upgraded to 13.2 (probably what pushed them to finally release 20.8......), and have Sygic running reliably. That said, I am not getting voice direction through helmet or speakers. It does mute the FM Radio (through speakers of course), but just dead air. Any ideas? Thanks
    I have the tablet non-Connect version but I think the program is the same. Make sure that in Settings - Notifications and Sounds - Voice Instructions the option is turned on.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I have the tablet non-Connect version but I think the program is the same. Make sure that in Settings - Notifications and Sounds - Voice Instructions the option is turned on.
    Thanks, Did make sure it was on. Also played with just the app last night......sound from it is intermittent, works sometimes, sometimes not. Have some more playing to do, hopefully I can figure it out. I just upgraded from a Samsung Galaxy S8+ to an S10+, and the app has been acting up since then.....

Thanks again
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey