Thread: CB types etc

Spyder Garage

Default CB types etc

I have no doubt there are a few threads on here about CB's but I cant find them. Am considering adding one to my 14 Rt-se6 , any good recommendations, pointers on helmets etc for this?

Spyder Garage

check on Midland handhelds, there are some youtube videos of installs on Spyders. I installed a midland on my spyder and my wife's using a non groundplane antenna from Sierra electronics. You can use a Sena SR10 bluetooth to listen to thru helmet with a Sena headset. Visit one of the vendors, "motorcycle Dave", he has the answers.

Spyder Garage

I have an uninstalled CB for the Spyder RT. Let me know if you decide to go that way. It is listed on this forum in the For Sale category.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

how is the range on your midland handheld? I have a midland handheld and it wont reach even a quarter mile. And, how the heck are you listening to your CB through your SENA? The midland handheld does not have bluetooth.
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 12-22-2018 at 12:33 PM.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    how is the range on your midland handheld? I have a midland handheld and it wont reach even a quarter mile. And, how the heck are you listening to your CB through your SENA? The midland handheld does not have bluetooth.
    You need the Sena SR10 BT adapter and cable specific to the Midland CB. I use a Transit Escape bicycle bag modified to fit on the glove box with the Midland CB inside and a 90 degree Coax antenna adapter so the antenna sticks out through the top. TransIt https://www.performancebike.com/shop...be-bag-40-5196

I have the Sena SR10 velcroed to the handlebar as it's waterproof and has the PTT button but you can get a small PTT button that can be attached closer to the left hand. If you want.

The range is not far as it uses AA batteries. I'm working on trying to use one of those battery jumper units that can also charge devices and a USB/cig power adapter to power the CB and maybe it will put out better. The few times I've use the CB with AA batteries I can hear fine but some riders at the lead and tail end don't hear me. If I were riding all day with them, I'd get a shielded power cig power outlet to power the CB. It has to be shielded otherwise there will be engine static interference.

kHE6OMNgR8erxIc8t+7X%Q.jpg HOJifZwJRmKmBieWg1uWIw.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

J&M makes a good handlebar mount motorcycle CB but it is about as expensive as the "stock" one from BRP........and integrating it into the rest of the audio system might be tricky.

I added a stock CB to my '17 RT (actually the dealer did it) and they had to get two additional different harnesses to make everything work.
    The range of any unit in my riding group is only about a mile.....Honda's, Harley's and Spyders.

Spyder Garage

Ah, but the factory unit integrates so well with the rest of the Spyder audio system. With the cable to helmet unit I have AM/FM and XM radio alone with the CB and Navigation audio for however long I ride the Spyder RTL. Love it, although I do wish it had been cheaper. You can’t get this integration with a handle bar mounted CB.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dc8cappie View Post
    You can’t get this integration with a handle bar mounted CB.
    Not with a "hand held" either.

One of the J&M models has Bluetooth for helmet connection but I still don't think the "integration" would be nearly as good.

I have found that the audio from an actual phone call will come through the factory system too, if I pair my phone with the GPS.
    I haven't seriously tried to see if I can talk back with that arrangement yet.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by piperpilot75 View Post
    I have no doubt there are a few threads on here about CB's but I cant find them. Am considering adding one to my 14 Rt-se6 , any good recommendations, pointers on helmets etc for this?
    Do a Google search with the following in the search box: "CB radio site:spyderlovers.com". (Don't use the quote marks.) The forum search won't search for any word less than 4 characters.

With the factory CB your headset choice is limited to wired, no BT. There is a BT option for the bike audio system but it uses the same connection as is used for the CB so you have your choice, BT for bike audio and use a handheld for CB, or BRP CB with wired headset only.

Sena has what they call the Freewire to provide a BT connection to an OEM CB, but they don't have a cable for the RT. From looking at various wiring diagrams I think a Harley cable could be modified for the RT but I don't think anyone has done it. I've not caved into the BT helmet craze yet so haven't pursued that option.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Called Sena about that. Their answer was it won’t work with the Spyder. I got the impression they are not interested in making one for the Spyder. I guess they don’t think there are enough people with this set up to make it worthwhile. I guess I should call again and see if they will tell me how to reword the Harley-Davidson one for the Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Called Sena about that. Their answer was it won’t work with the Spyder. I got the impression they are not interested in making one for the Spyder. I guess they don’t think there are enough people with this set up to make it worthwhile. I guess I should call again and see if they will tell me how to reword the Harley-Davidson one for the Spyder.
    Interesting that the manufacturers control what we want rather than the customers. We all need to email or communicate to them what we want and not buy what they think we want.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

What I would suggest you do, which is what I would do if I wanted to BT connect to my CB, is this. Buy the HD version of the Freewire adapter. Then go to Edsets.com, or maybe even just do a Google search. Ed has pinout diagrams for his lower headset cords that plug into the bike. Using those for a guide make up a short cable with 7 pin DIN connectors, female and male. Solder wires to the pins on the female end, which the Harley cable will plug into, and then solder them to the appropriate pins on the male connector that plugs into the Spyder connector. HD and Spyder DIN use two pins for the microphone and three pins for the speakers. The specific pins are all that is different. The HD connector has a pin for a handheld mic and the Spyder one a pin for connecting to the shield. I would leave both of those unconnected. Each one also has an unconnected pin.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Another option to use the HD cable is to buy another driver headset harness (or use the one you have), p/n 710003387 and rearrange the pins in the rectangular connector so that the pinout of the DIN connector is the same as a HD DIN connector.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I'm working on trying to use one of those battery jumper units that can also charge devices and a USB/cig power adapter to power the CB and maybe it will put out better. The few times I've use the CB with AA batteries I can hear fine but some riders at the lead and tail end don't hear me. If I were riding all day with them, I'd get a shielded power cig power outlet to power the CB. It has to be shielded otherwise there will be engine static interference.

kHE6OMNgR8erxIc8t+7X%Q.jpg HOJifZwJRmKmBieWg1uWIw.jpg
    If ya want it "to put out better" ya need to apply lotsa ALCOHOL. I crack myself up.
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    The range is not far as it uses AA batteries. I'm working on trying to use one of those battery jumper units that can also charge devices and a USB/cig power adapter to power the CB and maybe it will put out better. The few times I've use the CB with AA batteries I can hear fine but some riders at the lead and tail end don't hear me. If I were riding all day with them, I'd get a shielded power cig power outlet to power the CB. It has to be shielded otherwise there will be engine static interference.
    Have you tried a shielded cable? I wonder if that would help, really. The reason I'm wondering is I think the engine static is carried throughout the entire wiring harness. Shielding would help keep external radiation out of the cable but noise that travels in the wire. When my nephew and I went to Homecoming last year he used a handheld and SR10 that I had. It worked pretty good, but the range is limited as you've said. We couldn't use a 12 volt power cable plugged into the trunk power port. The static was so severe communication was impossible. I don't know how much better the range would be with a 12 volt battery source but I'm thinking not much. We did find however, that the batteries lasted for about 2 days plus of all day riding so I wouldn't be concerned about battery life per se limiting your use of a handheld.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Have you tried a shielded cable? I wonder if that would help, really. The reason I'm wondering is I think the engine static is carried throughout the entire wiring harness.
    You are exactly correct.
    Most of the problem noise is produced INSIDE the 12 V system and shielding would do nothing to it.

My "factory" CB has fairly pronounced "engine noise" when first starting out while the battery is being recharged.
    After riding a few miles, sometimes maybe 15 or more, the static when receiving a weak signal almost disappears.