Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: belt tension

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I do not have the belt tension specs per the bulletin on this computer. If it matters, on the 2014 RTS I set the belt tension to about 140 lbf, essentially the spec midpoint per the bulletin. This is wheel off ground tension.
    140lb equates to approx 620n. Which bulletin did you use?

Spyder Garage

To add a little clarity, I have the TST in my hands. It says the belt tension recommendations are;

2008-2012 GS/RS/RT 270 N +/- 100
    2013-2015 RS/ST/RT 630 N +/- 100
    2015 F3 300 N +/- 100

Since this TST came out in 2015 it, of course, does not mention any newer (future) year models..... However, I believe these recommendations should apply for 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 models..... Good luck..... Jim

About 6 months ago, I contacted BRP to find out if the TST has been superceeded or recinded and was told there have been no changes.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    To add a little clarity, I have the TST in my hands. It says the belt tension recommendations are;

2015 F3 300 N +/- 100

Since this TST came out in 2015 it, of course, does not mention any newer (future) year models..... However, I believe these recommendations should apply for 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 models..... Good luck..... Jim
    Ah, i now see why PMK uses 140lb. I was looking at the F3 tension. my bad. Thanks mate.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My two cents ….. I'm lazy so I don't lift my 2014 RT anymore ….. I have mine set at 160lbs - on the GROUND , this is about 140lbs OFF the Ground …. I'll bet I check my belt tension a lot more often than most because of this …… PS, I lowered my tension years before BRP did......PPS, and was soundly criticized by quite a few of the folks here ...……..Happy New Year …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    My two cents ….. I'm lazy so I don't lift my 2014 RT anymore ….. I have mine set at 160lbs - on the GROUND , this is about 140lbs OFF the Ground …. I'll bet I check my belt tension a lot more often than most because of this …… PS, I lowered my tension years before BRP did......PPS, and was soundly criticized by quite a few of the folks here ...……..Happy New Year …… Mike
    I check mine on the ground also. After many years of competitive racing off road & road racing + 53 years riding on the road, chain tension & alignment has to be right & may have the same outcome [ probably worse as the speeds are so much greater ] as over tensioned / misaligned belts.

Spyder Garage

2015 F3 300 N +/- 100

About 6 months ago, I contacted BRP to find out if the TST has been superceeded or recinded and was told there have been no changes.
    That's 67.5LBs +/- 22.5LBs for the F3. Has anyone gone as low as 45LBs? My 2017 F3 Repair & Maintenance Manual - Updated 10/2017 states 775 N +/- 150 N (174LBs +/- 34LBs). That comes out to 140LBs min off the ground and about 160LBs on the ground. This is what I run with a damper. Still too much vibration for my liking. Came from dealer with 210LBs down and no damper. Worse, but not that much.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Seriously, I know some dealers will take the time to set proper tension on the belt. I suspect few dealers even own the sonic tester nevermind bother to use it. At a guess, most techs simply grab the belt and deem it good enough.

Saying that, as the Blueknight mentioned, he lowered his tension until he got the results of minimal vibration he expected. The Kriket tool is inexpensive. If you do much of your own work, try adjusting the tension lower until you minimize vibration. Take a reading with the Spyder raised, then compare to the published Can Am lower tension specs. Seems most of us without tensioners, and minimal vibration, have found a belt tension within the bulletin specs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    To be clear ( also ), yes I can feel the engine vibes......Mike
    Mike,
    He's just checking to see if you have any feelings...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyBcHUe4WeQ
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Mike,
    He's just checking to see if you have any feelings...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyBcHUe4WeQ
    you go Bob!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

2015 F3 300 N +/- 100

Just to add another level of confusion, my technical manual for my 2016 F3Limited (also applies to T) says to set belt tension to 775n (+/- 150n) lifted. I’m getting a service next week where I have asked them to check belt alignment. I’ll ask what belt tension they use for the F3-L, and where they get that figure from.

Pete

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I have found that the BRP "official" tension in the manuals is different than that published in the TSB. The bulliten suggests that the tension be reduced for people who experience vibration at freeway speeds (65-75 MPH). The TSB does not seem to change the original setting, but rather addresses problems for those experiencing vibration at speed..... In other words, they don't admit that they are wrong about tension, they just suggest a cure..... Jim
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Ahhhhhh. Gotcha Jim......thanks
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

hi do you have a belt tensioner on are no belt tensioner

Spyder Garage

Altho some of the 'most recent' posters in the thread (over a year since the last post) are still around & active, so you never know?!?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

What you are referring to as a tensioner is not a tensioner. It is actually a belt damper. The damper is used to reduce belt vibration and it has some success in doing that. I put a damper on my bike but would not do it again. There have been reports of damper failures and when that happens, you can generally kiss your belt goodbye. Instead of a damper, just lower the belt tension as suggested above. Most people report good results by doing this. And, besides, it is less expensive to just adjust. Good luck..... Jim
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

What you are referring to as a tensioner is not a tensioner. It is actually a belt damper. The damper is used to reduce belt vibration and it has some success in doing that. I put a damper on my bike but would not do it again. There have been reports of damper failures and when that happens, you can generally kiss your belt goodbye. Instead of a damper, just lower the belt tension as suggested above. Most people report good results by doing this. And, besides, it is less expensive to just adjust. Good luck..... Jim
    Now that I've got 8000+ mile on my 2018, I notice belt vibration a lot less - and I'd think that would agree with a lessening of belt tension over time. I really only notice it when at 75mph+ AND a crosswind, otherwise it's not there.

I'd be really concerned about the bearing in a dampener - consider the speed of the belt multiplied by the small diameter of the bearing and the fact that such bearing is out there in the shizz... I wouldn't trust one longer than a season unless you babied that tensioner bearing daily...

Spyder Garage

x2 Keep it simple and safe!! The more you add on the more you have to look out for and maintain! Worry less, ride more!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

hi is the 2014 rts the same and do you have a belt tensioner on